It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: new line of posters inspiring children to...living their adult lives on Mars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
FULL TITLE:

NASA has introduced a new line of promotional posters aimed at inspiring children to envision living their adult lives on Mars.

Sputnik International

17 June 2016
sputniknews.com...

Humans inhabiting Mars once seemed like an impossible science fiction fantasy, but many in the space industry believe we are getting close to making it a reality. NASA predicts that human exploration of the Red Planet may be as little as 30 years away.
. . .
By the time it becomes feasible however, current adults will be too old to take the 30-million-mile trip. For that reason, NASA is targeting 2nd graders with their Mars exploration promotions.

Hmmmmmm.
OK.
Is this some sort of . . . real . . . program . . . or some kind of social experiment . . . or what?
I'm quite skeptical that we'll be going to Mars before the oligarchy shreds the bulk of Western culture. I realize that TPTB expect to be able to genocidally destroy most of the global population with a massive WWIII as well as other ugly stuff . . . AND STILL maintain all the technology etc. etc. etc.
I don't know how that is going to work. I don't think they know near as much about "managing chaos" as they think they do.
Sometimes, I even wonder how the folks in the ISS would return to earth amidst a WWIII scenario--particularly where Russia, China et al are attacking the USA.
And how do these 2nd graders get guided into viable programs that eventually land them on Mars when it is sooooo much pie in the sky . . . unless we are talking about anti-grav craft that can get there in hours or a few days.
And I wonder what kind of indoctrination they would undergo about Politically Correct; the structure of government on Mars etc. etc. etc.?
And I can just imagine all the wailing of all the mothers about losing their darlings forever.
This has some of the old GO WEST, YOUNG MAN, GO WEST adventurism to it . . . I just wonder if there's a shred of realism to it.
But there are far better space jockeys than I could ever imagine being hereon. Maybe y'all will have some better insights and comments?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Have a better source than state-run sputnik?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

No.

But it can't be any more biased, controlled or schlocky

than the MSM . . . CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I spent almost 6 months in Russia in 2015. They don't have sputnik there. It's only for Westerners is an admitted propaanda tool. Sorry.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

This is our destiny, I would support my children to go even if it was one way.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

CNN

When I was in elementary, we were always exposed to NASA's future plans, astronauts would speak to us a few times a year, we wwould take field trips to the Space Center almost every year.

Space station living, future shuttle, more missions to the moon, the need for computer scientists etc.

Wasn't a bad thing.

mg

edit on 30-6-2016 by missed_gear because: spelling

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Are you saying you think the entire article is a fabrication of the KGB?

Certainly possible. Just seems like a silly thing to do.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

This is our destiny, I would support my children to go even if it was one way.

I wouldn't want to stand in the way of their dreams.

But I'd sure feel a ton of angst about missing them.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

CNN

When I was in elementary, we were always exposed to NASA's future plans, astronauts would speak to us a few times a year, we wwould take field trips to the Space Center almost every year.

Space station living, future shuttle, more missions to the moon, the need for computer scientists etc.

Wasn't a bad thing.

mg

Yeah. I remember NASA posters from elementary school, too. It was mind stretching stuff back then.

For some reason, I never imagined myself going into space in those sorts of craft. LOL.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

The link I posted are of the posters released this year, there are more that can be found.

mg

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Not at all. I'm saying I don't trust a news organizations that isn't allowed in the country that is funding it. Good propaganda mixes with truth with lies.

That said...

Posters

Mars wants you!

Always better from the horses mouth so to speak.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Consider that our "best and brightest" aren't the ones we send to conquer a new frontier.

The majority of people that will sign up for this will be people that have burned their bridges on Earth and Mars is their last hope to start a new life (like Florida).

Like the New World before, it will at first be mainly populated by criminals and low lifes.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I guess I'm fine with trying to keep kids interested in science, but adults should know better than to buy into Mars hype.

Would you really want to go live in Antarctica? It has some of the same features but also some nicer ones like how it's cheaper and quicker to get home when you realize there is no reason to live there. You also don't have to worry about a broken oxygen generator killing everybody, radiation, etc. It would still make no sense for anyone except research scientists who had to be there for their particular research.

We're not running out of physical space. We're not running out of energy or resources. We do need to really master the active management, regulation, care for, etc our biosphere during the next 0-3 centuries, but that should be easier than putting a ton of people on Mars, because there is no or next to no biosphere on Mars anyway.

For a sci-fi future lifestyle, try the oceans, earth orbit, the Lagrange points, the moon...there seriously aren't too many worse ideas than going all the way out to Mars just to live on a big dead rock.

The glory of Mars exploration has gone to robots. We should stick with that. Give Mars to the robots, the AI, the machine life. Not that we'd kick them off Earth entirely, just that they'd also have their own planet to develop and themselves develop on.

The machines could, as part of the agreement, run a small tourism industry for humans who want to see the big mountains and canyons etc, which is about the only reason an average person might ever really want to go there for a little while.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The only reason we are all still sitting here is that they still need talent and they still need to learn more about how to control humanity.

When the day comes that something bad happens through war or just the universe being a dick they already have their space colonies/bases and transports ready to shove off to safetey so this current reality is just a fun experiment to them at this point.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Y'all. I saw the Martian and Imma go ahead and pass on this. I'm not as talented as Matt Damien

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
It isn't about getting people to live on Mars, it's about inspiring interest in space and space research. From the CNN article linked to above:

JPL visual strategist Dan Goods explains that the images are intended to celebrate the diversity of planets being discovered -- and to increase the desire among the public to be curious about the universe.

If you inspire enough people it might once again become a priority when allocating budgets and it might just attract the kind if minds that will do the research that might one day make it possible.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

I got inspired by this sort of thing. Too early *sigh*.
www.amazon.com...

Then, there was Bonestell.
www.google.com...=ZvTQC kXLJpbUoM%3A
edit on 7/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I got inspired by this sort of thing. Too early *sigh*.
www.amazon.com...

Then, there was Bonestell.
www.google.com...=ZvTQC kXLJpbUoM%3A

That put a lump in my throat.

I'm reminded of a quote from Babylon 5:

"See, in the last few years, we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. You know, we have to make people lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, "Make my life have meaning." And to our inheritors before us saying, "Create the world we will live in." We're not just...holding jobs and having dinner. We're in the process of building the future. That's what [it's] is all about. Only by making people understand that can we hope to create a better world for ourselves, and our posterity."

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I had my dad's classic sci-fi (Clarke, Heinlein, Harrison et al.) and Apollo

The one thing I have to thank arguing with hoax nuts for is allowing me to rediscover just how incredible all that stuff was.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I wonder if any explorer was not inspired by tales of adventure told when they were very young.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join