It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Barrage of Aftershocks From 5.2 Quake in Southern California- ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Anybody played "Rate the Tremor" ....
We had a swarm of earthquakes in 09 till the big one in April 4, 2010 everytime we got a regular sized one in the office everybody got together and bet a dollar on your estimated Richter number...as usual the boss had the most wins.
edit on 10-6-2016 by manuelram16 because: correct

edit on 10-6-2016 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Maybe this:

We find that VT seismicity is usually the earliest reported seismic precursor for eruptions at volcanoes that have been dormant for decades or more, and precedes eruptions of all magma types from basaltic to rhyolitic and all explosivities from VEI 0 to ultraplinian VEI 6 at such previously long-dormant volcanoes.

Surprisingly we find that the VT seismicity originates at distal locations on tectonic fault structures at distances of one or two to tens of kilometers laterally from the site of the eventual eruption, and rarely if ever starts beneath the eruption site itself. The distal VT swarms generally occur at depths almost equal to the horizontal distance of the swarm from the summit out to about 15 km distance, beyond which hypocenter depths level out.

?

Volcano-tectonic earthquakes: A new tool for estimating intrusive volumes and forecasting eruptions

Am I on the right track?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: ObjectZero
On the worst side we'll get a large quake setting off the San Andreas Fault which in turn could set off Yellowstone.

Umm, have you ever looked at a map?

Lol. Ahh, no.

A large quake can shake the planet. It is still unknown what pushes super volcanos to erupt but cracks could be one of the precursors I read. Of course there is Long Valley.

edit on 10-6-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You know, one think I did notice about where the earthquake is and the aftershock pattern is the same area that the Military is doing the secret tests that is interrupting the GPS and other things. I am not saying it is related but it seems to be kinda coincidental that it is happening in the same location at the same time they are testing......

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
You think perhaps Salton Buttes?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

IIRC several prophetic type predictions assert that the Salton Sea will fill with sea water and for quite a ways up the central bread-basket valley of California. . . . IIRC from the gulf East of Baja.

What do you think from your analysis of quake stuff . . . of such a prediction?

Thanks for your work and all that you do share.

I find your insights way above average.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Could the unusual large number of aftershocks be attributed to hydraulic fracking?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krypton
You know, one think I did notice about where the earthquake is and the aftershock pattern is the same area that the Military is doing the secret tests that is interrupting the GPS and other things. I am not saying it is related but it seems to be kinda coincidental that it is happening in the same location at the same time they are testing......

You really should post that info at the GPS NOTAM thread. It is eerily coincidental. It's up to page 6 now.😊👍

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10-6-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm in Los Angeles and felt a small jolt this morning about 1AM.

Any above 5 we can usually notice if still, below that it's hard.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
dp
edit on 103pm3008America/Chicago16CDT08America/Chicago by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

This is the simulation from the L.A. times article on one of my recent quake threads that depicts a major San Andreas fault quake BEGINNING IN THE SALTON SEA AREA:

www.youtube.com...

Here's that earlier thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think the science and art of the simulation are very graphic and moving coupled with your insights and concerns.

I notice watching it the 4th-5th times . . . it looks to me like Anaheim gets shaken for almost 3 full minutes. Am I right? I don't think Disneyland's rides would be a great place to be for those 3 minutes. I wonder what the intensity would be at that location in that scenario? Anyone have an educated guess?
edit on 10/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

edit on 10/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Excellent video! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Could the 5.2 have been a foreshock? If so, how long would it be until a larger one happens? Hours? Days? Or longer?

Lastly, they've been saying that the "really big one" will hit the Cascadia Subduction Zone, not San Andreas. Could one trigger the other?

These may sound like stupid questions but I am curious and have much to learn about quakes.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

I know MOST geologists laugh at, dismiss and deride that something like the San Andreas could light off the Cascadia . . . or a Japan could light off the Cascadia.

HOWEVER, I recall a thread--don't recall which one--where it was DOCUMENTED that well water and other measurements REGISTERED A MAJOR QUAKE on the other side of the Pacific, IIRC.

So, personally, I think that IN SOME SITUATIONS with SOME quakes--DEFINITELY there can be some influence. How much and to what end is a whole 'nother issue, imho.

I haven't reached my Taiwan Geologist yet. I need to try harder to bridge the time zone issues. I know at one time, he dismissed such ideas, too. I wonder if he's changed his tune.

Thanks for your kind reply.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Interesting. I was thinking when I heard about his quake that it's just the start of something bigger. Hope I'm wrong!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Interesting. I was thinking when I heard about his quake that it's just the start of something bigger. Hope I'm wrong!

Yeah that's what I thought as well. Also,wondered what would the influence then be on the Cascadia zone, if any(apparently none as of yet), and if it was larger or may have a larger one on the way.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Here is something interesting I found whilst poking around a bit more regarding this topic:

"Large earthquakes occurred only at 6-hour intervals coinciding with extremes in the ocean and earth tides;"

In their paper, Filson et al. (1973) reported that the caldera collapses, as expressed by the largest earthquakes, occurred when the volcano was under maximum horizontal tension and vertical compression due to the Earth body tide, and when the volcano was under maximum horizontal compression and vertical tension (effects due to ocean tide loading were not included in their analysis).

Earthquakes corresponding with both earth solid body and sea tides.

Volcanology’s accumulated records of monitoring and observations contain several instances of short-lived and transient episodes when eruptive activity or seismic events appeared to respond to tidal forcing.

Volcano Statistics Casebook: Tentative evidence from two real-time analyses for an Earth tide influence on volcano-seismic events

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Yes. That is it.

crappie, jaded and ketsuko get an A for effort. This is what ATS is supposed to be about. Collaboration in learning and discussion. Not drive by posting.

Bravo.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is indeed what makes ats great and hopefully no major quake happens!!
Has this pattern as rare as it is been recorded before?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Yeah that's what I thought as well. Also,wondered what would the influence then be on the Cascadia zone, if any(apparently none as of yet), and if it was larger or may have a larger one on the way.

Good question. I am far from an expert in that regard, and even the experts will state they can't really know for certain, in some cases. More a gut feeling than anything else. Al of the increased quake activity, and the state seems overdue for a really big one. Hope we are wrong!!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I missed your thread, I live in Santa Monica and I felt the main jolt and then with all the aftershocks it was a strange feeling. Nice thread and sorry for the late reply

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join