It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this body shaming?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Is this body shaming? I ask because of what just happened in the UK. I live in a country where this is common, and just want an idea. to me this is not body shaming. We have wonderful models here, who sell swimwear, even indigenous ladies, and no one ever complains...

Is this worthy of being banned, and all future such things banned?

“Are you beach body ready?” asked the ad for Protein World, a maker of dietary supplements. The ad was defaced in subway stations across London when it appeared in April 2015, and it drew strong protests.

On Monday, London’s new mayor, Sadiq Khan, announced a ban on such ads — which critics call “fat-shaming” — from London’s public transportation system starting in July, saying the messages encourage unhealthy body images for young women.

Or something else...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt

Not in my opinion. Protein World .... like they're going to use some fat lump on their advert. It's like expecting to see fat people in a men's fitness or a bodybuilding magazine. Stupid. Maybe if it was a McDonald's advert I'd understand the position. They make nutrition/dietary supplements. Obviously they want someone who looks healthy representing them.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

No. That is a fit body and this company(I assume) offers health products that promote such bodies so of course this is the type of body to be used in adverts. It would be counterproductive to have a fat person on the advert.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parafitt
Is this body shaming? I ask because of what just happened in the UK. I live in a country where this is common, and just want an idea. to me this is not body shaming. We have wonderful models here, who sell swimwear, even indigenous ladies, and no one ever complains...

Is this worthy of being banned, and all future such things banned?

“Are you beach body ready?” asked the ad for Protein World, a maker of dietary supplements. The ad was defaced in subway stations across London when it appeared in April 2015, and it drew strong protests.

On Monday, London’s new mayor, Sadiq Khan, announced a ban on such ads — which critics call “fat-shaming” — from London’s public transportation system starting in July, saying the messages encourage unhealthy body images for young women.

Or something else...

I say ban it and all other stuff...screw it..ban the internet too..ban all this crappy music while they are at it...seperate the genders...back to the stoneage I say for a reboot..

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

To me it's the same. I see no shame in thing ladies. nor bigger ladies. but selling a product designed to enhance a better physique, I can not imagine anything else. Yet it is banned. Soon we will all be blobs of non descript gelatninous mass, with no features, selling things that makes us more of the same.

I believe the new world order will see us all as without any individuality. and this new mayor is seeing it so.

Thanks for the reply !

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

that is not an unhealthy body so NO

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't care for the new term "fat-shaming". I'm nearly 60 years old, and throughout all of my life, there have been ads in magazines, newspapers, TV, billboards that pushed the "acceptable" line of nudity. Sex sells. Mostly airbrushed impossible people are put forward to sell everything. There is nothing new about this new trend. I don't think it's important. A mayor doesn't like it, and speaks out for himself to see if there is support. That's the way things are changed, by referendum or collective vote.

For myself, it's really a non-issue. On our own home front, there is talk that the street celebrations (Batabano, Bracanal, etc.) have devolved into parades of people who emulate sexual activity. My Mother saw a video of one and called me to ask if my Darlin' and me walked in the parade and "did that nasty dancing stuff". I told her, "Mom, if I tried to do that, I'm sure I'd break something." Do I approve? Well, it's not for me, but I don't see that it hurts anything, and manages to temporarily jump kick the economy. There is a police presence that attempt to stop drunken drivers related to the event. That's the sole concern of mine in regard to these events -- that nobody is hurt by them. They make me feel old as hell, but that's okay.

I look at advertising in the same way. In some European countries, adverts are allowed that would be illegal in, say, the U.S. for their sexual content and/or nudity. Different strokes -- no pun intended.

I may be getting on toward old, but I ain't dead. I have no problem with models making money using their bodies to sell products. It's nothing new.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That's not even the whole of my argument my friend. See, this pisses me off on numerous levels.

This censorship implies that we have hordes of people that are becoming bulimic out of shame and they must be protected from this. It ignores the fact that the obesity problem is much worse, much more costly and much and more widespread.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Absolutely. We need governments and politicians to nanny us now, and protect us from ourselves, because we just can't figure out that not everyone has a "models body".

What if these models think they're being body shamed, because they have the type of body advertisers want, and the gubermint is lessening their ability to work, because their body offends those who don't have the same shape?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
No problem with the marketing campaign, but it gained traction and in the UK a school started this "bikini fit" classes for girls under 15, that's where the problems is. The slogan is powerful and does affect the youngsters . But I'm cynical so I will say there's no problem and those that feel the need to get bikini fit deserve all the negativity.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt While I don't find it to be mean to anyone over a size 6 or 8...it does seem to have a subliminal message that a body that has more to love isn't a body that belongs on a beach. A size 10 or larger isn't a beach body..? Anyone can go to the beach.
Promoting a healthy body doesn't necessarily mean that your only healthy as long as you look a certain way... not everybody has the same body chemistry and metabolism... some folks can work out and watch their food intake until they are blue in the face and won't look like that models body.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Agreed. I am the first person against body shaming, but that is an entirely different thing. this is espousing a scenario, a product is designed to achieve. be it so or not, you don't use gold to make a $2 ring. you sell it, and show how it shines.

I can understand if it was selling footwear, but this is just getting out of control.

When things like this, which I say are common here, are becoming outlawed, we're heading into the gloomy state of humanity.

It's a product being advertised. And I think with a catchy advert. Why people would deface it, is beyond me. ahh this world...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
In communication you've got your originator and your recipient. What the originator intends isn't always what the recipient receives, or at least isn't interpreted that way.

So in this case it appears to me the shame is on the recipient since I can not in any reasonable way see an intent to shame.

If something can be taken multiple ways, and one of them makes you feel ashamed or uncomfortable, then pick another way to take it.

I used to have some shame, but I gave it up for liquor.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
I say ban it and all other stuff...screw it..ban the internet too..ban all this crappy music while they are at it...seperate the genders...back to the stoneage I say for a reboot..

I'll get my club coz me wants a wife.

but before I do I'll hope the nightmare ends and I wake up :/

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Its targeted marketing, it is aimed at insecure people to sell a product.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
She doesn't have a burqa on.

They can't show their face in Muslim land...

link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Its targeted marketing, it is aimed at insecure people to sell a product.

Insecure or not, should it be banned? I think not. yet it is. and anything similar.

we had a super model here use the words "Where the bloody hell are ya" in reference to tourists coming to Australia. That got knocked on the head too, the word bloody was offensive, somehow, but at least that I can understand, to a degree.

She was still wearing a skimpy bikini to advertise this nation.

In a world full of kardashians able to show their knickers at whim, to ban this to me, is really confusing. Be it insecure people or not. Sure I get what you mean, but you don't advertise the best tv in the world by showing a black and white telly, showing re-runs of mr squiggle. ??

link   
It's not shaming at all. It is just a human. And we don't need anyone to tell us what we can see or how we should look like, nor should we ban or tell advertisers how to promote their product. People can (or should) think for themselves.

But Hell yeah I would like an Adblocker in my glasses.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

that is not an unhealthy body so NO

Exactly. Spot on! But it makes some people mad so it's gone.. :/

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

In a world full of kardashians able to show their knickers at whim, to ban this to me, is really confusing. Be it insecure people or not. Sure I get what you mean, but you don't advertise the best tv in the world by showing a black and white telly, showing re-runs of mr squiggle.

They might show that if they are comparing that tv with the newer "superior" model marketers and advertisers are very clever. They spend quite a bit of money studying human behavior and habits, they also study quite a bit of psychology and things that make people feel happy and sad and angry. The thing modern advertisers has learned is that sex, violence, and controversy are the most effective means to talk about their product, by talking about the ad or product becomes secondary advertisement, it gleans to let their ad enter the minds of a wider scope of people.

Even now, we are talking about this advertisement and this is what they want.
Do I think it should be banned or not, I don't know my friend I truly don't know because people often volunteer to be manipulated by aggressive marketing firms and I believe in free speech and artistic license. I wish that I didn't have to be exposed to this kind of manipulation against my will though, its just that those 2 sentiments are in direct conflict-ion with one another.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join