It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

justification to break the ten commandments

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Its been decades since had faith or read a bible my faith died on the battlefield long ago . From what I remember of the bible and its teachings part of it was the ten commandments .

How can people who claim to be good christians justify breaking them ?

If remembering right it says among other things
Thou shall not commit adultery : ironically my wife been having an affair with a christian the past 5 years 3 years ago she ran off with the bastard taking my daughter with her . Have not got to see or speak to my daughter since . Adding further insult to injury theyre brainwashing my daughter with christian rubbish that they themselves dont even follow .

So for all the good christians out there how do you justify breaking the teachings of your faith along with stealing a mans only family from him ?

Would really like to know how you all justify such vile acts .

Before anyone starts the only commandment I ever broke was thou shall not kill and that was while was in the army in combat . So yes I admit Im not perfect .

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Sorry man, that's some load of BS you got put through.

I was raised Catholic but dropped it in my teens because of the obvious hypocrisy. It was one of the best things I ever did and embarked on a spiritual journey that's still continuing decades later

Nobody has ever provided me with a logical answer that justified breaking the sixth commandment in the name of war. ”Thou shall not kill” is pretty black & white, yet the mental and verbal gymnastics I've seen people go through to present a ridiculous reason are nothing short of mindblowing.

Keep your head up

ETA: I'm not judging you for your actions in war btw. Just offering the opinion of a non-Christian
edit on 25-6-2016 by AgarthaSeed because: None

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There is no justification to break the ten commandments; in the end, the reality is that all humans are prone to do wrong as it suits us, usually our decision to do wrong ends up hurting not only ourselves, but others too, and we are really good at making excuses to do the wrong thing.
So sorry that she did that to you.

edit on 25-6-2016 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

To me, it only goes to show that the commandments are guidelines....common sense.

Not the words of a God. Nor the requirement for being "saved".

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

That sounds like an awful experience and I am sorry to hear you had to go through it.

If it makes you feel any better, I only follow the last five of them. The first five have nothing to do with the likes of me.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I feel like it isn't... totally... that 'black and white.' The idea of "thou shalt not kill" is actually more along the lines of "'though shalt not 'murder'" The reason for this is that 'murder' would be an 'unlawful' killing, but there are many times and reasons given for when there would be a 'lawful' killing. Thus... a 'lawful killing' wouldn't be the same as a 'murder.' Or, perhaps not 'lawful' but what could be seen as 'justifiable.' Look at Jewish Law. The Mitzvot, which means 'commandments' and you can see a difference between the way killing or murder is presented. For example: "Don't kill the murderer before trying him." That clearly means you COULD kill him after a fair trial where someone was found guilty and shows that killing and murder are not the same thing. There are also mentions of 'accidental homicides' and so forth... which is STILL killing someone... but it isn't murder.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

That's the nature of religion. A lot of the faithful will justify things that conflict with the 10 commandments. I'm sure anyone whose been in the military remembers praying to God to keep them safe in battle. They then go out and take a life. Radical Islamists kill and torture people in the name of Mohammed!

Catholics have a saint for anything under the sun. They kneel down and pray to them. They also pray to Mary. It really goes against "I am the Lord thy God, I will have no other Gods before me." Hmmmm....

"I shall not steal," how many ministers and preachers have become millionaires on the backs of their poor followers?

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." How many of us work on Sundays? It's also the only day we can find time to mow the lawn or do some gardening work. Really, the Sabbath is supposed to be on Saturday.

"Honor thy father and thy mother," ...this young generation is screwed.

"Thou shalt not commit adultery" Many faithful have broken that one! With the divorce rate at over 50%, it seems like many are cheating on the side.

I guess we could go on and on. Most people who I came to know who are faithful church goers are some of the meanest and biggest bigots I know!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Why are you asking us to rationalize and apologize for what some other Christian did? Jesus said we have two commandments, love God with all our mind and strength and love our neighbor as ourselves. It's pretty obvious adultery isn't loving a neighbor as you would yourself. That person would be hurt and angry if someone committed adultery on them.

And why did the battlefield make you lose your faith?? The battlefield is probably the best example that there is evil in the world, that there is a dark side who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy. Just curious.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

Sorry man, that's some load of BS you got put through.

I was raised Catholic but dropped it in my teens because of the obvious hypocrisy. It was one of the best things I ever did and embarked on a spiritual journey that's still continuing decades later

Nobody has ever provided me with a logical answer that justified breaking the sixth commandment in the name of war. ”Thou shall not kill” is pretty black & white, yet the mental and verbal gymnastics I've seen people go through to present a ridiculous reason are nothing short of mindblowing.

Keep your head up

ETA: I'm not judging you for your actions in war btw. Just offering the opinion of a non-Christian

The 6th in Hebrew actually says "thou shalt not murder", meaning the taking of innocent life. Capital punishment as a result of due process and war where you are doing the will of the government and where the enemy is trying to kill you wouldn't fall into the category of "murder". I mean, I suppose it could if I killed a person who was surrendering or a POW.
edit on 25-6-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

To me, it only goes to show that the commandments are guidelines....common sense.

They're "common sense" because God has written His laws on the heart of all mankind. Yes, it's "common sense" to every human, that's how God operates.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

How can people who claim to be good christians justify breaking them ?

I suppose the short answer is that there is no immediate justification for breaking the Commandments. I used the term "immediate" because the Thou Shall Not Kill commandment I don't suspect applies to self defense or for defending the innocent. I would point out that a soldier on a far away battle field can still be acting in self defense if the opposing army would ultimately bring death to the soldier's homeland, community, family.

The not so short answer is that although a Christian should strive not to break any commandments... a common Christian belief (as I understand it) is that we are all born sinners and it takes a lot of work, a lot of resolve to not sin. So, by default, when we sin, we should immediately seek forgiveness and "sin no more."

Thou shall not commit adultery : ironically my wife been having an affair with a christian the past 5 years 3 years ago she ran off with the bastard

This statement confuses me. Would it have been acceptable if she was cheating on you with a non-Christian or non-religious person? Are you angry that she left or are you angry that she left you for a religious person? I have to assume that you're hurt because she left you at all.

From what I can tell, the overall question isn't How could a Christian do this? but more questioning how a person could harm another person? How could a wife/mother cause such harm to a husband/father?

The answer to that is simply that people are remarkable in their ability to make excuses for bad behavior. People that steal office supplies from work, in their own mind, tell themselves that "This company doesn't fully appreciate me, so what I'm taking is just making up for that." In the case of a cheating wife, they may tell themselves that, "My husband doesn't appreciate me so it's not MY fault if I seek attention elsewhere."

I don't know your situation so I can't pretend to give you any answers except to say....

1) Some people who identify as Christians live their lives far from what (I think) the message intends.

2) If you want to have a relationship with your daughter, forget about a cheating wife and her new man and focus more on finding a lawyer that will help you. I don't have specific experience with this but I know that there are plenty of organizations that provide pro bono lawyers to help estranged fathers obtain their full rights.

Side Note: Christianity, as a religion or philosophy, didn't cause your wife to do whatever it is she did. SHE did that. The "other man" didn't cause it either. I married my High School Sweetheart a bit more than 20 years ago and I assure you, plenty of guys tried to charm their way into her life. Although I'm grateful I never had to deal with it... If she had cheated on me the full force of my anger and disappointment would be pointed at her... NOT the "other guy." The "other guy" doesn't owe any allegiance to me... but my wife, by way of taking vows, does.

I have no idea what your situation is beyond your OP but I'm hoping for the best for you. If she is keeping you from seeing your daughter, I implore you to get a lawyer and fight for your rights.

Be well.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Why are you asking us to rationalize and apologize for what some other Christian did?

Because sometimes it's harder to look at the nitty-gritty details and easier to find an outside source to blame. That's my opinion, anyway.

edit on 25-6-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Why are you asking us to rationalize and apologize for what some other Christian did?

Because sometimes it's harder to look at the nitty-gritty details and find an outside source to blame. That's my opinion, anyway.

OP seemed pretty accusatory wondering how we all could justify such horrible acts, but I'm reading OP and saying "That's wrong, I don't."

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: eluryh22

Because sometimes it's harder to look at the nitty-gritty details and find an outside source to blame. That's my opinion, anyway.

OP seemed pretty accusatory wondering how we all could justify such horrible acts, but I'm reading OP and saying "That's wrong, I don't."

I hear you

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Just remember that what goes around comes around and your ex should know that if they will cheat with you they will cheat on you.

All organized religions cherry-pick through their own books and the various Christian denominations are the worst offenders on that count.

Your daughter will eventually want to know her father so just be ready and available when she is ready, let go of your anger and accept her for who she is and don't attack your ex in front of her she will have her own issues with her mother.

Been there done that. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

Cherry-picked what? What OP said the Christian did is against the 2nd commandment of Christ.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

It's unfortunate that the OP hasn't had a chance (or taken the opportunity) to reply to any of the posts in this thread.

I guess all of the problems that the OP faces in life is Christianity's fault.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
OP, you've fundamentally misunderstood the purpose of the law.

The ten commandments were given so that we might see and understand that we will never be good enough to meet God's standards. This is why Romans says "for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God".

See, that's the standard. Want to go to heaven on your own merit? Match the glory of God.

The purpose of the law was to point to Jesus Christ - for "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us", "the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God".

That's the crux. That's the point. That's the purpose of the law.
You're not good enough. I'm not good enough. We all fail. We all fall short. We all need a Saviour.

Enter Jesus.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: nullafides

They're "common sense" because God has written His laws on the heart of all mankind. Yes, it's "common sense" to every human, that's how God operates.

Well, my friend, you are wrong.

But hey, keep listening to that invisible dude in the sky that says he'll burn you in hell for not doing as he says...but, remember...

HE LOVES YOU

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

How am I wrong? The Bible declares God had written his laws on the hearts of mankind, and that's what everyone admits as well. That people don't need to read the 10 commandments in a book, that they're all "common sense".

I agree, basic morality is common knowledge to all of mankind in their heart.
edit on 26-6-2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join