It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you guys help explain to me spacetime and dark matter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm looking for the simplest explainatioms, but links would also suffice.

I know nothing about dark matter other than it does not obsorb light..

As for space time.. I'm mostly looking into why it itself is affected by gravity. But please explain both assuming I know nothing about it.

Is it possible that dark matter is particles of space time?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadCat

I make no claims to as to understanding how space and time function or there relationship regarding dark matter/energy which comprises 95% of the universe. But to be honest we are only just beginning to develop the tools that will enable us to study the phenomenon in greater detail.

What im saying is that asking for an explanation regarding the subject is quite frankly beyond our present ability as a species.

en.wikipedia.org... Spacetime

en.wikipedia.org... Dark Matter

en.wikipedia.org... Dark Energy

edit on 3-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
As much as I would like to help you understand those I can't nor could any member of earth. That being said I will give what I know to you. Gravity pulls and time goes straight. Combining those is what gives the dark matter. Other than that you are on your own. I'm sorry that I can't give a link to help you get to the top of this. The best link I can give has already been given.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I make no claims to as to understanding how space and time function or there relationship regarding dark matter/energy which comprises 95% of the universe. But to be honest we are only just beginning to develop the tools that will enable us to study the phenomenon in greater detail.

What im saying is that asking for an explanation regarding the subject is quite frankly beyond our present ability as a species.

en.wikipedia.org... Spacetime

en.wikipedia.org... Dark Matter

en.wikipedia.org... Dark Energy

I could wiki it myself.. but thank you.. ^-^

What I'm asking for is a summary of whatever information those links provide. Hehehe.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Sigh.. looks like another night of alcoholic beverages and hours of research and speculation.. at least I find it fun. Thanks guys.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

"Time goes straight"

Time might only appear to be linear down to our limited perspective. As to gravity well once we understand that particular chestnut more thoroughly we might be able to answer a multitude of other questions relating to dark matter and energy.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

A larger gravitational field will slow the ticking of a clock.

Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about Spacetime

Gravitational effects observed in our universe don’t match the amount of matter seen.

Dark Matter for Dummies

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Asking for a summery regarding Spacetime and Dark Matter is beyond my ability.

Im afraid i cannot give a brief statement or account of the main points of something we do not completely understand, or even how they relate to one another.

I may as well say that "The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42"

edit on 3-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

So if you were able to survive a black hole, the effects on a stop watch in a black hole would be slowed?

Youself and time preseption would pretty much become smeared across the spacetime fabrication due to the gravitational affects on spacetime?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadCat
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

So if you were able to survive a black hole, the effects on a stop watch in a black hole would be slowed?

Youself and time preseption would pretty much become smeared across the spacetime fabrication due to the gravitational affects on spacetime?

"What you would experience at the horizon depends on the tidal forces of the gravitational field. The tidal forces at the horizon are inversely proportional to the square of the mass of the black hole. This means the larger and more massive the black hole, the smaller the forces are. If the black hole is only massive enough, you might cross the horizon before you even noticed anything was happening. The effect of these tidal forces is that you would get stretched: the technical term physicists use is “spaghettification”."

10 Things You Should Know About Black Holes

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Different observers in different reference frames observe the passage of time differently. So if you watched someone fall into a black hole holding a clock you'd see their clock running slower and slower as they approached the event horizon.

Time would seem to pass normally to the person falling in the black hole, but they would see your clock appear to run faster and faster relative to theirs, as they fell into the black hole. That is as you say if they could survive the approach to the black hole, which they couldn't for a low mass black hole but they could for a supermassive black hole, which is a little counterintuitive, or at least they could avoid spaghettification. They would probably need some heavy duty radiation protection.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

*The following is one theory among many. No one knows the true answers yet*

If you survived the black hole, as the observer you would not sense a change in the passage of time. If anyone else outside the black hole were watching, they would see you slow to a complete stop at the event horizon. Of course, your feet would stop first and your head last, so you would also appear two-dimensional.

Dark matter is not really dark like a black hole. It is called dark matter because we can't detect it. We can only detect the effects of dark matter, as in objects acting like they are orbiting much more matter than we can see. Some people have claimed our mathematics are incomplete. I believe it is a gravitational current that our observations are not taking into account.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Dark matter you'll have to get from someone else.

But Spacetime is simply the idea that both Space and Time are not separate things but all part of a single concept, specifically when talking about dimensional properties. For example our 3D space is typically labeled as x,y,z which gives you a point in space but that's not all. You must also include t for time just like you include x,y,z to really have a location because nothing in the universe is actually still. Everything is always moving. You might be still on the earth, but the earth is in motion as is our solar system and our galaxy and the cluster of galaxies our galaxy is in, etc.

So let's say if you plotted x,y and z which put you at your house, that wouldn't be complete without a time vector also, say 3pm. Because a second later that same point x,y,z would have moved because t has changed.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This might help. www.youtube.com... . Basically your light cone bends toward a gravity field.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

But Spacetime is simply the idea that both Space and Time are not separate things but all part of a single concept,

The Space/Time Fabric

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Dark matter is a placeholder assertion until they can develop a proper theory

No one understands space time that's what I can figure out

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I've heard that phrase before, but it's not a fabric. Space is just Space. Time is our perception of moments but it's thought of as a type of Spacial Dimension just like the 3 Space Dimensions.

People say 3D Space is a location which can be plotted in x,y,z terms. X=horizontal, y=vertical, z=forward/backward and Time they usually call the 4th Dimension. But Time is always changing so technically you have to include it to be accurate in plotting a point. We usually disregard Time and just plot a point somewhere. But in reality since Time is always changing and everything is always moving where you plot a point one moment will be different the next moment Relative to everything else.

So they put the two together to make Space/Time. Which is X,Y,Z,T.
edit on 3-7-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
No one understands space time that's what I can figure out

Lot's of people understand it. It's just including Space Dimensions together with the Time Dimension.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Its probably something that cannot truly be explained only experienced and even then how would you know you are experiencing it.

$cience isnt an exact $cience especially when funding is badly needed and or the money is too good to be true
edit on 3-7-2016 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I've never read a satisfactory explanation of time and space

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join