It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
And I thought I was cynic. I think you and Bonez have me beat. lol. That's Windows 98, by the way.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
That's Windows 98, by the way.

Yes. I still have my Windows 98 SE disc floating around here somewhere. Best OS before XP.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

And yet, I find it strange that you've had so many of these "issues" yet I've not seen one.

Interesting.

Nice way to passive aggressively doubt our word. Nice.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I still have a old E machine with Windows 98 and it still works. The ram is so little compared to today's ram. Lol

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Ooh, an antique.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

And yet, I find it strange that you've had so many of these "issues" yet I've not seen one.

Interesting.

Nice way to passive aggressively doubt our word. Nice.

And I explained why I have my doubts in detail. It wasn't a personal attack. It was a critical observation. I, and other techs I know are out there in the field every day. We talk. We pick each others brains. When someone tells me the issues we deal with daily are our imagination, I doubt that persons experience in the field.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

If you actually perused this thread, you'd notice that he said he also hasn't had many issues. It's other people. People that are less computer savvy, or people who either weren't ready for the update and had it forced down their throats, or people who got the update and didn't have drivers and other software updated.

All it takes is a quick search around the net to find the numerous problems people are having with the Windows 10 upgrade. From the upgrade itself not going right, or drivers not being updated causing issues. Or older software not working correctly.

Just because you, yourself, haven't had issues, doesn't mean there aren't thousands or millions of others that aren't having issues.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Ah, you're right... it was Win98.

I went from 95 to 98, not 97.

Guess my old fart syndrome is starting to kick in... all these damn OS changes are boggling my brain.

And yes, I'm a major cynic when it comes to Micro-not-so-Soft (on the wallet) scams.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

originally posted by: Klassified
That's Windows 98, by the way.

Yes. I still have my Windows 98 SE disc floating around here somewhere. Best OS before XP.

Somewhere, I should have a floppy disk set of Windows 95. 14 disks I think. Or was that 98 that was 14 disks? Gotta see if I can find those. I also have an old Compaq "portable" with DOS on it. An old IRS machine. Still boots up, and weighs a ton.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

If you actually perused this thread, you'd notice that he said he also hasn't had many issues. It's other people. People that are less computer savvy, or people who either weren't ready for the update and had it forced down their throats, or people who got the update and didn't have drivers and other software updated.

All it takes is a quick search around the net to find the numerous problems people are having with the Windows 10 upgrade. From the upgrade itself not going right, or drivers not being updated causing issues. Or older software not working correctly.

Just because you, yourself, haven't had issues, doesn't mean there aren't thousands or millions of others that aren't having issues.

You put it better than I did. Thanx.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Well having upgraded on one machine from XP to Win 7 then Win 10 with no software issues I may just be lucky, oh actually it's 3 desktops & 3 laptops (forgot my daughters). So 6 different machines 2 x i3 2 x i5 one AMD 64 X4 iirc and an i7 with anything from 4-16 gb of ram various video cards /motherboards etc no issues.

The trouble is only people that have problems make a noise so how much is down to user/hardware or OS.

As for the comment about supposed to make things easier, over the years Windows/ios/Android have made it VERY EASY you just have to look at the BS posted on conspiracy sites to see that back in the dim and distant past when floppy discs and 512k of ram was a lot going online would be too difficult & expensive for most.

We had a thread on here after the Win 10 launch about the spyware with a link to some idiot on youtube who deliberately never mentioned on their video that it could be turned off so NO surprise there.

edit on 11-6-2016 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's been several years now since I've used a PC with a MS OS.

Other than the increasingly poor performance ((understatement)) over time, the thing that solidified my disgust was a few years ago when I had some hardware or driver issues (I don't even recall what that issue was) and I had to contact MS.

They tried to charge for email and phone tech support. That's when I said FMS.

That what you describe is happening doesn't surprise me.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

The trouble is only people that have problems make a noise so how much is down to user/hardware or OS.

Obviously, that's not true. You're here to let all of us know what idiots we are, as well as all of our clients. Seems you've made plenty of noise.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

It's been several years now since I've used a PC with a MS OS.

Other than the increasingly poor performance ((understatement)) over time, the thing that solidified my disgust was a few years ago when I had some hardware or driver issues (I don't even recall what that issue was) and I had to contact MS.

They tried to charge for email and phone tech support. That's when I said FMS.

That what you describe is happening doesn't surprise me.

Overrall, I have been relatively pleased with my own Microsoft experience over the years. Sure, there have been problems, like memory leaks, Kernel issues, non-native support of some hardware until MS has no choice but to include it, networking issues, permissions issues with 7 and after, and so on. But Apple has had their own fiasco's, and are a bit more tight-lipped about it, as well as more likely than even MS to put out fixes that do more than what they say, to cover their butts.

My own Windows 10 machine has been stable and fast, and so far, does well under pressure. I have run it through the paces heavily. My biggest complaint with MS, other than the point of this whole thread, is they don't listen to their clientele, even when they say they are. People would have gobbled up Windows 8, had it not gone to extremes. MS had a chance to take what everyone liked about 7, and improve the desktop/laptop platform with those factors in mind. Instead, they went for a one OS fits all hybrid that people hated. 10 was a step in the right direction, but that was somewhat negated in that it too is a one size fits all OS, and a hybrid. On top of that, they decided to make it just as invasive as a smartphone is.

i'm really disappointed in the direction Microsoft has taken. They could have done so much better with the opportunity they had, and they wouldn't have had to force their product on anyone.
edit on 6/11/2016 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Any suggestions to try and solve the problem where

when I leave window (A) and open window (B) . . . within 3-7 seconds, window (A) will snap back on top of window (B)--particularly if window (B) was opened from window (A) (IIRC, but not only--it can happen when window (B) was from an earlier window that had been minimized but was then called up).

???
I've tested about all the add-ons with FF by turning them off.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

It wasn't me that started a thread MOANING about Win 10 was it.

So what I said is true

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Any suggestions to try and solve the problem where

when I leave window (A) and open window (B) . . . within 3-7 seconds, window (A) will snap back on top of window (B)--particularly if window (B) was opened from window (A) (IIRC, but not only--it can happen when window (B) was from an earlier window that had been minimized but was then called up).

???
I've tested about all the add-ons with FF by turning them off.

Hard to say without being there, but I would run something like Ccleaner, and then Malwarebytes free, to see if you have any malware running on your machine. The only time I've seen browser windows jump into focus from the background is when there is malware involved. I'm not saying that's the case this time, but from the info you've given me, it sounds like a possibility. It sounds like an active program in the background is bringing it to the foreground.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You can always use "GWX Control Panel" to stop all windows 10 pop ups, notifications, and delete all windows 10 software from your computer. it also blocks windows 10 upgrades, and other upgrades for windows 10 hidden in multiple smaller updates which windows has been downloading into windows 7 and 8/8.1 users' pcs without their consent.

www.computerworld.com...

edit on 11-6-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
So again.. the issue isn't the one-off upgrade. Those will introduce a few problems for some folks, sure. And I'm sure those folks are understandably and rightfully upset the malware-like upgrade was unexpected, unwanted, and caused issues.

But the BIG issue.. is businesses. Not home computers. That is where MS is screwing the pooch. Forced upgrades WELL before the actual end of life of Windows 7 (2020.. haha, no!), Skylake processor limitations (only critical updates for you sucker!), it's a real nightmare. A home user might encounter 20 programs that they need to find a way to make them work with Windows 10. Some will work without an issue.. some will require compatibility mode or other fixes.. some won't work at all.

For a small business, have fun getting 1 or 2k programs to work. For larger businesses, have a ball figuring out the 10k or 20k programs for compatibility. wee.

This forced upgrade with an intensity I've never seen before, the data collection at an unprecedented level, the loss of control for critical things like updates (since patched), it all leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

MS is basically forcing businesses to upgrade all computers purchased August last year onwards before July of next year. That is an incredibly slim window. To put it in perspective.. a company with say, 400 computers, has to upgrade computers that take on average around 2 to 3 hours each to complete, depending on how slow they are, and you are talking even at 2 hours.. 800 hours of upgrades. That's 20 straight weeks of work. And of course, no one will be upgrading for 5 straight months. Multiply that times 3 at least.. and so you have a VERY tight schedule to upgrade your entire company to Windows 10, before the deadline of July of 2017 hits.

For home.. it's a painful inconvenience. For a business, it's a hot mess.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapTheGinkels

My computer hard drive died because of windows 10. It's brand new. And it tells me the hard drive is now busted.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join