It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Five Verses in Genesis Chapter One Expounded

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I have a preserved word of God in English that has all the verses in it.

And which English bible would that be?

KJV has all the verses in it, most modern versions that are from the Westcott and Hort Greek have many things expurgated. Especially they are missing Mark chapter 12.

I knew which version he was referring to.

And you and I have discussed Westcott and Hort in the past.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Isn't it cool how there's just enough information in scripture that it can be twisted and molded to say practically anything you want it to.

It would be if that was its purpose.

I would imagine that the creation stories of the previous Babylonian civilization (Akkadian, Sumerian and Canaanite too) had a great deal of influence on the Hebrew version.

And that more than provide testimony, was meant to get on and get off the unanswered question of creation, how? as fast as possible and move on to the creation itself.

The Bible is a multi layered book but I don't exactly like when people use it the way you stated either.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The world is presented as being created in 7 days because that is one week and it provides reason for a day of rest.

While making 6 days of labor mandatory.

Except for the priests and ruling class of course.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Two accounts of creation from two sources (according to scholars) are used in Genesis.

The first:

Day one: light is created, night and day.

Day two: a vault or firmament is created to divide the waters in two. The waters above are separated from the waters below by the vault, which God called 'heaven'.

Day 3 dry land and vegetation

Day 4 the creation of the celestial bodies including the sun. (What was the light on the first day if it wasn't the sun?)

Day 5 Beasts and the entire animal kingdom except man.

Day 6 God created man in the image of himself, in the image of God he created him, male and female he created them.

Day 7 Rest

Why is there a second tradition of the creation? According to Bible scholars the first tradition just told is the 'priestly tradition.' The second is the 'Yahwistic tradition.'

In the first, Adam and Eve are created equally not one from the other's rib.

The second is the rib and 'Yahwistic' version.

This is, in Hebrew tradition, because Adam had a first wife named Lilith who was disobedient and turned demonic.

The second account is the account of Eve.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Of course Christianity has a less interesting and clever way of reconciling this.

By not reconciling it, as if there is no discrepancy between the two accounts or flaw in the fact that two combined traditions that don't agree completely were used as one story.

The Jews have a much more intelligent approach because they know mythology from history and that religion is a type of mythology.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AutgnosticOmen

God's Name is YHWH. Besides Him there is no God.

Isaiah 44:6-8

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

God's Name is YHWH. Besides Him there is no God.

Isaiah 44:6-8

I think not. He is not my God, so not the only God.

He has (at least) 72 names. YHWH is called the Tetragrammaton and is more than a shem.

It's HaShem.

Also if You are a Christian you probably believe that Jesus is God.

Jesus is not YHWH.

So so far I count 2 Gods. You can say that the 2 are 1, but they are also still 2.

2=2=2=2.
edit on 5-7-2016 by AutgnosticOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Do you even know basic Hebrew? HaShem means "The name" in Hebrew. It's a title, not a proper name of God.

In Isaiah 44:6-8 God said there is no other God and two times He identifies Himself as YHWH in those 3 verses. It's translated as "LORD" in English.

Anytime in the NT when someone said Jesus was the Lord, definite article specific in the Greek, the writers were saying He carried the Name of YHWH. His name means YHWH saves. Yeshua.

edit on 5-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Do you even know basic Hebrew? HaShem means "The name" in Hebrew. It's a title, not a proper name of God.

Do you think I would use the term HaShem if I didn't know what it meant? Do you have a hard time deducing the obvious? Guarantee you just looked that up and had no clue what it meant 10 minutes ago.

You are the one who doesn't understand. "YHWH isn't God's shem it's HaShem" is nothing that should lead you to believe that I don't understand basic Hebrew.

YHWH IS HaShem dummy. But it is not God's name the way you are thinking.

In Isaiah 44:6-8 God said there is no other God and two times He identifies Himself as YHWH in those 3 verses. It's translated as "LORD" in English.

Anytime in the NT when someone said Jesus was the Lord, definite article specific in the Greek, the writers were saying He carried the Name of YHWH. His name means YHWH saves. Yeshua.

So confused. YHWH doesn't even mean Lord, the closest definition in English for Yahweh is "He who is."

So it is not a proper translation and Baal is Lord in Hebrew.

Jesus is not Yahweh.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You guys are way off topic

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Sorry. I will be returning to topic when I have time to go over the second account of creation.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yes, Ba'al is lord in Hebrew, it's a false god, and imitation god, they way the English translators distinguished between the true God and the counterfeit is saying LORD in all caps.

And no I didn't look up HaShem 10 minutes ago, do you think your the first Joker that came in these forums thinking he had some great revelation that YHWH wasn't the true God? People have been on here saying everything in the Bible is the Name of God except YHWH. HaShem, Enjeh, Adonai, Elohyim, and on and on and on and on ad infinitum.

Everyone wants to make the titles into names and the real name a false god.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Just like Allah means god in Arabic, but we know he is a false god and not the LORD God Almighty.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Whatever you say.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Just like Allah means god in Arabic, but we know he is a false god and not the LORD God Almighty.

Indeed, and the reason the Jews say HaShem is the same reason they type G-d, they think it's irreverent and they aren't even worthy to utter the Name Yahweh. And as the other member said, it's still not His true name because it's unpronounceable, it's 72 consonant letters. Closest we get is YHWH and even that is unpronounceable without inferring and adding vowels.
edit on 5-7-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Indeed, and the reason the Jews say HaShem is the same reason they type G-d, they think it's irreverent and they aren't even worthy to utter the Name Yahweh.

You are not worthy to judge worthiness. That position is filled.

And as the other member said, it's still not His true name because it's unpronounceable, it's 72 consonant letters. Closest we get is YHWH and even that is unpronounceable without inferring and adding vowels.

The OP seems to prefer his thread remain on topic.

Respect it.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Allah is the God of the Abrahamic faiths. It is just a different language but it is still the same entity as the Hebrew God and the Quran is clear about that.

Islam is not so different from Christianity or Judaism and I know this from experience not what people say while in hate gossip mode.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I find it noteworthy though you request we remain on topic when it comes to hatred of Islam you make an exception.

Hatred is the only reason to call your own God false, because Allah is God in Arabic Christianity too.

So he is the God of Moses and of Jesus and Islam honors both traditions in the Quran. You choose to think of Allah as a different God but your thoughts are not powerful enough to make that true.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You guys are way off topic

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Know? Think is the only true word you could have used.

You still would have been wrong, but honest.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join