It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The history of Americas National anthem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I searched and found a thread, but it was void of any information and the video was dead, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

The video I'm posting is the story of how our (Americas) National anthem came to. As a 40 year old, I'm absolutely disgusted with myself that I didn't know our anthem was a true story. I wont lie, as the story went on, I cried listening to the words spoken and their relevance to the song. This was the most powerful explanation of our anthem and really hit home for me.

I hope y'all enjoy this as much as I did. God bless the many men and women before me who made the ultimate sacrifice in keeping us free. And God bless our current military members who keep us free. Thank you for your service.

Happy Independence Day.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
He got the name of the fort wrong, It`s not fort Henry it`s fort McHenry, and reason they had to subdue the fort was so that they could sail safely past it to the inner harbor and land troops in Baltimore.
From Baltimore the troops could march both north to Philadelphia and south to Washington. They also needed the harbor so that they had a place to unload all the supplies that the troops would need.
the Patapsco river at the point where the fort is located., is where the river connects with the inner harbor and is very narrow, any British ship that tried to sail past the fort would have easily been sunk. They had to completely subdue the fort because even if just a few cannons and troops remained in the fort the first ship that tried to sail past would have easily been sunk blocking the channel into the harbor. as long as the flag was still flying over the fort the british knew that there were still troops alive in the fort manning the cannons.everytime the flag was shot down it was important to get it back up to let the British know that there were still troops and cannons in the fort ready to sink any british ship that tried to enter the harbor.
edit on 4-7-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

something most people don't know, is that Key put his poem to the melody of a english drinking song.
here is the song,

"The Anacreontic Song", also known by its incipit "To Anacreon In Heaven", was the official song of the Anacreontic Society, an 18th-century gentlemen's club of amateur musicians in London. The tune was later used by several writers as a setting for their patriotic lyrics. These included two songs by Francis Scott Key, most famously his poem "Defence of Fort McHenry". The latter combination became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner" and was adopted as the national anthem of the United States of America, in 1931.

The Star-Spangled Banner"
Francis Scott Key wrote "Defence of Fort McHenry" during the War of 1812, while detained on a British ship during the night of September 13, 1814, as the British forces bombarded the American fort. Key specifically wrote the lyrics with this familiar patriotic tune in mind, just as he had done with an earlier set of his lyrics, "When the Warrior Returns", in which he had made similar use of "star-spangled banner" imagery.[36] Later retitled "The Star-Spangled Banner", Key's lyrics, set to Stafford Smith's music, became a well-known and recognized patriotic song throughout the United States, and was officially designated as the U.S. national anthem on March 3, 1931.[37] The setting of new lyrics to an existing tune is called a contrafactum.
[38]
en.wikipedia.org...-Spangled_Banner.22

edit on 4-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Bump.

Happy Independence Day!

top topics

join