It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes an American, an American?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Recent threads have shown the complete disregard for freedoms and liberties from many members of congress.

I even asked the question, area they still American?

Sure, if they legally reside within the borders of the United states, they are legally "American".

But if they don't like the Constitution, disregard the Bill of Rights, are they still, INSIDE, American?

What makes an American, an American?

Is it location?
Birthright?
A passport?
A social security card?
A voter iD card?

Or is it something more?

Is being an American someone who respects individual liberties, rights, and honors freedoms?

Just a thought. This is Chit-Chat, so chit-chat.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
What America was founded as is dead.

It was a great run while it lasted.

RIP

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Someone born on either the North American or South American continents are all Americans......technically.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I believe it's a belief in the things stated in the declaration of Independence. Simply being born here dosent cut it with me, but I suppose legally that will just about get it done. But I don't believe those looking to use the Constitution for TP are American whatsoever.
edit on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:55:58 -05000000005830162220167 by rustydog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Need answers? Look no further than to Hulk Hogan!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I count myself as an Earthling.
America is just a nice piece of land.
Borders are where conflicting tribes got tired of fighting.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rustydog

I believe it's a belief in the things stated in the declaration of Independence. Simply being born here dosent cut it with me, but I suppose legally that will just about get it done. But I don't believe those looking to use the Constitution for TP are American whatsoever.

ideally, you are right.

Legally, not so much.

But I do agree with you.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
What America was founded as is dead.

It was a great run while it lasted.

RIP

Everything has a shelf life, everything has a life span.

Perhaps we're seeing the end.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Other than the legality part, it means freedom to do or say whatever you want in this life just so long as you do not cause physical or financial harm to another person. If one is a racist then that is their legal right as an American. I respect that right just as much as I respect the right of someone voicing their opinion on why racism is bad. Respecting the right of the flag waiver and the flag burner equally. It really comes down to respecting the freedom of others whether you like it or not. It's really not any harder than that.
edit on 22-6-2016 by LifeMode because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

That's a beautiful sentiment.

I wish people still thought like that.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I agree with skunkape23, we are all human and America is just another piece of Earth.

Ok i get your point OP, I'm born/bread in the highlands of Scotland (Elgin), so makes me 100% Scottish/also by family blood line, but so do many form other cultural backgrounds the world over,,so the question should be.

How American do you feel? or how do you feel as person living where you are right now?
edit on 22-6-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
100000000% agree with LifeMode :-)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

What makes a Scottish person a Scottish person?

What defines an American? Is it love of liberty and freedom?

I imagine you have liberty and freedom in Scotland.

We have a Constitution, those folks south of you have the Magna Carta.

It seems, in my long life, that I have been constantly fighting for freedoms and liberties. And it seems now that I'm fighting my on representatives more than anyone else.

Does fighting the government make me American?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Having the ability to do that and not be concerned with the government whisking you away in the dead of night, never to be heard again is a part of that "American" idealism.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I could probably write a book about it if I were to really try to explain every facet of your question. However, for the purposes of a post on a website, I would say it basically boils down to....

An American is someone whom pledges allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America and to the republic, for which it stands.

If someone's allegiances aren't to the United States and they pledge said allegiances to another nation, they are by default working against this country and are (for lack of a better word) a traitor.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Maybe we need a new term to identify those that adhere to liberties and freedoms.

Because there are people all over the world who want that.

there are also plenty of "Americans" who don't.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

That eliminates so many so-called "Americans" right from the start.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It does indeed.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

It's never dead as long as there are still people who believe in it ready and willing to die for it. In a tight spot for sure, but not dead. I feel very much free as a proud American right now. But your right in that there are those who wish nothing more than to destroy all the values and beliefs this country was founded on, and they seem to be doing a good job.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

What makes a Scottish person a Scottish person?

Well to that question,, I've never lived anywhere elce in my life except Scotland and cities around here plus the laws of this country,,,not really sure other than blood line.

Thing is i wasn't brought up to see anyone different than me ,ie, colour, gender, race etc, to me everyone is the same.

Why should it matter where you come from? guess that's a question for all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join