It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Comedian Jim Jefferies on Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Videos from 2015, but still seem quite relevant to me.

Not absolutely perfect, but I recently found these and thought he made some decent points in an entertaining fashion. I agree with him for the most part about the only real argument for guns is "I like guns". It's not 100% accurate, they can be used for protection on the streets I suppose, but in a home defense situation, unless it's sitting there loaded beside your bed... Or it has its ammunition extremely close by.

I'll mention that I'm personally against gun control for America at this point, mostly because I think America is past the event horizon. That, and because an attempt at a useful level of gun control would probably be met with mild civil war, and the planet can't afford that right now.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I agree with him for the most part about the only real argument for guns is "I like guns".

Thats like saying the only real argument for owning a hammer is because, I like them.

Don't get me wrong some people like their hammers. But liking anything is a shallow argument for owning it.

That, and because an attempt at a useful level of gun control would probably be met with mild civil war, and the planet can't afford that right now.

Thats why they don't do round ups or sweeps for arms in the hands of the public. They pass laws restricting this and that arm or feature, like barrel length and magazine capacity. Each law passed requires the citizen to turn in their 'feature' or become criminalized.

Gun control is a war of attrition, it will never become a civil war.

(post by BrianFlanders removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Bit extreme comparing it to a hammer no? Hammers are a Neccesary tool in construction ( yes a heavy rock would do also). Guns have little purpose other than causing death or injury which lead to death. There are other effective forms of deterant out there.

I prefer the JJ on religion. Like most sets it's funny cos it's true. " believe in what you want, just know that your wrong"....(3 pints later)...." RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE SO #ING STUPID...."...lol

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
What percent of Australians have you interacted with over the years....0.000001% or 0.0000001%?

Answer might help us better understand why you feel that way about an entire country?

Do you now know my view or every American after reading your post....you guessed it

Nice edit. You really are a tool aren't you.
edit on 16-6-2016 by GemmyMcGemJew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Oh I despise Australians. First A-hole I ever met on the internet was an Australian back in 1999. I was shocked because I'd met a lot of American A-holes right here in my local neighborhoods. But you never saw anything on TV or in the movies about how obnoxious Australians actually are. In the movies they're always friendly and likable, even if their accent does make them sound like a 6 year old with brain damage.

But yeah. I've met no shortage of completely obnoxious imbeciles from Australia on the internet. And I'm sorry but Brits too. I never met so many stupid people anywhere in the US at one time. If you find a forum that has a lot of Brits and a lot of Aussies, just do yourself a favor and ignore them completely.

Someone from another country doesnt see things the way you do... So you call them brain damaged, obnoxious and imbeciles.....? And for good measure throw Brits in there... cause why not?

That's called xenophobia, friend.
edit on 16-6-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Well I despise people who judge a person from where they are from.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I am an Aussie, thank you very much. I couldn't avoid them if I wanted to.

I suppose it's natural that you'd detest us and the Brits because our views on a lot of things are fairly different. When you say they're assholes, do you mean they're assholes because they disagree with you on some fairly explosive issues (LGBT, Guns, Climate Change, etc.) or because they really just act like assholes? Give us some examples. :x

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This video has been posted on ATS so many times.

There are many uses for a gun other than killing another person.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Also... I've hung out with Jim Jefferies for a couple nights(long story as they always are). Great guy. Good head on his shoulders. They all arent their stand up act. This guy is. What you see is what you get.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

***SNIP***

Wow. Just wow.

I'm glad you hate Australians, it means we'll never have to see you're ugly, hateful ass on our soil ever.

Do you actually have anything INTELLIGENT to add to the topic of this thread, or do you think you can just throw out insults at people who you disagree with and hope we are just going to "go away"?
edit on 6/16/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Removed quote of a removed post.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thats why they don't do round ups or sweeps for arms in the hands of the public. They pass laws restricting this and that arm or feature, like barrel length and magazine capacity. Each law passed requires the citizen to turn in their 'feature' or become criminalized.

Gun control is a war of attrition, it will never become a civil war.

Right, and that's why nothing useful in terms of making a meaningful impact on gun crimes and mass shootings will ever be passed. You need to go full ham like Australia did, which the US pretty much will not do. Politicians like to use gun control as a distraction from important economical (TPP) and corruption (Hillary Clinton) issues anyway, so they wouldn't want to dismantle the nice flag they have set up for the bulls.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

I agree with you.
The point he makes is the usefulness a gun has in a locked safe because whebln you would need it for protection it would be an emergency. My personal belief is that guns have a negative consequences as a whole and the less there is the less people would be killed.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This is back from the 1940's. Did you see the German Jewish comic....oh wait they government banned guns and threw him in a concentration camp with millions more

How about the old Soviet comic from the 1930's, oh wait the government killed him along with millions of others in the 'Great Putge'

How about the Cambodian comic from the 1970's, oh wait, he's buried in a field with millions of his gun free zone countryman.

Every government falls, that's inavitable, the only question is, does it fall peacefully or bloody. Maybe one day Austrailia will want to throw the queen out(a couple hundred years after America) and it's not taken to well by others. Maybe another form of government will or wants to take hold. Not saying tomorrow but it will happen. The side with guns has a HUGE advantage over the side without. then the side with guns can play this YouTube video to their prisoners, the side without guns. They all can laugh before they die.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Thats like saying the only real argument for owning a hammer is because, I like them.

Here we go again, making ridiculous comparisons.

Hammers were not specifically designed to kill anything. It is not their intended purpose. Guns ARE designed to kill things, as it is their intended specific purpose.

I feel like a kindergarten teacher having to explain such simple concepts so regularly.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Really? So many times? I've literally never seen it before, do you have links to where it was shown? I'd like to see the context around it and what people said at the time.

Yes, like killing another animals. Like it or not (and many people evidently don't like it), all uses for guns involve destruction or the threat of destruction because they just can't do anything else, outside of wall ornaments I suppose. It's why comparisons to cars or other assorted objects like knives are ridiculous, more accurately close things would be explosives, spears, or claymores.
edit on 16/6/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

***SNIP***

You are an idiot.

People - please don't feed the troll.
edit on 6/16/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Removed quote of a removed post.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties
It's Han nature to use extreme examples to justify the point, just think he/she used the wrong comparison for the wrong reasons.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

I don't drink. A gun is just a tool, too. Or for collecting, protection, hunting, policing, trading, investment, plinking…

Anyone who can't appreciate them for anything but killing is just regurgitating the media memes.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
What percent of Australians have you interacted with over the years....0.000001% or 0.0000001%?

Well, I have a bad habit of finding at least a couple of them everywhere I go and as I'm sitting here thinking about it right now, I have probably interacted with 200 Australians in the past 3-5 years and in all that time I've only met one that I actually liked.

But I'm not specifically picking on Australians too much because I don't like Canadians either. There's this myth about how "nice" Canadians are. I believed it for many years myself because I've never actually been to Canada. But the internet killed that myth real quick. I don't know how many Canadians I've met over the years online. It would probably have to be in the thousands. In all that time I can't think of many at all I actually got along with. And it's not that I didn't try. I used to be a nice guy. Really I did. I was kind of ignorant but I tried to be friendly.

I can't say I'm ignorant even if you think so. This is experience talking. The rest of the world has a lot of nasty things to say about Americans but they haven't exactly shown themselves to be any better in the way they've behaved online.

Actually I will go back on what I said earlier. I've met more friendly Brits than I have friendly people from most other places. But I've met a ton of them who were aggressive and obnoxious from the instant they started talking.

We've got our problems here but at least we're aware of them. The media never shuts up about it so it's not like we don't get scolded for it by the talking heads every day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join