It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Henry McCullough: Legendary rock guitarist dies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sad to hear that Henry has died, he didn't have great health for some time although he still did gigs.

Way back in 1966 he joined a band then known as 'The People', (later Eire Apparent) I was just leaving, though I was a bass player then, Henry was a replacement for the lead player.

From the link,
"The 72-year-old died on Tuesday morning.
Mr McCullough grew up in Portstewart, County Londonderry. He recorded with a number of very well-known musicians including Sir Paul McCartney and Wings, featuring on the hit James Bond theme, Live and Let Die.

He played with Joe Cocker at the legendary Woodstock concert in 1969, the only Irishman to perform there."

R.I.P. Henry.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 14-6-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

The man who played lead guitar on the original version of Live and Let Die...

To the hall of heroes sent,
With a fretboard hand,
That would not relent,
Lesser players bow in regret,
In honour of a legendary gent.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: smurfy

The man who played lead guitar on the original version of Live and Let Die...

To the hall of heroes sent,
With a fretboard hand,
That would not relent,
Lesser players bow in regret,
In honour of a legendary gent.

Simple as that, Henry was an excellent guitarist, he had years of experience in Gene and the Gents, an Irish showband, long before Wings. The showband experience also made him very versatile..one reason why McCartney wanted him for Wings.

To edit, your last line is very apt, since Henry was one of 'the gents' as that band was commonly called.
edit on 14-6-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The solo he played on 'My Love' was beautiful, one of my all time favourite solos.

RIP Henry.

edit on 14/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
One of the great unsung workmanlike guitarists with Wings and his session work. Those workmanlike players used to populate the seventies album rock scene. I was recently playing some work he did with Eric Burdon around my place , very strong tone with silvery leads.
He is also "famous" for the spoken word bit on Pink Floyds' Dark Side Of The Moon: " I don't know I was really drunk at the time.."

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
The solo he played on 'My Love' was beautiful, one of my all time favourite solos.

RIP Henry.

new topics

top topics

join