It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autotheism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
So I recently found out the definition for the belief that ones self is god.

The definition of autotheism is: worship of oneself or belief that one is a deity

I searched on ats only to be shocked there is no discussion of the topic. maybe one or 2 comments left about the definition

same with google my search also yielded no discussions or websites on the topic just an album by a metal band. really weird...

surely other people have had these similar thoughts?

on this forum many individuals including myself believe in the notion that there is a collective consciousness, that reality is an illusion etc etc

i am not religious personally and reject the notion that there is some ruler or god that created all that is around me however some people still insist on that as being true

but what if i am god and i simply created this illusion my whole life around me everyone i am interacting with was a figment of my imagination and when i die i am all that is left??? does that make sense?????

anyone have any thoughts? please share

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
God is a schizophrenic that thinks it is everything else.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Im sorry but I am God, you are my illusion.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The Law of One

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Nobody could ever prove to me that the universe isn't just for me and that I'm not the only one that really exists...

Bow down to me punny sparkles from my imagination! :p

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

ha ha ha ha i know its really a funny thought but i think it deserves discussion

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

I thought you were going to worship your car. Autotheism and all.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think you'd have better results if you searched "solipsism" because that is what you described. Maybe autotheism is another word for it but it's the first I've heard of it.
edit on 6/11/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

but what if i am god and i simply created this illusion my whole life around me everyone i am interacting with was a figment of my imagination and when i die i am all that is left??? does that make sense?????
anyone have any thoughts? please share.

Classic I-thou existential dilemma. So let me tell you a short story of my ventures into these depths.
I was 17 when I was first asking these questions. One night, my younger brother by two years were having a talk in our bedroom and it curved into some of these questions, these deep questions that at time plague us all. Well I ventured into this one with him and even though he was only 15 he knew exactly what I was taking about. Anyway, it went on for about two hours, this conversation. It was amazing to me that he had also given consideration to these questions of existence. As the two hours drew to a close and it was time to go to sleep, I was in awe of my brother and found that I had had my first real adult, grown up philosophical conversation and it had been with my best friend, my brother.

So at that point I had to go take a pee and told him I would be right back. As I left the bedroom and got into the hall I all of a sudden was filled with existential fear. Where a moment before I had awoken to the realization that I was not alone in my thoughts, that indeed my brother had also had the some thoughts, I now as I walked down the hall was faced with the reality of my own fears. That my brother, my only link with this deeper self of independent thinking, might, if these suppositions were true reality, that he might be nothing more than a figment of my own imagination were ground shaking. That as I walked out the door and left the vicinity of that conversation, that he would just blink out of existence until I returned to cause him to blink back was shattering. SHATTERING.

So I quivered as I peed and t repetitiously, filled with fear that maybe, if he was really only a figment of my own imagination, might not be there when I returned. That maybe somehow just realizing that he might be a figment, could be enough to pop the illusion and I would be without a brother because he was nothing but my won illusions after all.

So as I came back into the room I was an existential wreak, at 18. Was he gone? No. Was he sitting on his bed like he had been when I left. No.He, knowing exactly how I would be thinking as I left the room, was standing on top of our dresser, posed in a position resembling the famous sculpture 'winged victory', and completely naked. COMPLETELY NAKED.

In that second of seeing him like that, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I, even in my most creative dreams, could not have made that up. Could not have anticipated that completely 'left field' concoction. My mind settled, my fears dispelled and I never again thought that it might all be just a figment of my own divine illusion.
And that was all 50 years ago.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
In the beginning I said to God, make me a planet and wake me up when it has a country that you can live in and not have to work.

And it came to pass when 666 was in the White House that my creation had come to fruition the one I let call himself God because he is a title fiend woke me.

Sorry about that guys, I should not have delegated to Baal. Oh yeah, Yahweh is Baal. He is very sneaky but he is so ugly if you look at him you die so I have to camp out here and have the Kabbalists kill him but first they need to find a male Levite and he is an Arab so....

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
So I recently found out the definition for the belief that ones self is god.

The definition of autotheism is: worship of oneself or belief that one is a deity

To the exclusion of all else?
They lock you up when you imagine that you are God and no one else is.
If you allow everyone to Be, no one bothers you because you treat everyone as God.

The definition of 'Omni-' is ALL INCLUSIVE!
One!
There is no'thing' else/other than God!
There is not anything in existence that is NOT God!
You, me, the sun, dreams, thoughts, rocks, fish Zika viruses...;

Existence = the complete Universe = Nature = Reality = Consciousness = Truth = Love = 'Self!' = God = Brahman = Tao = ... etc....
ALL INCLUSIVE!!
'One'!

So, yes, We Are God! *__-

To 'worship' oneself, and none other is mere vanity, insanity.
'Exclusion' is always insanity.
Unconditional Love (health) is ALWAYS inclusive!

edit on 12-6-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

How did I know this thread would attract you? You have a horrible way of typing. Please proper English next time.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I am...

Don't religious texts say to look within.

So, several years ago I was mowing the grass when something in the upper left hemisphere of my brain let go. I let go of the lawn mower and stared into the tree tops and said to myself "I'm done" (as in dead). The heavens opened up and I felt the universe.

What I felt scared the crap out of me. I felt disappointment which is a very uncomfortable thing to feel from the universe. Thought I was headed to a warm place for eternity. I thought of all the wrong I had done in life and tried to quickly get my excuses in order so maybe I could lie to God and he wouldn't be any wiser. Then I thought "If I had to do this life again I wouldn't do anything different". I relaxed and was ready to go meet my maker.

Then the feeling of the universe receded. Since I thought it wouldn't be nice for my wife at the time to find me face down in the lawn clippings I went inside and sat down on the couch. And waited to die. Didn't die but I spent the next several months occasionally wondering what alien language my coworkers were speaking. Or why food didn't taste at all like it should. I'd just sit and eat a jar of jalapenos for fun and damn if they weren't sweet. Like bread and butter pickles.

After I had recovered enough I started to have troubling thoughts. Like, maybe I did die and I am continuing on within my own mind. Worst of all I was seeing things happen that backed this up. Don't spirits that don't move on still think they are alive. I am creating all of the details of this reality. Or maybe I was never alive. Lol, what is real....

In time I became convinced that we are all reality generators. All parts of God unawares and it is the act of being unaware that allows us to spin our reality as f'd up as any of us could want. We literally create this world around us in unison, like a choir of God's fragments singing a song.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
a reply to: namelesss

How did I know this thread would attract you? You have a horrible way of typing. Please proper English next time.

Forgive me, language Nazi (because you have nothing of substance to argue or contribute?), but it appears that everyone does not suffer from the same cognitive and intellectual limitations as you do.
Congratulations on your 'precognition'' though!
Whoop!
Wasn't too hard, I'm sure...
(And how sweet that you were thinking of me! *__- )

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Members of the Church of Satan often refer to themselves as "I-theists."
I-theism (at least for them) appears to be a denial of the existence of God (the "traditional" monotheistic superman) with one's self elevated to the top of a hierarchy of concerns.

www.churchofsatan.com...

top topics

join