It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deuteronomy 21:21: Kill disobedient children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Having the Bible recommend killing disobedient children is entirely new to me. Can someone explain how Christians and Jews rationalize it?

How do people reconcile Deuteronomy 21:21 with the ten commandments?

Deuteronomy 21:18-21King James Version (KJV)

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

As for other the 'changes' in the Bible that I've noticed, the video below gives a good rundown of many of the most glaring ones (from my perspective).

www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It's Old Testament.

Doesn't count, for Christianity that is.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The talmud was very clear that this case never happened. The requirements for.this particular case require the son to eat and guzzle a massive amount of meat and wine in a miniscule amount of time. It was meant to come to teach several moral lessons

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
It's Old Testament.

Doesn't count, for Christianity that is.
Thats correct, but shouldnt we all just abort them early, killem all, and not even have to worry about them being mouthy later? Im Liberal and think abortion is a good form of birth control and it is safe and very effective. Kids these days have no respect, consideration, or self control. They cost a bunch of money to raise, and then they are an imposition. I agree 100% with you.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Jews kill their sons all the time all throughout history

They're notorious rebellious son killers

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well, I don't know about others, but my thoughts as a 'christian'.. First, one of the commandments is thou shalt not kill. Second, Deuteronomy is a part of the old testament. Christ came to show us how to truly follow Gods will. He said, at one point, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” The way I see it, those who followed the old testament had become misguided and misinterpreted the word of God. That command to kill a child in Deuteronomy, in my opinion, is a misinterpretation. We should not kill, and since none are without sin, we certainly shouldn't be punishing others in such a way. We should not be judging anyone. And Jesus came to show people the error in their ways and clear everything up and show them that how he lived was how we all should strive to live, for he is the fulfillment of the word of God.. If Jesus would not do it, it is wrong. I'm sure some would disagree with that interpretation, but that's what it means to me..
edit on 23-6-2016 by JustAnObservation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is after being lectured and chastened, many times at that. It was not a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm a Christian, but explaining this away as "it's Old Testament, doesn't count" sounds disingenuous.

In Israel, it was the law to destroy evil. It was the parents' responsibility alone to start this chain of events in that case.

Rightly so, we don't do that today, but today's environment produces so many obstacles and so much heartache that it is hard to judge anyone.

Society itself at its core is evil and getting worse.

Jesus came so that He could save those of us who needed it from an ever more evil world - He did not come to make this current world a better place.

An entire sermon could be written based upon the question of the OP.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Does killing disobedient children fall under "deeply held religious belief".....I mean, we can't go infringing on folks religion, right?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
All religions kill.....just which side your on is the trick. Is religion gonna kill you as an innocent bystander or is it gonna kill cause your soldier for said religion. Not to derail or piss any one off. But it states pretty clear to stone your kids to death........How one can circumvent what it say's by saying it means this or it means that. No, it means stone your mouthy child to death..a reply to: JDmOKI

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Jews kill their sons all the time all throughout history

They're notorious rebellious son killers

amateurs all and a drop in the bucket, compared to god who accounts for hundreds of millions that died through the creation of diseases, and natural disasters.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
How many of you would report your child to the law for murder, stealing, rape, etc.?

The glutton and the drunkard end up performing those things.

You need to consider not only the words, but the implications.

Disobedience means to break the law.

We're not talking about statutes and ordinances here. We're talking about the lifestyle of a rebellious individual who ends up harming others.

And if that individual who is so irresponsible doesn't directly commit the worse crimes, they will find someone who will to satisfy their bellies.

You need to consider the times and the full intent of the message.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Because it's idiotic and an early control mechanism. I'll make no friends saying it, but the 3 big Judeo Christian Muslim religions are truly bigoted, misogynist and downright evil.

I consider Christ's new law and the the golden rule as worthy of attention. I'm sure there's some to be found in the others mentioned as well, Sufism being the wisest example of Islam I have found.

Religion robs people of self discipline, self determination and personal power, something I believe we are intended to exercise.

Flame away

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Then why do Christians still refer to another religions work?

I'll answer...to pretend to fulfill the prophecies of an older religion to legitimize the control they exercise over others.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Not going to flame.

Plenty of people claiming to hold God dear and yet they don't.

But I also know people well enough to know that anyone who has truly performed their due diligence and still maintains that God is evil is someone who is so ashamed of their own crimes that they can't bring themselves to admit their subordination to a higher power.

So while you are right in what you say concerning people, you are also speaking of yourself.
edit on 6/23/2016 by TarzanBeta because: Do = who

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Try reading the other parts of Deuteronomy and Leviticus.

Death to sodomites, non-virigns, those who dont believe in the "God of Israel" etc.

Do you believe in the 10 Commandments?

edit on 23-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Then why do Christians still refer to another religions work?

I'll answer...to pretend to fulfill the prophecies of an older religion to legitimize the control they exercise over others.

And this post is proof you've never performed your due diligence.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

I'm a Muslim.

Edit: That's a yes btw.
edit on 23-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Noted.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: gladtobehere

I'm a Muslim.

Then you are a Muslim that keeps up with Christian pop culture atleast. Kudos to you for going that far, brother!

ETA: not a response to your ETA, but earlier point disconnecting OT from NT.
edit on 6/23/2016 by TarzanBeta because: ETA squared

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

I would disagree, sure I have done many wrongs in 49 years. But again I follow 2 laws, both made by your Christ. Love God with all your heart soul and mind, and your neighbor as yourself.

Then the golden rule...do unto others.

Does this make me evil? Or guilty?
edit on 23-6-2016 by BlueJacket because: Sp

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Have you performed your due diligence?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join