It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cactus Mama Nest (pictures)

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
We have a huge cholla cactus in our pasture and for about 5 years, there's been a curve-billed thrasher that nests in there every year. Last year, an apparent marauder got in there and messed up the nest and it was falling out... so eventually, I knocked it down with a stick. This year, she re-built her nest. We've seen many baby birdies come out of that nest.

This morning, the mama is sitting on another nest full of eggs (2-3), so I snapped a picture. See her orange eye?

And a wider shot:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Nice post and pictures!

It seems like a smart choice to build one's nest to be surrounded by spikes.

edit on 15-6-2016 by paperdoll because: added words

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

i love nature!!! S&F

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Beautiful photos.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Cool pics! Is it only me who thinks it looks like a fish? I got up way too early this morning, so maybe it's just me.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll
It seems like a smart choice to build one's nest to be surrounded by spikes.

It's a natural defense against almost everything. I've seen her get in and out and it's a pretty amazing feat! A study in controlled flight.

originally posted by: Night Star
Is it only me who thinks it looks like a fish?

LOL! No, I see the fish... but trust me, it's a bird. The desert fish nest in the prickly pear cactus.

edit on 6/15/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think your right..

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Whew, glad I'm not the only one who saw a fish. LOL

I forgot to star and flag so I just did.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The best defensive nest I ever saw on my farm was a mockingbird who built her nest right above a bald face hornet's nest. Needless to say, nothing ever bothered them.
edit on 15-6-2016 by NightFlight because: left out an ess

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There was once a birds nest in our german shepards doghouse, the two sheps never minded the birds and never bothered the nest, as a matter of fact they didn't even go in the dog house while the birds were living there. I thought, smart bird nothings going to take them eggs, the sheps will run off just about any other creature except the birds. I wonder if it is mother instinct from one creature to another as the one shep her name is Schatzie has had pups before.

Those are some really cool pictures, I wasn't sure what I was looking at, at first but now that I do it makes it even cooler

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Awwww, your dogs sound so sweet!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Brotherman

Awwww, your dogs sound so sweet!

They are actually more like junkyard dogs lol, they guard the house and the garages and the workshop, They aren't out right vicious or anything but they do like to growl and bark at people not invited. Other then that they are both goofy playful devils.

new topics

top topics

join