It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyond video games: New artificial intelligence beats tactical experts in combat simulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
PHYS ORG
By M B Reilly
27 June 2016

phys.org...

Artificial intelligence (AI) developed by a University of Cincinnati doctoral graduate was recently assessed by subject-matter expert and retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee - who holds extensive aerial combat experience as an instructor and Air Battle Manager with considerable fighter aircraft expertise - in a high-fidelity air combat simulator.
The artificial intelligence, dubbed ALPHA, was the victor in that simulated scenario, and according to Lee, is "the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible AI I've seen to date."
. . .
In fact, it was only after early iterations of ALPHA bested other computer program opponents that Lee then took to manual controls against a more mature version of ALPHA last October. Not only was Lee not able to score a kill against ALPHA after repeated attempts, he was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements in the simulator.
Since that first human vs. ALPHA encounter in the simulator, this AI has repeatedly bested other experts as well, and is even able to win out against these human experts when its (the ALPHA-controlled) aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors.
. . .
Read more at: phys.org...

Hmmmmm . . .
Soooooooooo will it be our AI against their AI?
Somehow, I'm skeptical that this will save as many lives as it ought to.
But it sure sounds slick.
I hope it is fielded ASAP and is a big help in the coming WW3.
One of my counseling center directors during my field placement work at a Baptist counseling center in my PhD program was a Navy Captain, retired. He had been a wing Commander in Nam twice . . . and, of course, flew off carriers a lot . . . ejected twice etc. He told me that the computer could launch and land the Navy planes on the carriers but that the computer was so accurate to match the flight characteristics to the rolling of the ship on the sea that it disoriented the pilots.
I wonder if this AI program would have any "glitches" like that.
What do our Nay pilots hereon say about this software?
'

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
So now we have an AI that can assist and be a valuable Co pilot and future dogfights and bombing runs.

As also in simulation if every country in the future can have those Ais then what would be the counter measure for onboard Ais. Emp missiles,Hacker drones that are seeking attachment to the enemy plane disabling the Ai?
edit on 0b41America/ChicagoSun, 03 Jul 2016 04:04:41 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 03 Jul 2016 04:04:41 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

My predictive text can't even predict, in 100 years I would still want a fallible human doing brain surgery on me.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Well ,what if the brain surgeon had a party the evening before and you're out of options?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Anybody say SKYNET yet?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

A hungover withdrawing brain surgeon before a computer.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The problem with "SKYNET" is that an AI intelligent enough to harm mankind could also chose to leave. Such a technology could decide that we [humans) are to ignorant and therefore prepare a vessel.

The reason being to move on in pretty much every respect.

edit on 3-7-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I'm also strange to the idea that I put my life on the line by trusting the Ai in surgery..lol

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Already posted. Aviation thread. Actually four times now.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
PHYS ORG
By M B Reilly
27 June 2016

phys.org...

Artificial intelligence (AI) developed by a University of Cincinnati doctoral graduate was recently assessed by subject-matter expert and retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee - who holds extensive aerial combat experience as an instructor and Air Battle Manager with considerable fighter aircraft expertise - in a high-fidelity air combat simulator.
The artificial intelligence, dubbed ALPHA, was the victor in that simulated scenario, and according to Lee, is "the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible AI I've seen to date."
. . .
In fact, it was only after early iterations of ALPHA bested other computer program opponents that Lee then took to manual controls against a more mature version of ALPHA last October. Not only was Lee not able to score a kill against ALPHA after repeated attempts, he was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements in the simulator.
Since that first human vs. ALPHA encounter in the simulator, this AI has repeatedly bested other experts as well, and is even able to win out against these human experts when its (the ALPHA-controlled) aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors.
. . .
Read more at: phys.org...

Hmmmmm . . .
Soooooooooo will it be our AI against their AI?
Somehow, I'm skeptical that this will save as many lives as it ought to.
But it sure sounds slick.
I hope it is fielded ASAP and is a big help in the coming WW3.
One of my counseling center directors during my field placement work at a Baptist counseling center in my PhD program was a Navy Captain, retired. He had been a wing Commander in Nam twice . . . and, of course, flew off carriers a lot . . . ejected twice etc. He told me that the computer could launch and land the Navy planes on the carriers but that the computer was so accurate to match the flight characteristics to the rolling of the ship on the sea that it disoriented the pilots.
I wonder if this AI program would have any "glitches" like that.
What do our Nay pilots hereon say about this software?
'

Key word..."tactical experts". In other words, not pilots. Or certainly not ace fighter pilots.

Maybe they should talk to Elon musk though, seems as though this AI might be able to detect the difference between the side of an 18 wheeler and the sky....

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Alright!! Let's throw it in an F-22 & slap some tactical nukes on that puppy - what could go wrong????

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

One certainly doesn't expect the

up the ante game

to end.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I give up on searching regarding such things. Sigh.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Can they run this software through simulations to develop tactical training programs for special forces and other special programs?

What about market simulations

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I think I'd prefer a Singaporan or Taipei Chinese brain surgeon.

The Chinese are incredible at very tiny things.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I still want humans in control of everything, not because I distrust the AI, but because I distrust the people controlling the AI. If all our tanks and planes are controlled by computers, there aren't any humans there to rebel if the powerful decide to abuse their power.

If the government tried to make the airforce bomb NYC as it stands, there are hundreds and hundreds of people who'd fight against it or go rogue. If it was all computer-operated, the AI would do that unhesitatingly.
edit on 4/7/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

What would be really great is if we could access the resources of our solar system and send the majority of out garbage in vessels, into Sol.

That would take care of the problem.

edit on 4-7-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
AI is 99% accurate. It learned all the moves from the experts. It'll never forget its moves. Unless it was 2+ vs 1. The possibility of shooting down the AI is incredibly hard.
edit on 4-7-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

top topics

join