It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reassessing where the UK is now.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hello people, and welcome to the world of dreams and fantasies.

I have to profess, the world, post BRexit has left me a trifle confused. I understand the basics, but the details have me flummoxed.

I grew up as a young adult under Thatcher's Britain, it was NOT a place of hope for most, although it was a place of plenty for a few.

I remember many industries being destroyed literally because they were not "competitive" according to the Tories of the 80's.

Shipyards were destroyed; Steelworks were destroyed; Coal industry was destroyed; Car industry was left to die.

All, as I remember it, were destroyed under the guise of competitiveness with Europe.

My question is this: Are any of our old industries valid as a way to move forward in a post EU world?
Could we revive any of those industries?

Should we go back and have a look at those industries for which we were reknowned, pre-EU?

The world has changed, should we look back at what we once had and re-assess?

I am asking from a complete position of ignorance here, please don't think there is an agenda, I truly want to know what we can salvage from the obvious ruins of our recent past.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I think it will kick many people up the arse and we will come out alright.
I think we should invest in what we do best and that is educate and innovate we have been world leaders in science and should push that.
We have to push forward into the future looking back on our national identity to help motivate us for better and greater things.
Heck sod it I bet a British only space agency would give us all a boost heck we could rebuild a new empire in space
Invest in the people is the best bet cos we are GREAT

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Also does pillaging other countries and making them civilized count as an industry? If so I regret to say no we can't do that no more...Bad British!
We are the villains of the world so we could play that up a bit

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
We are talking about Britain. Britain will always be Britain . She will always be Great. The EU is dying. The Elite are loosing. The house of cards is going to fall. I am so happy that I took the red pill. What a great show this will all be.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Just off the top of my head I would say eat home grown food. Welsh lamb, British beef and milk. Good old dirty veg and eggs from the farm shop.
Stop throwing away all those fish that end up dead but aren't up to standard.
And stop wasting things!
Carry on.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Well it seems we could do those things now, if we wanted to.

I am still curious about the viability of our old coal, steel and ship building industries. The infrastructure is still there in many cases, I wonder if they have even looked into them?

I suppose we will find out.

top topics

join