It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Gov't Will Legalize Marijuana on August 1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration will reclassify marijuana as a "Schedule Two" drug on August 1, 2016, essentially legalizing medicinal cannabis in all 50 states with a doctor's prescription, said a DEA lawyer with knowledge of the matter.

The DEA Lawyer had told the lawyer representing a DEA informant of the DEA's plan to legalize medicinal cannibis nationwide on August 1, 2016. When questioned by our reporter, the DEA lawyer felt compelled to admit the truth to him as well.

"Whatever the law may be in California, Arizona or Utah or any other State, because of Federal preemption this will have the effect of making THC products legal with a prescription, in all 50 states," the DEA attorney told the Observer. Federal Preemption is a legal doctrine that where the US Government regulates a particular field, State and local laws are overridden and of no effect.
LINK

It's nice to see good news for a change. It gives me a little hope when I see a move toward sanity as well.

What is the logic of telling people what they can do with a plant? Is America a "Christian nation"? What about Genesis 1:29?

Genesis 1:29 ESV

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

edit on 19-6-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Woo hoo!
Yes!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

"Whatever the law may be in California, Arizona or Utah or any other State, because of Federal preemption this will have the effect of making THC products legal with a prescription, in all 50 states," the DEA attorney told the Observer. Federal Preemption is a legal doctrine that where the US Government regulates a particular field, State and local laws are overridden and of no effect.

It's about time this happens. So many people are suffering, who could benefit, in states where medical is not allowed.

Though I'm sure some states will try and fight it one way or another or at least have a fit- ex. Idaho. Circuit courts may have to intervene as they did with Gay Marriage.

(as mentioned now that I have more time
See other replies, misleading title. Also see: the link from the www.thedailychronic.net...
edit on 19-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: added update

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
First I saw “U.S. Gov't Will Legalize Marijuana”.

Then I saw “as a Schedule Two”.

Then I went back to waiting 5 minutes for the next topic to load.

Really though, this is great news for people who will benefit from it. It’s just that the title is a bit misleading.

edit on 1SundaySundayAmerica/Chicago7pmSunday7pm06 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would have hoped for a Schedule III at the least. They have really cracked down on narcotics especially schedule II. So it will be like you have to go every month to physically pick up your prescription to take to the "pharmacy".

I wonder how this effects the VA system. Once they find pot in your system you are effectively cut off by your primary. I wonder what changes will happen.

Anyway... I guess any step towards full legalization is a good one.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thanks Obama!

All jokes aside this is great news, it's about damn time. Maybe now we'll save some tax dollars on victimless crimes and get some profit from the sales of cannabis! We see how well it worked out for Colorado. Now we just need to make recreational use legal.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It's great news, but something smells of this story.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Can we confirm this? I searched around and there doesn't seem to be any official source, just the same article using this anonymous lawyer. Would be great news, but I don't think it's true.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

This plant is an enigma. Besides it's known physical properties, it has the ability to transcend social constructs and biases when it comes to interactions between cultures.

I am fortunate enough to have traveled to many places around the world and when I meet people from various walks of life, I quickly come to realize that everyone I meet that wishes to discuss this topic all share the same attitudes and beliefs about this plant.

and that is the enigma - an amazing plant with countless uses and benefits to humans is illegal because governments don't want their citizens using it (but alcohol and tobacco is cool). What does that tell you?

It should be legalized beyond all medical categories, it does not belong to governments, it belongs to everyone.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Dude!

You're harshing my buzz!

(I always wanted to say that)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: cleverhans
Can we confirm this? I searched around and there doesn't seem to be any official source, just the same article using this anonymous lawyer. Would be great news, but I don't think it's true.

Now that i have more time, found this;
According to this source,

However, the only source of this information is an anonymous lawyer with knowledge of the matter:

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration will reclassify marijuana as a “Schedule Two” drug on August 1, 2016, essentially legalizing medicinal cannabis in all 50 states with a doctor’s prescription, said a DEA lawyer with knowledge of the matter.

Shouldn’t we be excited? Not quite, as this “news” is unlikely to be true. The entire article — which has since been cited as fact by several pro-cannabis blogs — is speculation and rumor from a source that is identified only as “The DEA Lawyer.”

According to the second paragraph of the article, “The DEA Lawyer had told the lawyer representing a DEA informant of the DEA’s plan to legalize medicinal cannibis [sic] nationwide on August 1, 2016.” This, the second paragraph of the article, should be as far as anyone needs to read to realize that this article is hastily written, poorly researched, and simply speculation or a rumor, including the misspelling of “cannabis” and a poorly worded sentence structure.

More here

While re scheduling is a big step looks like it's farther from any legalization medically, not even to mention it is NOT legalization recreational wise at all. Yes, misleading title.

edit on 19-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The actual truth is the DEA is expected to make a decision on rescheduling the plant on July 1st. (not Aug 1st as stated )

Rumor has it maybe even to schedule III.

So we'll know pretty soon.

I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Also, already posted.

Short term memory?

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onesmartdog
It's great news, but something smells of this story.

Don't worry, bro...I get it.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Also, already posted.
Short term memory?

I enjoyed reading the topic twice.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Too late, the boy's in East Texas have made a stand....already.....in their words....we just go ahead and take the chance and do two acres at a time....with the tractor.....and it always works......there's so much land no body can walk it all.....see it all.....too hidden down in nowhere....

told to me by a state water inspector, who's son.....better go now....
edit on 19-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 19-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

edit on 19-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This is likely false. I hope so. This would be terrible. Are you allowed to grow coca, poppy, and manufacture oxycontin? No. You need a heavily regilated perscription. This would essentially make yet another law deeming recreational use or growing of marijuana highly illegal in almost all states. Granted, one could always go medical now anywhere - try, but would you like to get cleared for a right to drink? Lol

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is refreshing to say the lease.

Now when the government comes for our guns, we will all be to happy, high, feeling so good, that we will happy hand them over.

Happy days are here to stay! Now our groceries bills are going to go through the roof.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
2 thoughts on this, neither of them good:

- The reclassification makes possession of pot a more serious crime. Instead of a misdemeanor posession of marijuana charge, you could get possession of a controlled substance charge now, making your minor legal issue a major felony.
- Reclassifying it as a medicinal plant is specious at best. You can't go for 70 years saying it has no medicinal value, and stifling research, to classifying it as having medicinal value and being on par with hydrocodone and heroin.

This is BS. Baby steps my ass.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Posted already here

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join