It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bone Box Ruled a Fake

page: 1

join
share:
AF1

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I would provide a link, buts its on a compuserve website, so I don't think many of you can access it. Here is the article:

Last November, an Israeli named Oded Golan produced a limestone box, called an ossuary, that purportedly held the bones of Jesus' brother, James. (An ossuary was used in ancient times as a burial box.) It bears the inscription, "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus." Thought to be the oldest archeological link to New Testament figures, the inscription has now been ruled a forgery by Israel's Antiquities Authority, reports The Associated Press. James, who is referred to as the brother of Jesus in Matthew 13:55, became the head of the church in Jerusalem

Although the limestone box itself is authentic and dates from ancient times, the Antiquities Authority determined the inscription in it was a modern-day forgery. "The box is original; probably we have in our storeroom hundreds of the same or similar ossuaries. The inscription is false," Shuka Dorfman, head of the Antiquities Authority, told AP.
This is the evidence that proves the inscription is a forgery:
--The words were cut through the ancient box's patina, which is a thin coating that is acquired only with age. That proves the writing was not ancient.
--The inscription was written by someone of modern times who was attempting to reproduce ancient characters.

Golan, the owner of the ossuary, dismissed the officials' findings insisting they had "preconceived notions." Had the artifact been authenticated, it would have been worth between $1 million to $2 million. Golan claims he purchased the box in the mid-1970s from an antiquities dealer in the Old City of Jerusalem for about $200. However, antiquities inspectors think he may have purchased it more recently. If that's the case he and others involved in the sale could be prosecuted for dealing in stolen goods. The police investigation continues

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hmmm, that makes me think, i heard my freind saying that in her religion class they were told that box was the only evidence they had to prove the exsitense of Christ, i mean scientific evidence. I could be wrong, though thats what she told me, and i myself have never looked into it.
Deep

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
AFI....it was on the news here the other day.....You are correct!

It was a fake!

I remember hearing about this some time ago.....

The truth always comes out.....it may take some time...but in the end it always comes out!

join