It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotty Moore (Elvis Presley's guitarist) Dead 84

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Pioneering rock guitarist Scotty Moore, who was a member of Elvis Presley's original band, has died aged 84.

He died in Nashville on Tuesday after several months of poor health.

He is credited with helping Elvis shape his musical sound and inspired generations of guitarists.

Moore was the last survivor of Elvis's original band which included Presley, bassist Bill Black and producer Sam Phillips.

BBC news, June 29, 2016 - Elvis guitarist Scotty Moore dies aged 84

Another rock and roll great, gone. Sad day for all.

TEOT's anecdote on Scotty Moore (never met the guy I only know him through his music). My high school buddy was travelling through Anchorage on his travels. He taught me how to snowboard at Mt. Alyeska here in town. Since he was always on the move you never knew what to expect! He once called me up when he knew I was at work and recorded an idea for a song he was writing (I helped him learn to play guitar. He and his younger brother have always been big TEOT fans from the start).

Anyway, he shows up at my door with two German tourists in tow! They barely speak English and after a quick beer my buddy leaves me with the two and heads for the airport! They have three hours to kill before I need to drop them off so we open another beer. They kind of ask (pointing, half English, half German) if I play guitar. "Do you know... any... uh,.. play... Elvis?" TEOT obliges by picking up his acoustic guitar and playing That's Alright Ma'ma with them singing in perfect English! We played the song several times before I dropped them off for their flight back home.

Scotty Moore is an influence on so many people as the BBC story says.

(Sorry to post and run but will try to get back here to ATS during the day... no promises!)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Top Ten Songs by Scotty Moore (according to Rolling Stone)

1. That’s All Right
2. Good Rockin’ Tonight
3. Mystery Train
4. Baby Let’s Play House
5. Heartbreak Hotel
6. Blue Suede Shoes
7. Jailhouse Rock
8. Have Guitar Will Travel
9. Tragedy (Tomas Wayne Perkins)
10. Mean Woman Blues

Rolling Stone, Scotty Moore, 10 essential songs.

There is a nice overall write up, as well as on each song which also contains the video. Mystery Train is one of my favorites to just listen to when the mood strikes. Luckily, my downstairs neighbor is a huge Elvis fan. Probably pop down after work and commiserate.

Thanks Rolling Stone for the write up on each song!
edit on 29-6-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Truly a loss to the entire music world. Elvis fan or not (and I am a big one, even at my relatively young age) - Mr. Moore had a giant impact on music. Though his "licks" may seem tame today - imagine what it must have been like at the time to hear such strange sounds coming out of your console radio/record player! It must have truly been a revelation to an entire generation. And indeed, it was.

RIP Mr. Moore.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The music world would be a different place without his contribution.
Good go, man.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

He was amazing and changed music. Thanks TEOT!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: justme2

Thanks to all of you for the responses! And yes, as a new guitarist they were fun to learn. It also applied to future guitar players... like Beck said the tone is whst he was about!

Rock in Presley, Scotty Moore!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Love you bro!

top topics

join