It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake eats man ~Real or fake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

????

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't know, but it's probably true. I heard they can get as thick as a telephone pole, which is a solid foot at least. Plus, they can eat animals twice their thickness because they can dislocate their jawbone.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
There are a few stories of large snakes killing humans.

But not many of them swallowing humans.

The main reason, according to snake experts, is that snakes begin swallowing their prey at the head and with humans, the snake is confronted with a major obstacle when it gets to the shoulders.

Snakes can ingest remarkably large creatures, but need a more gradual contour to do it.

So the so called whole man eating snakes remind a myth.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I wanna say those pictures were proven fake on some website I ran across....

Who knows though - It's certainly possible...

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is most likely fake, but there was a proven story of a snake consuming a young child. Which is possible seeing how they are much smaller and prolly easier to swallow.

:shudders:

And my husbands wants to know why he acn't have a pet snake .... Snakes aren't pets, and I liek my cats ... I don't want to come home and find that the snake got out and won't need to eat for a good couple of months. LOL ....

*Z*

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hard to tel actually it does look fake but who knows could be real.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

The main reason, according to snake experts, is that snakes begin swallowing their prey at the head and with humans, the snake is confronted with a major obstacle when it gets to the shoulders.

Snakes can ingest remarkably large creatures, but need a more gradual contour to do it.

marge

On the contrary marge, I think that explanation itself is myth, I have watched a very large retic eat a deer of some kind with huge straight horns, nothing contoured about that.
Shoulders would be no problem at all, they can eat crocodiles too. Consider if you will, they manage to swallow something the girth of a wild pig, this means there gape is sufficiently wide. A snakes lower jow is two parts which open sideways, the snake first dislocates the jaw at the hinges then gapes as wide as possible before mouthing the prey.
Then it uses sidewise motions to walk its jaws over the prey one side forward then the other, then the other, like so. its teeth curve rearward to grip. its mouth expands to accomodate the prey. Now imagine if one can walk its jaws over 50cm straight horns with no problems at all, how then would human shoulders, nice and smooth and flexible arms bending backward pose an obstacle?
Also they dont "always" eat prey head first, its the best and quickest way, but a hungry snake will sometimes eat either end even if it takes longer.

I wanna say those pictures were proven fake on some website I ran across....

I fail to see how exactly you can debunk it, might make for intresting reading, it was probly snopes.com, they debunk everything.

And my husbands wants to know why he acn't have a pet snake .... Snakes aren't pets, and I liek my cats ... I don't want to come home and find that the snake got out and won't need to eat for a good couple of months. LOL ....

zerinity

LMAO, atleast you have a sense of humor, even if you wear the pants

Snakes are great pets but big ones like that require care and more than one person to handle, common sense or rather lack of it account for most constriction deaths by big pythons.
C'mon, let him have a small one then

I might just point out a freind of mine whos a curater at one of our famous zoo's, said he remembers the same pic on a calender 20 odd years ago, so its not new in any case, be interesting to see if there was any paper news about it (no internet 20 years ago)

[edit on 013131p://01011 by instar]

[edit on 013131p://12011 by instar]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
*bump* any others pov/s please, could this be set up with a dead snake?
Does anything about it say "fake" or "setup" ? I wonder if the clothing would have caused a major intestinal blockage? Any herp experts here?

[edit on 113131p://040111 by instar]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I believe those pictures to be true, they are atleast 10 years old.

I have seen them many times.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think they're real, too. I've seen these photos many times and never read a decent debunking. The discoloration and bruising on the "corpse", if that's what it is, are very realistic; better than hollywood make-up jobs. The second photo looks particularly real. No mistaking that's a real snake and a real person.

Okay, autopsy time.

Regarding the shoulder-width factor, in addition to Instar's witness to the snake swallowing a deer, a snake of the size shown in the pic would have enourmous crushing power; conceivably enough to crack/dislocate the shoulders, collar bones and ribs to reduce their width. The blood stains on the hips and buttocks seem consistent with cracking of the pelvis and subsequent bleeding from cracked bones puncturing through skin.

Two possible arguments for a fake (1st and 3rd pics):

1) The apparent lack of blood from the cut open snake. However, I'm not sure how much snakes actually bleed when cut. Also, if the snake died earlier from ingesting the person or was killed long before it was cut, then bleeding would be negligible.

2) The apparent lack of degradation of the body. The body seems to be a fair way down the length of the snake (the snake's head is not visible in the frame) and one would imagine that the body would be more...*gulp*...digested. Again, this could be explained by the death of the snake after ingestion.

Well, I'm personally convinced that these are real from casual observation, but I might pop over and ask the good Dr. Lecter for his opinion.

top topics

join