It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit from a 35 year old comedy series, Yes Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
first of all i don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this kind of thread, but here goes nothing.

i saw this clip the other day and its actually an old comedy series from the 80's, although its comical but what struck me was this clip when one of the minister's advisors was telling him how politics work and how it should be done based on hundreds of years of experience, its quite funny however does in my opinion ring a bell

the clip is short only 1.45 and pretty interesting

Yes Minister — Why Britain Joined the European Union

so what do you think

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Nice find Dr.

That show was so good. Smartest political commentary you'll ever hear.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

I was too young to get it when Yes Minister was on the box , I have since learned it was a fairly accurate depiction of life in the corridors of power.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well, that's a little unsettling. Probably not far off the mark either.

Chaos through Order.

I never understood Daddy's shows back then. Perhaps I should go back and give them a try.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mrwiffler
Nice find Dr.

That show was so good. Smartest political commentary you'll ever hear.

thanx and glad you liked it , and certainly is the smartest political commentary

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
first of all i don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this kind of thread, but here goes nothing.

i saw this clip the other day and its actually an old comedy series from the 80's, although its comical but what struck me was this clip when one of the minister's advisors was telling him how politics work and how it should be done based on hundreds of years of experience, its quite funny however does in my opinion ring a bell

the clip is short only 1.45 and pretty interesting

Yes Minister — Why Britain Joined the European Union

ha excellent post! I've watched this Series, very funny and true.

edit on 6/29/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I was too young to get it when Yes Minister was on the box , I have since learned it was a fairly accurate depiction of life in the corridors of power.

me too i was also too young at the time when we used to go to London every summer and had no choice but to watch BBC & ITV, and yes you are correct it used to be meaningful back then.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Oh my God. Now, I'm just a bloody Yank from Texas, but I've always loved the Yes, Minister series. Good stuff. Is there a modern series that compares to this one?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That's the truth, right there.

Of course, what the Civil servants didn't count on was a mutiny amongst the people.

Let us be honest, the U.K Government did not want to Brexit, the majority of M.P's wanted to remain. If they truly represent their constituencies, they would have known the risks of a referendum and it was evident they didn't.

Now, that leads me to believe that they never speak to their constituents to gain the feeling amongst them.

The arrogance of these people was smashed right back at them, by WE the people. We have had enough of these , self interests serving vermin, and we have decided that the tap on the trickle down economics, is turned up a notch or three.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
"We call it diplomacy, minister."

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo
Oh my God. Now, I'm just a bloody Yank from Texas, but I've always loved the Yes, Minister series. Good stuff. Is there a modern series that compares to this one?

The thick of it.
Lots more swearing, though just as funny.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo

New Statesman with Rik Mayall? It's by no means new, but is a bit more modern.

Takes a slightly sillier approach too, but I enjoyed it.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.. Great series and it sure captures the current shenanigans to a T..

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Loved the new statesman.

Recommend!!!

a reply to: SlowNail

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That was pretty funny although i doubt that its a accurate representation of British EU policy in 2016

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
That was pretty funny although i doubt that its a accurate representation of British EU policy in 2016

We currently have NO policy.

edit on 29/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: Change of word............ Second

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Episode Five: The Writing on the Wall
Hacker: I don't want the truth. I want something I can tell the parliament!
Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?
Hacker: That's all ancient history, surely?
Sir Humphrey: Yes, and current policy. We 'had' to break the whole thing [the EEC] up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn't work. Now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch... The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it's just like old times.
Hacker: But surely we're all committed to the European ideal?
Sir Humphrey: [chuckles] Really, Minister.
Hacker: If not, why are we pushing for an increase in the membership?
Sir Humphrey: Well, for the same reason. It's just like the United Nations, in fact; the more members it has, the more arguments it can stir up, the more futile and impotent it becomes.
Hacker: What appalling cynicism.
Sir Humphrey: Yes... We call it diplomacy, Minister.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I got the box set of this a few years ago as Xmas present. I did used to watch it when I was much younger in the 80s. The one thing I notice about it is that you could remake the whole series in 2016 and would hardly have to touch the scripts.I guess politics never changes.

It is amazing how 36 years ago everyone was laughing at Yes, Minister and you can still laugh at it now!

Nigel Barrage - 2016

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
So the Europeans were used to conquer and destabilize the rest of the world and now it's turning on it's self. Boy were you guys used

top topics

join