It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten Planks of Collective Narcissism:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
1. Everyone needs to recognize the authority of our group.
2. Our group has all predispositions to influence others.
3. When our group rules the world it will be a much better place.
4. Our group is extraordinary.
5. Our group must be the center of attention.
6. We will never be satisfied until our group gets all that it deserves.
7. We must insist upon our group getting the respect that is due to it.
8. Our group must amount to something in the eyes of the world.
9. Everyone needs to understand that our group is the most important.
10. Our group deserves special rights beyond that of those we deem as opposing it.

Collective narcissism (or group narcissism) is a type of narcissism where an individual has an inflated self-love of his or her own ingroup, where an "ingroup" is a group in which an individual is personally involved. While the classic definition of narcissism focuses on the individual, collective narcissism asserts that one can have a similar excessively high opinion of a group, and that a group can function as a narcissistic entity. Collective narcissism is related to ethnocentrism; however, ethnocentrism primarily focuses on self-centeredness at an ethnic or cultural level, while collective narcissism is extended to any type of ingroup, beyond just cultures and ethnicities.

en.wikipedia.org...

Don't let this happen to you!
edit on 4-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That perfectly describes both sides of the aisle.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The following tells a lot about the behavior of Collective Narcissists:

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) : Traits discussed

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves.
Narcissists lack a mature conscience and seem to be restrained only by fear of being punished or of damaging their reputations -- though, again, this can be obscure to casual observation if you don't know what they think their reputations are, and what they believe others think of them may be way out of touch with reality.
Narcissists are envious and competitive in ways that are hard to understand.
Narcissists are generally contemptuous of others.
Narcissists are (a) extremely sensitive to personal criticism and (b) extremely critical of other people. They think that they must be seen as perfect or superior or infallible, next to god-like (if not actually divine, then sitting on the right hand of God) -- or else they are worthless. There's no middle ground of ordinary normal humanity for narcissists. They can't tolerate the least disagreement.
And they criticize, gripe, and complain about almost everything and almost everyone almost all the time.
Narcissists are naive and vulnerable, pathetic really, no matter how arrogant and forceful their words or demeanor.
Narcissists are grandiose. They live in an artificial self invented from fantasies of absolute or perfect power, genius, beauty, etc. Normal people's fantasies of themselves, their wishful thinking, take the form of stories -- these stories often come from movies or TV, or from things they've read or that were read to them as children. They involve a plot, heroic activity or great accomplishments or adventure: normal people see themselves in action, however preposterous or even impossible that action may be -- they see themselves doing things that earn them honor, glory, love, riches, fame, and they see these fantasy selves as personal potentials, however tenuous, something they'd do if they didn't have to go to school or go to work, if they had the time and the money.
As Freud said of narcissists, these people act like they're in love with themselves. And they are in love with an ideal image of themselves -- or they want you to be in love with their pretend self, it's hard to tell just what's going on. Like anyone in love, their attention and energy are drawn to the beloved and away from everyday practicalities. Narcissists' fantasies are static -- they've fallen in love with an image in a mirror or, more accurately, in a pool of water, so that movement causes the image to dissolve into ripples; to see the adored reflection they must remain perfectly still.
Narcissists have little sense of humor. They don't get jokes, not even the funny papers or simple riddles, and they don't make jokes, except for sarcastic cracks and the lamest puns.
Narcissists are totally and inflexibly authoritarian.
Narcissists feel entitled to whatever they can take. They expect privileges and indulgences, and they also feel entitled to exploit other people without any trace of reciprocation.
It's very hard to have a simple, uncomplicated good time with a narcissist.
Appearances are all there is with narcissists -- and their self-hatred knows no bounds.
Narcissists hate to live alone. Their inner resources are skimpy, static, and sterile, nothing interesting or attractive going on in their hearts and minds, so they don't want to be stuck with themselves. All they have inside is the image of perfection that, being mere mortals like the rest of us, they will inevitably fall short of attaining.

Although for Collective Narcissists perhaps it should be called Narcissistic Sociality Disorder (NSD)?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I stumbled across this thread and thought I was reading the Dem party platform for their convention.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

It DOES. So now that we have this metric, perhaps a sort of 'political spectrum' graph is due.

One I recently took note of is the Horseshoe Spectrum, which could be a good model of influence for this:

Many will understand this term I used — millennial social justice advocates — as a synonym to the pejorative “social justice warriors.” It’s a term driven to weakness through overuse, but it illustrates a key issue here: that, sword drawn and bloodthirsty, millennial social justice advocates have taken to verbal, emotional — and sometimes physical — violence.

In a dazzlingly archetypical display of horseshoe theory, this particular brand of millennial social justice advocates have warped an admirable cause for social, economic, and political equality into a socially authoritarian movement that has divided and dehumanized individuals on the basis of an insular ideology guised as academic theory. The modern social justice movement launched on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Jezebel, Slate, Huffington Post, et al. is far more reminiscent of a Red Scare (pick one) than the Civil Rights Movement.

When George Orwell wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four (and here some will lambast me for picking a white male author from a historically colonialist power despite the fact that he fought and wrote against this colonialism), he wrote it to warn against the several dangers of extremism on either side of the political spectrum. Orwell’s magnum opus is about authoritarianism on both ends of the political spectrum. If the arc of the moral universe bends toward justice, then the arc of the political spectrum bends toward authoritarianism at both ends.

Note: That was written by a liberal.

Here's a better version:

edit on 4-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
1-10 fits the human race view of ourselves , heil humans !

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Extremists are extremists.

People have a right to act excessively until it infringes others rights or breaks the law.

Ignore them, they'll get more extreme and cut off their nose in spite of their face. We will always have extremists in all walks of life. 100 years ago it was firebrand preachers today it's just more prevailent amongst the masses.

The best way to stop a cause is to force it to extremes. It's a fail-proof tactic.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Can anyone here name any organization that is free of all 10?

It's a serious question. Does one such organization exist?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I just want to live my life with my family and not be noticed by anyone

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18

I just want to live my life with my family and not be noticed by anyone

Live well with little desires and few regrets.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mrgone

Socio Agnosticism might have the makings for such, although it isn't an organization, it's inherently anti-group, and practiced only by one that I know of.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mrgone

no...they do not exist.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Ya know, I think I've found an example of what you're trying to describe!

Click here for the SURPRISE reveal!!!!! You'll shocked!!!!

Am I the only person that finds it a bit ironic, if not strange, that their domain name a .com, and not a .org?

edit on 4-7-2016 by nullafides because: Now with added SQUIRRELS!!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

You and I get that .com is about commerce, or commercialization of an idea/project.

I was just talking to someone about this last week. Most people don't know what .com means.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Yepp. You and I get it.

I feel nothing for those that don't.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Yeah! Kill those whom dont get the meaning of a .com meaning a website being of the commercial nature! Infidels!

Or, back on to the actual topic...

new topics

top topics

join