It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis...personal experience

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
a reply to: Raggedyman

Calling out for Jesus has always ended sleep paralysis when I use to have it

Only because it brings the pre-frontal cortex of the brain online powerfully enough to override the tiny electrical storm in the temporal lobes.

It's just sleep paralysis.

Neurologically, the signature features of SP are a conjunction of REM and wakefulness (conscious awareness of one's surroundings). Such awareness only occurs when the pre-frontal cortex is active. If you're thinking, trying to figure out how to stop the SP, that means that part of your brain is already awake and functioning. An active pre-frontal cortex is part of what constitutes the experience, it's not what ends it.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: birdxofxprey

Interesting.

I don't think so, but I'll check it out.

Do you have SP?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Interesting.

I don't think so, but I'll check it out.

Do you have SP?

Yes, I've had it since I was a kid.

While I don't agree with the "theory" put forward in this article, the neurology is (for the most part) confirmed by a lot of other research --

"Brain activity necessary for awareness of one’s surroundings, which lies dormant during REM, tends to reactivate somewhat. The dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, vital to rational thought, revs back up during an attack. This means that the sleeper can think rationally about vivid, bizarre experiences..."
vanwinkles.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yep, me, too, it came on strongest at 15.

It only got more baroque and weird in my 30's. Which makes me wonder about "ingrained neural pathwways" defined by UCLA research (no link, assuming you are up-to-date on Schore's work).

edit on 26-6-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Can SP feel like a seizure?

or can a seizure feel like SP?

are they similar at all?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yep, me, too, it came on strongest at 15.

It only got more baroque and weird in my 30's. Which makes me wonder about "ingrained neural pathwways" defined by UCLA research (no link, assuming you are up-to-date on Schore's work).

Mine started in grade school, don't really remember a time before SP. I'm not familiar with Shore, or any of the UCLA research on SP. I'm trying to get up to speed on recent medical research at the moment, Sleep (the journal), polysomnography, etc. Any links appreciated.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

are they similar at all?

As far as what happens in the brain, seizures are nothing like SP. Seizures can be quite dangerous and require medical advising, not so for SP. Some people say they feel a buzzing sensation during SP, but I don't - so that's just hearsay.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: birdxofxprey

originally posted by: GoShredAK

are they similar at all?

As far as what happens in the brain, seizures are nothing like SP. Seizures can be quite dangerous and require medical advising, not so for SP. Some people say they feel a buzzing sensation during SP, but I don't - so that's just hearsay.

Hear a buzzing sensation , not hearsay

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

Is it like hearing a very large bumble bee?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Like the back window down in a car a little bit , like a whooshing sound .I can create the noise anytime, try pushing your ears forward without touching them , or try to make a scrunched up face , that's what I hear when I it starts

edit on 3-7-2016 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Like the back window down in a car a little bit , like a whooshing sound .I can create the noise anytime, try pushing your ears forward without touching them , or try to make a scrunched up face , that's what I hear when I it starts

I'm not able to create any sound by scrunching my face. But, I've read others' accounts of the buzzing noise, and I heard it at least once myself. What's interesting, though, is that there are non-visual components of the experience (auditory, tactile, olfactory)[b] which seem to be discussed less frequently than the visual part.

Maybe the shadow people are not the only part of the experience that is common or shared?
I'd be interested in finding out more about what other sensory experiences people have during SP (if people are comfortable discussing it).

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm not able to create any sound by scrunching my face. But, I've read others' accounts of the buzzing noise, and I heard it at least once myself. What's interesting, though, is that there are non-visual components of the experience (auditory, tactile, olfactory) which seem to be discussed less frequently than the visual part.

Maybe the shadow people are not the only part of the experience that is common or shared?
I'd be interested in finding out more about what other sensory experiences people have during SP (if people are comfortable discussing it).

I used to be able to make it happen all the time I think my record was 4 or 5 nights on a row , now it ain't so much but happens once or twice a month , I've only seen the shadow figure once , no face or arms but just a black cloak , shear terror but when I came out of it shaking ( body shaking but not moving ) I know strange , I felt euphoria . So I actually encourage it to happen . But I can't get my head around the FLASH now that is weird .

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Flash? You mean like a flash of light? or the superhero?

I had a period of 3-4 years when the shadows came nearly every night, sometimes several times a night. Not pleasant.
edit on 3-7-2016 by birdxofxprey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Also the compressed chest , wooshing ears , visual flash , can't move , tbh it's like , IBE .

Inner body experience .

I have had flying sensations dreams , OBE , maybe but I ain't 100 % it's an OBE so won't call it that .

But I've had sp more than a hundred times !

Forgot to add , and if anybody has had they will agree , THE PEOPLE ON THE LANDING .

Yes when having sp , I'd say half the time I've woken , and they have been people outside the bedroom doors walking ( maybe ghosts , as been tuned in on there level ).

You can't move and you have the terror of them walking to the kids bedroom ,

I get out of it by trying to shake my head and eventually you break free and movement returns with the euphoric feeling .

I'll have a go tonight and report back .

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I had a period of 3-4 years when the shadows came nearly every night, sometimes several times a night. Not pleasant.

Lol no , no superheroes

I was laid in bed bobbing off , so I turned the TV off than did the noise in my ears and then it started , noise gets stronger , movement weaker , than bright flash , like lightning flash outside but the flash came within the room then didn't remember nothing till the morning .

But it was very weird .

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Lol no , no superheroes

I was laid in bed bobbing off , so I turned the TV off than did the noise in my ears and then it started , noise gets stronger , movement weaker , than bright flash , like lightning flash outside but the flash came within the room then didn't remember nothing till the morning .

But it was very weird .

And I ain't trying to yank your chain , if anyone has had it they will back up my story or slate it , either way .

It's real

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Did you just see a cloak or was it , the face , arms ?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Did you just see a cloak or was it , the face , arms ?

I've seen lights too, I see them more now than shadows. And, when there are lights of any kind, the shadow people don't show up (as though they are kept at bay). I've also heard people outside the room, trying to get in.

Most descriptions of the shadow people I've read (and those in the recent documentary) do not include the face, they wear head gear. Some describe it as a hat, it looks more like some kind of assistive technology to me, but it covers the face (if there is one...) and the rest of the head. The body is also covered, with something of solid dark color, it could be a cloak but it doesn't seem that loose-fitting to me. There have arms, but they're vaguely defined. And, whoever they are, they're tall, maybe 6' 6" or 7'.

Oddly, contemporary psychobabble now includes reference to "exploding head syndrome" for people who see bright flashes of light or hear loud noises when falling asleep or waking up. But I haven't read any accounts of this which include being immobilized.

Have you considered using a video camera while you sleep?
edit on 3-7-2016 by birdxofxprey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Inner body experience .

Yes, it often occurs to me that SP is just like an OBE except you're on the inside. And I have, several times, been able to life parts of myself out of myself and move around; head, arms, legs, upper body. Fear can prevent this, but if you can get out of panic mode you can leave your body. However, I refrain from doing so if shadows are present...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Mine was definitely a cloak figure , I could see the sleeve hanging down and the face was just blacker then black , like an abyss or black hole.

Ireland study TAKE PART

www.thejournal.ie...

www.nuigalway.ie...< br />

Scroll on the comments below on the links and it all ties in nicely to what we have been saying

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join