It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on the right wing Christian community's reaction to the Orlando massacre

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

You mentioned you knew a couple of the victims. Just wanted to extend my condolences.
desert

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
If you haven't already figured out through reading my posts, I am gay. I was also raised in a very Catholic family. So there are times when I feel torn between the faith I was born and raised in and who I am. I get that faith means wanting to please God. I also know that pleasing God entails being compassionate to fellow man. But at the end of the day, we are all just people.

Have you Christians forgotten the story of the good Samaritan? This is a story that as children was told to us over and over about how Jesus taught us to be kind to one another. The hatred I see for the victims of the Orlando tragedy coming from people of faith dismays me greatly. We all walk the path in life that was chosen for us. We do our best, faults and all. As straight Christians none of you are without sin. So why are you casting stones at us in this time of great loss and grief?

Luke 10:25-37New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Samaritans and Jews hated one another, yet it was an enemy who helped the Jew out while his fellow Jews left him there to die. It is acts of compassion and humanity that define people as Christian. This teaching says it right here.

Well, as a Christian, I won't tell you that being gay is OK, I won't judge you either. That's between you and Jesus. What I can tell you, is that you can do absolutely nothing on your own to please God. You can accept that you are a sinner (not for being gay, for being a human), accept that Jesus died for YOUR sins, regardless what, and saved you. Just accept that and start building a relasionship with him and take it from there. Don't take too much stock in what other people have to say.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It's sad to see another (gay) community be targeted the way Christians have been for 2,000 years. Now you know our pain... Maybe it's time to join up. Fight the Muslim fight together?

Be strong.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I can understand why you feel the way you feel, however, as with most discussions that happen on these forums, blaming Christians are incorrect (I realize you said Right wing, so that is pretty close to true) I think.

Most Christians are actually rather nice people, caring and understanding and will help those in their community who find themselves in need, even if they are of different faith. There are always nut jobs in every group, so yes, some may be saying hurtful things, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I am sure there are homosexual people who calls Christians all manner of bad names, does that make all homosexuals anti Christian?

Anyways, try to stay positive, associate with positive people and don't pay to much attention to the haters, that only gives them more ammo.
edit on 14/08/2013 by Dmvr34 because: Crap spelling, sure there is more there somewhere

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join