It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes an American, an American?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

What makes a Scottish person a Scottish person?

Well to that question,, I've never lived anywhere elce in my life except Scotland and cities around here plus the laws of this country,,,not really sure other than blood line.

Thing is i wasn't brought up to see anyone different than me ,ie, colour, gender, race etc, to me everyone is the same.

Why should it matter where you come from? guess that's a question for all.

Yeah, but you folks banished Connor MacLeod because he was "different". We took him in as Russell Nash and allowed him to live as a free man.
edit on 22-6-2016 by LifeMode because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29

a reply to: DarkvsLight29

What makes a Scottish person a Scottish person?

Well to that question,, I've never lived anywhere elce in my life except Scotland and cities around here plus the laws of this country,,,not really sure other than blood line.

Thing is i wasn't brought up to see anyone different than me ,ie, colour, gender, race etc, to me everyone is the same.

Why should it matter where you come from? guess that's a question for all.

Yeah, but you folks banished Connor MacLeod because he was "different". We took him in as Russell Nash and allowed him to live as a free man.

Not my family, Clan MacDougall we thought for independence/freedom etc, deep history of many battles lost and 1.

Lol though love where you went with that, good stuff haha.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Isn't this also called No True Scotsman?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

One, thanks. I never knew what that meant.

Two, it was an honest question.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
The day is coming ... and right soon.

Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

That depends on how seriously one has understood its history, I would have thought.

A study of its history will show that the things which have NOTHING to do with being American, are things like whether or not one was born there, matters of blood. It's a state of mind as far as I can tell, from seeing it from the outside. Certainly possession of a passport from that nation has nothing to do with it what so ever!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

To hate, judge and look down on everything that has different written on it,i mean that's what i noticed.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Someone who stands in front of women and children, not behind them.

Someone who will fight a war declared on them, and not call it holy but righteous.

Someone who does not make fun of or mock other religions.

Someone who believes that child slavery and pedophilia is abhorrent.

Someone who embraces the variety of backgrounds of other peaceful citizens who make up the population.

Someone who fights for the inalienable rights of all peaceful peoples, irrespective of one's personal opinions and choices, to pursue happiness in life.

Someone who will defend liberty from tyranny.

Well, that's in theory.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

One, thanks. I never knew what that meant.

Two, it was an honest question.

Well, its an honest answer.

The things that people will want to say makes us "American" is just lip service to an ideal. The truth: being an American is sticking your head in the sand (except the sand is actually junk food and junk media) and allowing yourself to become numb to what uncle sam is doing behind you.

To be an American you should ignore the house falling down around you while going on boasting about how hard you work to keep it all in line. And you certainly should complain about the speck of dust in everyone elses eye while you have that big log sticking out of yours.

We all give so much lip service to that ideal of what an American is. But do a terrible job of living up to it. We have allowed our dog to snap us to heel. And then pretend that we are still in charge.

Our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers were men of action. We....we aren't them. We could be, but instead kick back in the comfort of their laurels, using their words and phrases to give lip service to ideals that we have done nothing to support.

edit on 6/23/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Well!

Rarely have I been put in my place.

Can't really refute what you stated. Might just eat some ice cream and lick my wounds.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

They're in a big prison but don't realize it

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The question assumes we had it right. Things started to go south with JFK's assassination. The dream of what America was supposed to be and become died on that day. Next came Nixon and look at the fallout from that: loss of faith in the government, the "war" on drugs, the endless cycle of recession, the "choose the lesser of two evils" political system, the end of the 60's ideology. Now we are old and jaded. Look how people are reacting--we are rats in a cage going at each other with an unfettered gusto for violence. And the way shown to our rosy future was via the Zapruder film. We have social PTSD and are visiting the hate and violence on the ensuing generations.

What makes an American? Knowing your past and trying real hard to be the Shepard! Oh yeah, and hamburgers with bacon on it (can't forget that!). It is still better than living under a Caliphate.

"America... F# Yeah! Here we come to save the mother f#ing day"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join