It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What style do you prefer when it comes to ATS news threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
There are only two styles for presenting ATS news threads that I have seen.

1. Present a synopsis (and/or opinion) about the story first and post a quote from the story second:

White House: Obama ‘Profoundly Frustrated’ — Ready For More Executive Action On Gun Control

2. Post a quote from the story first and present a synopsis (and/or opinion) about the story second:

Donald Trump: Illegals treated better than US veterans

My preference is the second style; that's why I almost always use it.
edit on 21-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
There are only two styles for presenting ATS news threads that I have seen.

1. Present a synopsis (and/or opinion) about the story first and post a quote from the story second:

White House: Obama ‘Profoundly Frustrated’ — Ready For More Executive Action On Gun Control

2. Post a quote from the story first and present a synopsis (and/or opinion) about the story second:

Donald Trump: Illegals treated better than US veterans

My preference is the second style; that's why I almost always use it.

Somebody tell where the bloody post button is for that posting box in the news section!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

It won't appear until you've posted enough original content of your own and, no, we aren't telling how many words it takes to trigger it. ;-)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I'm also fairly new at posting myself, so that could be why....

But, what exactly are you referring to

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is a pointless thread.

Be as informative as possible and make it clear to the reader what your intentions are. Wrap it in a pretty bow and deliver it with care.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer

It won't appear until you've posted enough original content of your own and, no, we aren't telling how many words it takes to trigger it. ;-)

Well, you should know me by now, I tend to be long winded...and I did follow all the distructions!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Be as informative as possible and make it clear to the reader what your intentions are. Wrap it in a pretty bow and deliver it with care.

What does "informative" mean in this context? I'm of the opinion that there's no need to present a synopsis unless a news story is very complex.

However, xuenchen (who is the all-time leader in flags at ATS) has mastered the art of always presenting a synopsis before presenting a quote from the story no matter how simple the story is. I don't consider it to be very informative to present a synopsis of a simple story; that's why I never do it. However, since xuenchen is the king in this area, I would like to know if people prefer his style.

We do have objective measures to go by when it comes to what works at ATS (i.e. flags, stars, replies). From my own experience I'll tell you that generally speaking being "informative" is not what makes a successful thread. Being provocative is generally much more important than being "informative."
edit on 21-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think you're mistaking "synopsis" with jargon.

xuenchen has mastered nothing, at least in my opinion. He's "pop" and his sources speak for themselves. I actually do enjoy his presence here and the content he provides ATS, but not over any other member who can deliver the goods in a way that satisfies me. To each their own in that regard.

I don't consider it to be very informative to present a synopsis of a simple story; that's why I never do it.

Then why post anything at all when I can read it verbatim from the source? I come here specifically to gauge the OP's response to what they are presenting. The more I admire or find a member intelligent, the more I hope they create a thread because it entertains and informs me on a personal level. Posting a link to a story with a few sentences or a small paragraph, to me, is unacceptable. In that case, my expectations upon opening a thread has been reduced to "thanks for sharing."

However, since xuenchen is the king in this area, I would like to know if people prefer his style.

xuenchen is your perceived king, not mine.

We do have objective measures to go by when it comes to what works at ATS (i.e. flags, stars, replies).

In my opinion, stars are useless and provocativeness has no place in proper education and message delivery, unless one's intention is to forcefully stir a debate or strike a nerve.

If you're really interested in how I feel, knock yourself out...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

xuenchen, I do respect you. Just not in this context.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I like a quote first because it hooks the reader then we get to read more about it if we want to. Actually it could go either way because we can get their opinion on it first then get the link.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I normally use the article title as the title. Then post some summary and/or opinion then quotes and alternate that way. After posting the link.
edit on 21-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

originally posted by: eisegesis

What does "informative" mean in this context? I'm of the opinion that there's no need to present a synopsis unless a news story is very complex.

However, xuenchen (who is the all-time leader in flags at ATS) has mastered the art of always presenting a synopsis before presenting a quote from the story no matter how simple the story is. I don't consider it to be very informative to present a synopsis of a simple story; that's why I never do it. However, since xuenchen is the king in this area, I would like to know if people prefer his style.

We do have objective measures to go by when it comes to what works at ATS (i.e. flags, stars, replies). From my own experience I'll tell you that generally speaking being "informative" is not what makes a successful thread. Being provocative is generally much more important than being "informative."

Xuenchen has mastered the art of clutter of nothing without breaking T&C.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer

Conspiracy I say!!!!

top topics

join