It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dramatic statement, European leaders call 4 ‘immediate’ open access 2 scientific papers 2020

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
SCIENCE
News

FULL TITLE:
In dramatic statement, European leaders call for ‘immediate’ open access to all scientific papers by 2020

By Martin EnserinkMay. 27, 2016 , 2:30 PM

www.sciencemag.org... 016-05-27&et_rid=34827004&et_cid=518691

In what European science chief Carlos Moedas calls a "life-changing" move, E.U. member states today agreed on an ambitious new open-access (OA) target. All scientific papers should be freely available by 2020, the Competitiveness Council—a gathering of ministers of science, innovation, trade, and industry—concluded after a 2-day meeting in Brussels. But some observers are warning that the goal will be difficult to achieve.
. . .
"The time for talking about Open Access is now past. With these agreements, we are going to achieve it in practice," the Dutch state secretary for education, culture, and science, Sander Dekker, added in a statement.
"The means are still somewhat vague but the determination to reach the goal of having all scientific articles freely accessible by 2020 is welcome," says long-time OA advocate Stevan Harnad of the University of Québec in Canada. The decision was also welcomed by the League of European Research Universities (LERU), which called today's conclusions "a major boost for the transition towards an Open Science system."
. . .

LONG OVERDUE GLOBALLY, imho.
Even the online access prices to most scientific journals--even just one article--are outrageous.
It has sure helped maintain the oligarchy's gate-keeping tyrannies over science discoveries.
It will be interesting to see if this is achieved while Europe is still somewhat intact and still more or less functioning as a culture. The shredding there seems to be picking up pace.
I suspect getting that passed in the USA would take several "acts of Congress" and a lot of pressure from each scientific constituency--which I consider worse than highly unlikely.
Ahhh well . . . sounds like some progress in a good direction.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It is a move in the right direction. I wouldn't expect free energy to be declassified but, maybe eventually?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

Never, the weapons that could be made from it are far too deadly. There is that whole National Security thing....

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN
A lot of big companies, corporations and governments are highly vested in some of that research, and its results. They aren't going to let it slip from their fingers easily. But for what it's worth, I think all scientific discoveries should be public domain within reason.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
A lot of big companies, corporations and governments are highly vested in some of that research, and its results. They aren't going to let it slip from their fingers easily. But for what it's worth, I think all scientific discoveries should be public domain within reason.

I greatly agree.

Am keenly aware of some of the black ops sorts of discoveries and the huge investments in keeping them black--for a list of reasons.

Certainly massively deadly potential weapons would be a decent reason to keep some things out of the public domain. Imagine a Jihadi with such a thing! . . . or a factions of Islam war against each other with such weapons. Doodness!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Publishing a paper cost money, in average 5k per paper, open access means that instead of a subscriber paying the cost (libraries/universities) this cost is covered by the author paying a fee to publish.

When you publish an article it does not means it will get accepted right away, some journals only accept around 30% of articles, imagine you summit 5 papers a year and one is accepted, that's 25k of your budget that went to nothing instead of research.

People want to publish in prestigious journals because it has an impact in their careers (all this stuff if what get you funds), does the governments want to replace this journals with government controlled institutions or they simply will shift the cost to authors so everyone can have access to something really few care (lest's face it, most people don't care about 99% of what is being researched...), or they want the publishers to work for free?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I think that the publishers deserve a fair wage/salary for their educated efforts.

Perhaps there could be a sliding scale in terms of a committee rated estimate of the benefit to society of the research.

It would be reasonable to me for universities or government to pay for publishing. I'd rather that the public solve the problem instead of government, however. There have to be several ways to skin that cat that would work.

Perhaps new technologies making it to production and successful sales could pay a sort of tax toward publishing of future journal articles. The fee could be based on the degree of wealth that the break-through generated.

Publishing online would be rather inexpensive in most respects.

Certainly "a workman is worthy his hire."

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Perhaps new technologies making it to production and successful sales could pay a sort of tax toward publishing of future journal articles. The fee could be based on the degree of wealth that the break-through generated.

Publishing online would be rather inexpensive in most respects.

Most scientific publication never gets to be a technology or product or whatever, most of it is published in the first place because is not good enough to justify a patent.

Publishing online only now in open access journals cost from 500 to 5000 depending on the prestige of the journal.

Imagine you are a researcher just hired in a group and get 50k in funds for a 3 year project, the only way to improve your ranking and being able to opt for better funds is publishing, about 5 papers per year is a good average, go to current open access model and your 50k funds for 3 years ended in publishing 2 years of papers, if you are lucky none where rejected (what research you made if all went to publishing?).

So this democratization of knowledge in reality just means killing most research, new researchers won't have a chance and only the stablished big fish that gets good funding are the ones that will publish.
edit on 15-6-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sounds like more government control of what gets published via funding.

Anyone can walk into a lot of public university libraries.

Cheaper to enroll in 1 credit at college to get online access

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
SCIENCE
News

FULL TITLE:
In dramatic statement, European leaders call for ‘immediate’ open access to all scientific papers by 2020

By Martin EnserinkMay. 27, 2016 , 2:30 PM

www.sciencemag.org... 016-05-27&et_rid=34827004&et_cid=518691

In what European science chief Carlos Moedas calls a "life-changing" move, E.U. member states today agreed on an ambitious new open-access (OA) target. All scientific papers should be freely available by 2020, the Competitiveness Council—a gathering of ministers of science, innovation, trade, and industry—concluded after a 2-day meeting in Brussels. But some observers are warning that the goal will be difficult to achieve.
. . .
"The time for talking about Open Access is now past. With these agreements, we are going to achieve it in practice," the Dutch state secretary for education, culture, and science, Sander Dekker, added in a statement.
"The means are still somewhat vague but the determination to reach the goal of having all scientific articles freely accessible by 2020 is welcome," says long-time OA advocate Stevan Harnad of the University of Québec in Canada. The decision was also welcomed by the League of European Research Universities (LERU), which called today's conclusions "a major boost for the transition towards an Open Science system."
. . .

LONG OVERDUE GLOBALLY, imho.
Even the online access prices to most scientific journals--even just one article--are outrageous.
It has sure helped maintain the oligarchy's gate-keeping tyrannies over science discoveries.
It will be interesting to see if this is achieved while Europe is still somewhat intact and still more or less functioning as a culture. The shredding there seems to be picking up pace.
I suspect getting that passed in the USA would take several "acts of Congress" and a lot of pressure from each scientific constituency--which I consider worse than highly unlikely.
Ahhh well . . . sounds like some progress in a good direction.

Any published paper is already publicly accessible. Any fees paid are towards the publisher. Online is more immediate but one could wait til the paper copy is printed and look up any research they want at a local library.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
May I point out that any pony can post their scientific paper here on ATS (ST forum) for free, thus, giving access to every one in the world for free.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

All y'all's points are fitting, worthy points.

I just doggedly believe that such problems could be overcome if there was a will to do it.

I hate seeing UNNECESSARY restrictions on the sharing of such knowledge.

I realize it's tradition hereon to list the 1,001 reasons something CAN'T be done or isn't true etc.

Occasionally, it would be nice to see some brainstorming about how a solution could be found.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
We should use a gofund me as a request for and reward for disclosure and when it gets to a billion or two maybe we will have a taker.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'm sure there will be people who will now scream "New World Order" or "Globalism!"

People want to keep their state secrets...Nationalism is the natural push-back against globalism.

Lots of Nationalism lately...especially in the USA..

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
From my experience arxiv.org is a decent online library of research papers which can be read for free. It's really not that difficult or expensive to host some text documents, I don't know why they see it as some huge challenge. I personally believe most research should be in the public domain, especially if it was funded by public tax payer dollars. It's very useful to have sources of information more detailed than Wikipedia when doing research.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

I'm all for Nationalism . . . anything that will slow down the rush to the tyrannical one world government and religion.

I don't see that Nationalism has to prevent open sourcing professional papers, however.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

ABSOLUTELY INDEED. AGREED.

Will check the link out. Thanks.

Ahhhhhh . . . I've seen that site before. No social sciences. Sigh.

edit on 15/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: stabstab
We should use a gofund me as a request for and reward for disclosure and when it gets to a billion or two maybe we will have a taker.

This has nothing to do with disclosure since they are published and available to anyone.. .

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Knowledge is anti-authority, antitaxation, and antigovernment. So this will never pass in EU or USA. China and Russia are learning as much as they can anyway they can but not for their citizens.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

You don't pay for papers that aren't accepted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join