It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of millennial entitlement was created to hide their parents’ mistakes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Not my title so don't have a panic attack and post 400 times about it.

It's pretty popular these days to blame young people on the world's problems but they don't really have any power economically or politically. The market has been shut down and politics have been usurped since Kennedy. Not like they can do anything.

The myth of millennial entitlement was created to hide their parents’ mistakes

In this way, critics often end up repackaging millennials’ economic desperation as lifestyle choices, leading to a sort of generational gaslighting over what life in the new economy is really like.

Like the sharing economy? We're to lazy to buy houses, it has nothing to do with the fact that we can't afford them because companies won't pay to train people anymore unless your connected or have the right social network, which most don't.

Indeed, terms like “preference” and “choice” still dominate media coverage of millennials. But if anything holds this tenuously defined generation together, it is a lack of options. Americans who have lived much of their adult lives in the aftermath of the Great Recession have lower incomes, less mobility, and greater financial dependence on older relatives than any other generation in modern history. Many millennials do not have a lot of choice. They are merely reacting to lost opportunity.

Lazy good for nothings using this as an excuse. Globalism and bad trade deals and poorly enforced immigration policy has nothing to do with a devalued labor force and corporate America refusing to enable and train the next generation with a solid skillset and a potential future has nothing to do with it!

For most Americans under 40, life since 2008 has been a struggle to survive. But it is worth noting that plenty of older Americans share the same struggles as their younger peers. Many older people laid off in the recession were unable to regain good jobs. There are plenty of older people with few retirement savings, with their finances drained from paying for both elderly parents and jobless children. We need to acknowledge the way our struggles are intertwined, instead of allowing the media to stoke manufactured class and generational resentment.

Things are bad for everyone stop blaming each other and take ownership and let's create change.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Vicious cycle. Gen X blamed the Boomers. The hippies blamed the depression era. Etc. Etc. Etc.

This is pretty par for the course, just in reverse this time.

ETA- S&F for awareness.
edit on 30-6-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Or....you know....highlight it....

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I agree with you one, I am a millennial and work nearly 50 hours a week and still have to rely on food stamps. I'm not lazy, I work my ass off every day and have barely anything to show for it.

The economy is #, millennials inherited it, we didn't create it and people who say that "all" millennials feel entitled based on what the vocal minority say or do are ignorant of the facts. When I joined the work force the economy was already in a downward spiral, that's not my fault and does not reflect my work ethic one bit.
edit on 6/30/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Yeah....whatever keeps us fussing and distracted from the actual problems.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
America will bounce back.

We always have and we always will.

Too bad the very young cannot remember being proud American's.

America will rise again. We just need a leader...

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Proper leadership is definitely what we need.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Vicious cycle. Gen X blamed the Boomers. The hippies blamed the depression era. Etc. Etc. Etc.

This is pretty par for the course, just in reverse this time.

ETA- S&F for awareness.

With the exception being the "hippies" were correct/right and continue to be but in lieu of listening and reading/hearing what they have to offer, they instead are ridiculed over the most asinine things, trivial things that have no bearing..

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I find that article to be pretty true One. Glad you found it and are addressing this issue of generational blame.
From my experience, generational blame is constant. My father regaled me with stories of how his parents would shake their heads at his generation when I was very young and then as I got older, ended up doing the same to my generation. He blamed the people before him and the people after him. I, of course, blamed him. Then I grew up and blamed everyone before that.

Now, though, I hope to be somewhat free of this circular blame game. You are right in that the present generation of young lack the opportunities available to previous generations. But those opportunities were not always available.

The Great Depression (1929 to basically 1941) offered almost no opportunities for work for large segments of society.
WWII came along and everybody went to work for the effort. After the war, every industrial country in the world with a manufacturing base had been bombed to smithereens. This left only the US unscathed. Our manufacturing base continued on without a stutter and there was work for everyone supplying goods not only for the US but for the whole world. Now though, the world is closing that gap and the work available to the last generation or two in no longer there.

So, continuing to see the world through the eyes of someone who HAD those opportunities clouds ones vision into think that everyone still has those opportunities and this could not be further from the truth. But human myopia is not limited to one generation alone. It spreads itself out equally among-st us all.
edit on 30America/ChicagoThu, 30 Jun 2016 13:30:36 -0500Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:30:36 -050016062016-06-30T13:30:36-05:00100000030 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

We're to lazy to buy houses, it has nothing to do with the fact that we can't afford them because companies won't pay to train people anymore unless your connected or have the right social network, which most don't.

Or that banks loaned money at too high a interest to people that could barely afford to pay the mortgage and then lost their jobs overseas.

Thats not the parents fault. You want to fix it, drag the damn banksters out in the street and string them up.

Good luck with that. Their ivory towers are military police protected 24/7. Reminds me of the Matrix.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Glad you actually read through the article.

Thanks for reading and I agree with you completely here!

So, continuing to see the world through the eyes of someone who HAD those opportunities clouds ones vision into think that everyone still has those opportunities and this could not be further from the truth. But human myopia is not limited to one generation alone. It spreads itself out equally among-st us all.

The world is changing faster than ever and people can't keep up. Can't really blame anyone we just need to start owning it and accepting the change and adapting accordingly.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Scumbag Boomers: Bankrupt the company, retire on fraud and point at Millenials/Gen-Y&X, "why are you guys so lazy get a job!"

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
Scumbag Boomers: Bankrupt the company, retire on fraud and point at Millenials/Gen-Y&X, "why are you guys so lazy get a job!"

Lol.

You probably didn't read the article.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I believe the truth to this is more near the middle of both arguments. Sure, I'm a millennial and we inherited the bad economy. But the social justice mindset in most millennials and the fact not many of them want to do menial work, creates a culture where if they believe their work is worth than what it really is. And that results in a echo chamber of social injustice and denigration against young people, instead of working their asses off to reach their perceived worth and accepting the reality in the case of overreaching the limitations.

Everybody want's to be comfortable, but few are willing to go through discomfort to achieve it.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The world is changing faster than ever and people can't keep up. Can't really blame anyone we just need to start owning it and accepting the change and adapting accordingly.

And this, as I think you may have addressed in other threads is, for my thinking, an even bigger but less comprehensible reality. While everything we have learned from history tells us that change happens, it tells us that for the most of our human history, it changes slowly if at all. Baring the catastrophic changes that come through extended wars or famines or plagues or whatever, we can see that for most of our time on earth, there were no generational gaps. The fathers past on to the children the wisdom of the previous generations. Why was it wisdom? Because things never changed much. One after another after another, all following the same basic set of memes or religious teachings over and over and over.

Now however, and we had all better learn this soon as you say, this is not the case and for my mind has not been the case for only about a hundred years or so. Now in the last 70 years since WWII that pace of change has accelerated and now those changes that used to take a couple of hundred years or more slowly effecting the people within them, now are doing so in not only one generation but almost changing several times within the period of one generation. The wisdom of the elders is now the shackles of outmoded adherence to realities that no longer exist.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I agree with you one, I am a millennial and work nearly 50 hours a week and still have to rely on food stamps. I'm not lazy, I work my ass off every day and have barely anything to show for it.

The economy is #, millennials inherited it, we didn't create it and people who say that "all" millennials feel entitled based on what the vocal minority say or do are ignorant of the facts. When I joined the work force the economy was already in a downward spiral, that's not my fault and does not reflect my work ethic one bit.

I, too, am a millennial. Unfortunately, I have grown to expect a lessor on the totem pole of life, like yourself, to make excuses for our generation. However, in an effort of fair play and substantial justice, I want our audience to recognize that I grew up poor and now earn a satisfactory salary. I usually work less than 40 hours a week and have a very attractive girlfriend. I have never and will never use food stamps. I am a lucky man, and it ends there, as like you, my life is not reflective of my work ethic or life choices.

Puke
edit on 30-6-2016 by JoeLowUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I find that article to be pretty true One. Glad you found it and are addressing this issue of generational blame.
From my experience, generational blame is constant. My father regaled me with stories of how his parents would shake their heads at his generation when I was very young and then as I got older, ended up doing the same to my generation. He blamed the people before him and the people after him. I, of course, blamed him. Then I grew up and blamed everyone before that.

Now, though, I hope to be somewhat free of this circular blame game. You are right in that the present generation of young lack the opportunities available to previous generations. But those opportunities were not always available.

The Great Depression (1929 to basically 1941) offered almost no opportunities for work for large segments of society.
WWII came along and everybody went to work for the effort. After the war, every industrial country in the world with a manufacturing base had been bombed to smithereens. This left only the US unscathed. Our manufacturing base continued on without a stutter and there was work for everyone supplying goods not only for the US but for the whole world. Now though, the world is closing that gap and the work available to the last generation or two in no longer there.

That should tell us all something, war is the employment motivator. So, expect some war, that will get everyone going.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

S&F I can agree the fault is at least 90% on the parents, don't coddle them and tell they are special just because they showed up. Success is rewarded, showing up is expected.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Proper leadership is definitely what we need.

Then don't expect that in this election.

And leadership by whom? Which position? Which job title needs to lead you?

Is that the problem? Everyone is waiting for a leader, so there isn't one stepping up that's worth a damn except for the power-hungry, opportunist loud mouths that have zero real leadership skills?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

I wonder how many Romans said this circa 470 C.E.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join