It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lone hacker claims to have broken into US Democrat servers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Guccifer 2 posts files as 'proof' – says rest sent to Wikileaks

Well isnt this interesting......

i guess the coming weeks we will see more information released (if true). seems to be a bad time to be a politician, wonder when all this political madness will end!

Also not surte if 'Guccifer 2' is a copycat or the main person - Guccifer [mysterious computer hacker] emails link Tony Blair to top-secret Bohemian Grove gathering

A lone hacker claims to have been the person who broke into the Democratic National Committee (DNC) servers, and has posted several files online as "proof."

The hacker, going by the name Guccifer 2, created a new Wordpress blog Wednesday and posted several confidential files as well as a taunting rebuke to the security company, CrowdStrike, that the DNC called in to investigate the breach.

He also claims to have sent "thousands of files and mails" to Wikileaks which he says will "publish them soon."

CrowdStrike had previously said the hack was carried out by two professional hacking teams with close ties to the Russian government.

In the post, Guccifer 2 mocks that suggestion: "CrowdStrike announced that the Democratic National Committee (DNC) servers had been hacked by 'sophisticated' hacker groups. I'm very pleased the company appreciated my skills so highly))) But in fact, it was easy, very easy."

He also questions the company's assertion that no financial, donor or personal information had been accessed or stolen, and in response posts several Excel files that list donors and potential donors alongside their names, locations and donated amounts. Along with those comes a 237-page attack document on Donald Trump labeled confidential.

Real?
The documents appear genuine in the sense that they do contain legitimate donor information, although much of the data within the files is several years old. Did they come from the DNC servers? It's unclear.

As for the Trump attack doc, that does appear genuine – its sheer length and detail making it unlikely to be a fake, if nothing else – and its claimed author in the file's metadata is Democratic strategist Warren Flood.

That doesn't mean, however, that Guccifer 2 accessed the DNC's servers (the documents could have been stored elsewhere) and it doesn't mean that Guccifer 2 is a lone hacker either – it could be one of two Russian hacking organizations posing as an individual.

CrowdStrike, for its part, is standing by its analysis that it was Russian government hackers. It posted an update to its original analysis stating: "On June 15, 2016 a blog post to a WordPress site authored by an individual using the moniker Guccifer 2.0 claiming credit for breaching the Democratic National Committee. This blog post presents documents alleged to have originated from the DNC.

"Whether or not this posting is part of a Russian Intelligence disinformation campaign, we are exploring the documents' authenticity and origin. Regardless, these claims do nothing to lessen our findings relating to the Russian government's involvement, portions of which we have documented for the public and the greater security community."

So the broader questions are: were the DNC servers hacked by multiple people – professional Russian hackers as well as some lone hacker? And was more information grabbed than the DNC previously recognized?

The first question will be difficult to answer unless Guccifer 2 is real and foolish enough to try to prove the lone-hacker status. The second will be answered in the next week if Wikileaks does in fact post more documents. We shall wait and see.

Source
edit on 17/6/16 by Phatdamage because: I'm BATMAN

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
And of course the White House is blaming their favorite scapegoat, the Republicans.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
And of course the White House is blaming their favorite scapegoat, the Republicans.

Interesting.
The White House feels that the Republican Party is responsible for providing cybersecurity for another political party.
They are special people there at the White House.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Interesting.
The White House feels that the Republican Party is responsible for providing cybersecurity for another political party.

Do you get the feeling this is a blame going round and round,

the truth will become shrouded in bullsh**

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Interesting that the DNC says that the hack DIDN'T get into donor lists/info.
Yet...

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Yet...

I guess time will tel exactly what they got (if any)

you have to admire the timing though, worst possible time for Hilary

Another Nail in the Coffin

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

originally posted by: butcherguy

Interesting.

Do you get the feeling this is a blame going round and round,

the truth will become shrouded in bullsh**

Do you get the feeling that this is all a hoax? Well it could be true, but these successful intrusion attempts are becoming all to common and I'm thinking that it will have the desired outcome to whoever 'allowed it to happen'.

Seriously people, hacking ain't easy.
edit on 17-6-2016 by GreenGunther because: spelling and stuff

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Wait a minute....I thought it was the Russians?

Mind you, these days it seems to be the "thing" to say it was the Russians.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Yet...

I guess time will tel exactly what they got (if any)

you have to admire the timing though, worst possible time for Hilary

Another Nail in the Coffin

oh my GOD , makes you wonder how big is this coffin , how many nails does it take to shut it and put this huge coffin underground for good

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

a reply to: GreenGunther

Seriously people, hacking ain't easy.

Really? FYI there are disks loaded with tools to hack, never heard of script kiddies?

I once read, "if computer is connected to the internet and accepts packets it can be owned."

edit on 17-6-2016 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I got my CEH. I know how to hack. Script kiddies are for losers and will not get you into government servers. If you knew how difficult it is to gain access, not to mention maintain access, clearing your tracks and leaving a back-door you would understand.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

You are part of a generation who are paranoid about this threat because you do not understand. It's damn difficult to find an individual machine through an ISP without setting off any bells or whistles. Hacking is difficult, hacking a home-user is difficult. Most hacks are caused by incompetent users, not intelligent hackers.

new topics

top topics

join