It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shameful 'minute applause' of modern society...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I just watched the 'minute applause' before the French game in the Euro's, for the French police officer and his wife who were murdered.

It saddened me not for the needless killing, but that a minute silence has turned into applause because people can't behave themselves and hold a minute of quiet reflection communally anymore in some sections of society.

There was a minute silence before an international rugby match in Wales earlier this year, 70,000 people and it was observed impeccably, not a sound, quiet reflection...until the referee blew his whistle and there was overwhelming noise of cheers and clapping. Such an experience really is a communal thought for the loss of others in our communities, and deeply felt with the communal silence.

Is that how bad it has become? Can't change the noisy disrespectful pricks so change the minute from silence to clapping.
What a #ing disgrace. You can tell me as much as you like that this is a developing social norm but I say bollocks, it's about a sport attempting to hide the shameful elements of society instead of dealing with them.

What's next? Do we have a minutes applause at the Cenotaph in London on the 11th of November because some twats can't behave themselves?!
Silence, and communal thought in that silence, is how we do it here, and in other sports or societal group situations we still do.
Football though, you sold yourself out. #ing shameful.

[/rant]

I'll be crap at thread responses here tonight as I'm watching the match and I can't be arsed if anyone disagrees with me, I've said what I wanted to.
Football has sold itself out to appease the scum element and run with the applause to hide it. Shameful.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Pretty much everything you have said is true. ..however, sometimes it is a reflection on the character of the person who has died, like funerals playing "always look on the brightside of life". Some people don't want to evoke sadness upon their death, although in the situation you describe, I do not think it is the case.

I agree it is to mask the a##holes.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
To me, it depends on the individual, maybe their profession and what they might have achieved. Tragedy would probably merit silence more than applause - clapping may be more appropriate in some cases where it is more a celebration of their life rather than outright mourning of death. For instance, if a prominent ex-footballer passes naturally at old age and he had an outstanding career then I feel that an applause is a much more suitable tribute, especially at a stadium. I think in this case, the Paris police officer, it should have been silence.

edit on 1WednesdayWednesdayAmerica/Chicago2pmWednesday3pm06 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The first thing in the minute of silence was the commentator of the stadium blaring in French through the speakers.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Don't worry, when our 'Maj' dies, you'll be sick of the minute's silence. Everywhere you go 24/7 until her funeral.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Don't see how it makes a difference , if they are showing 1 minute of respect why does it need to be silent respect.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I realise they probably watch this place anyway, but that probably got EM-EYE-FIVE curious.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Don't worry, when our 'Maj' dies, you'll be sick of the minute's silence. Everywhere you go 24/7 until her funeral.

Lol.
That's gonna be a #ing nightmare!
I hope she lives forever if only to avoid that.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Don't see how it makes a difference , if they are showing 1 minute of respect why does it need to be silent respect.

Agreed to a certain extent.
Do you think the new thing of applause in football is because of genuine societal change?
Do you think my assumption that this change is to mask the noisy folk a load of # idea or do think this has happened organically in a societal way?

I'm interested on your thoughts regarding the change from silence to applause, do you want applause on Armistice day?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IllegalName

I realise they probably watch this place anyway, but that probably got EM-EYE-FIVE curious.

I've said worse, if I'm not on their radar, then we're in trouble.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
The first thing in the minute of silence was the commentator of the stadium blaring in French through the speakers.

Was it actually a minute of silence then? I heard the commentator going on and then everyone clapping.
I couldn't understand him because my French is just about conversational, but I took the experience of what I saw as a minutes applause or whatever?

...either way, |'ve seen the applause over silence at no other sporting event than football.
Why change what ain't broke...or is it broke when some folk don't behave themselves?

link   

Hah! Believe me, if I’m here then they’re looking.

Anyway, just as another example. Ayrton Senna, need we say more... tragic, very tragic indeed, but he was the world’s best at the time. Applause for his career or silence for meeting such a tragic end? I’d say applause because he died doing what he loved.

edit on 1WednesdayWednesdayAmerica/Chicago3pmWednesday3pm06 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

link   

I think it's because it's a sporting event , applause is both easier to observe and more energetic in terms of atmosphere , the game is still to be played after the tribute.

I'm interested on your thoughts regarding the change from silence to applause, do you want applause on Armistice day?

Absolutely not , for something of that gravity it would be inappropriate but in a stadium of people who have no real connection to the people being remembered I think it more appropriate.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Why the change in football then?
Rugby hasn't changed. Both sports have observed a minutes silence for deaths over 100 years now, why football?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well, honestly it could have been worse.

It could have been a minute of "jazz hands", so nobody was triggered.

But I agree. I prefer the moment of silence. It just seems to mean more.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IllegalName

My thoughts are:

' let us not mourn them, but celebrate them, whomever them may be.'

Cobaltic 1978

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: Dumbass

Was it actually a minute of silence then? I heard the commentator going on and then everyone clapping.
I couldn't understand him because my French is just about conversational, but I took the experience of what I saw as a minutes applause or whatever?

...either way, |'ve seen the applause over silence at no other sporting event than football.
Why change what ain't broke...or is it broke when some folk don't behave themselves?

I don't know when it started. lol it was the one commenting on the live stream saying that there would be a minute of silence. But as far as I know, it always has been an applause in for whomever they remember. Both groups of supporters together applauding instead of chanting against eachother.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Why the change in football then?
Rugby hasn't changed. Both sports have observed a minutes silence for deaths over 100 years now, why football?

Because of disrespect being demonstrated at terribly inappropriate times.

Rugby fans respect such traditions.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Don't know mate but it's not just football , I saw this last year and it put a tear in my eye , more poignant than silence.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Cheers, never seen that before.
Maybe because the snooker crowd have to be so absolutely silent it is a little more poignant though?
The applause certainly seems appropriate in that film.

Football and other areas of society have definitely changed from silence to applause though, and I believe it is to appease the people who break the silences, and broke silences in the last few years, inspiring the change.
It is my own perspective of course, perhaps you see things differently?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join