It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on the right wing Christian community's reaction to the Orlando massacre

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If you haven't already figured out through reading my posts, I am gay. I was also raised in a very Catholic family. So there are times when I feel torn between the faith I was born and raised in and who I am. I get that faith means wanting to please God. I also know that pleasing God entails being compassionate to fellow man. But at the end of the day, we are all just people.

Have you Christians forgotten the story of the good Samaritan? This is a story that as children was told to us over and over about how Jesus taught us to be kind to one another. The hatred I see for the victims of the Orlando tragedy coming from people of faith dismays me greatly. We all walk the path in life that was chosen for us. We do our best, faults and all. As straight Christians none of you are without sin. So why are you casting stones at us in this time of great loss and grief?

Luke 10:25-37New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Samaritans and Jews hated one another, yet it was an enemy who helped the Jew out while his fellow Jews left him there to die. It is acts of compassion and humanity that define people as Christian. This teaching says it right here.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

You know it was a gay, Democrat Muslim who pledged loyalty to ISIS and carried out this mass murder right?
edit on 15-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

It wouldn't matter if it was Santa Claus who did it. The loss of life is real. There are Christians saying that people should not grieve over the loss of 50 sodomites. Even though some of the dead were straight.

Dead people can't be brought back. Lives have been ruined. And to add to the pain we are being told that their lives did not matter anyway.

edit on 15-6-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
As long as they're not Muslim, its freedom of speech
Its ugly ugly all across the board.

You're doing exactly what those right wing Christians are doing.
Picking and choosing verses from the bible which fits a narrative; in your case acceptance.

Most religious heads wont realize this, because its what 'scriptures' are by design. Moral fables which fit a narrative.

Religion is like an opiate....not suitable the masses
edit on 15-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

People? I thought it was one jackass from Cali saying it?

I know you are dealing with trauma but being mad at the wrong people will not help you grieve.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yah, kind of a churchian conundrum, isn't it? They been crying about gays going against the word of Gad and risking Hell fire and all, but can't really get behind an out and out massacre, can they? Not and remain loving, forgiving and human and all…

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Religion is the problem. It is ironic you claim to be religious but do not see the irony in your own OP.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm sure it was only atheists who lined up to donate blood.

I'm sure that was the only atheist Chick-fil-A in the country who opened on Sunday (something the company NEVER does) to feed the first responders and blood donors waiting.

I'm sure no one who claims the faith cares at all that 50 people died.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
You kind of underrated the following:
"love thy neighbor" - That is a teaching from Jesus
However , the Commandment 2 states it like this

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

See the last part . As yourself . Speaks volumes on how Christians should behave , doesnt it ? And the given "definition" of who is a neighbor is stated as anyone you can travel to in one days time (meaning dawn to dusk) Now apply that definition to the modern world (it still applies today , if it applied then) . Anyone that you can travel to in a days time.Speaks volumes about being a "neighbor" , huh ? Think , how far can you travel in a days time in this modern world.
Amazing.

And as far as the seriousness of following this Commandment:

…38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.

Ask a "modern style Christian" about this . Bet you they dont know . The second , and as equally important as the First , Commandment
Peace
edit on 6/15/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Its not fair to tar everyone with the same brush, many christians are as equally torn and saddened by these events, have nothing to offer but prayer for what it is worth to you.
Dont condemn us all, evil takes all shapes, wolves hide among the sheep.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

It wouldn't matter if it was Santa Claus who did it. The loss of life is real. There are Christians saying that people should not grieve over the loss of 50 sodomites. Even though some of the dead were straight.

Dead people can't be brought back. Lives have been ruined. And to add to the pain we are being told that their lives did not matter anyway.

How many Christians are saying this? Muslims are murdering people over cartoons, their sexual orientation and their religion! It's actually happening right now and just happened a few days ago! What the FUC# is your obsession from deflecting from that fact? I feel like I'm surrounded by pod people!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JetBlackStare

Do some research.

www.gay.com...

Westboro Baptists put out hate on social media as the bodies were still laying in the club being identified. An Orlando Baptist minister said the quote in my OP.

There are plenty more examples too.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Is it true that he was gay? I've read a couple of articles that claim that. And if he was gay...does that make all these claims of solidarity silly?
I'm Christian. ..there are rules, or your not Christian.
Using jesus to try and prove that breaking the rules is what jesus wanted seems a little strange to me. Your picking and choosing which rules to follow. I don't see anyone using jesus's love as an excuse to break the first commandment.
I'm not saying the rules should be followed. ..but if you don't follow them your not Christian.
And it's okay to not be Christian.
Jesus came to fulfill Jewish laws and traditions...not to destroy them.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

How many Christians are saying this? Muslims are murdering people over cartoons, their sexual orientation and their religion! It's actually happening right now and just happened a few days ago! What the FUC# is your obsession from deflecting from that fact? I feel like I'm surrounded by pod people!

Muslims are another issue. They hate and kill us too. In fact it was a Muslim who did this.

But given that I live in a WESTERN nation where Christianity is the dominant religion, why the heck are Christians jumping on the band wagon and celebrating a Muslim act of terror?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So you're using a crime committed by a Muslim to attack Christians for their response to it (actually, one asshole's response to it)?

You anti-Christian people are completely off your rockers. You will do absolutely anything to attack them at every opportunity, even while deflecting animosity away from the people who would throw you off a building if they could.

Yet another manifestation of mental illness sweeping through the statist-humanist community like a plague.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

That is why I called them right wing Christians. These types are as bad as radical islamists and nazis.

The faith I was bought up in was still anti-gay, but a lot more chilled out and about community and helping a brother (or sister) out in times of need.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yeah, well, Westboro is their own little thing. I'm not sure I'd toss them at the right though. They say ugly things about the military too.

Old Phelps was a registered Democrat before he died, even ran for office once as one. It is pretty accepted that everyone despises them and no one tosses them out as a "side" because they do whatever they can to make themselves loathsome to all.

In short, the right doesn't even really assign them to the left even though protesting soldiers is a pretty leftist thing because they're that nasty.

Just assume Westboro has it's own little circle of hell reserved for it and you'd be about right.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm sure it was only atheists who lined up to donate blood.

I'm sure that was the only atheist Chick-fil-A in the country who opened on Sunday (something the company NEVER does) to feed the first responders and blood donors waiting.

I'm sure no one who claims the faith cares at all that 50 people died.

Do you know that Gay people who wanted to donate blood to help their brethren in this time were denied the right?

We are not even allowed to help ourselves.

edition.cnn.com...
edit on 15-6-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

That is why I called them right wing Christians. These types are as bad as radical islamists and nazis.

The faith I was bought up in was still anti-gay, but a lot more chilled out and about community and helping a brother (or sister) out in times of need.

So bad they regularly toss them off of buildings and slaughter 50 of them?

I think calling them "as bad" is a bit of a stretch. Words are just that, words.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

It's a blood supply thing for health reasons. You know it as well as I do. You may think it archaic but the ones who run the nation's blood supplies still disagree.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join