It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New secrets discovered at Petra

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Using satellite photos and drones a new structure has been found near the famous facade build by the Nabateans.

Satellite surveys of the city revealed a massive platform, 184ft by 161ft, with an interior platform that was paved with flagstones, lined with columns on one side and with a gigantic staircase descending to the east. A smaller structure, 28ft by 28ft, topped the interior platform and opened to the staircase. Pottery found near the structure suggests the structure could be more than 2,150 years old.

Petra discovery
Hopefully more will be found in time..

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Good stuff... i was just looking at this article on National Geographic

Looks like stairs leading up to the plateau at the bottom of the pic

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Wonderful news to behold. thanks for sharing the news and i plan to keep and eye on what other info they come with in the coming weeks. The thing that makes me happy is the use of drones, so many people frown at drones but they really do have some great uses when used for finding stuff like this and not peeping in my room.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I am constantly amazed at cities or settlements that once flourished and was bubbling with life is today a waste land, or drowned in water, makes me think of the impermanence of our civilizations past and present.
Btw I cannot help but draw comparisons to the 12th dyn and Ramses monuments of building inside of cliffs.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

I am constantly amazed at cities or settlements that once flourished and was bubbling with life is today a waste land, or drowned in water, makes me think of the impermanence of our civilizations past and present.
Btw I cannot help but draw comparisons to the 12th dyn and Ramses monuments of building inside of cliffs.

Good poem about it:
Ozymandias

Ramesses II was sometimes referred to by that name.

Harte

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Powerful thanks for that..

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Some video on the story.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This part of the article was interesting:

Like other Semitic cultures of the day, the Nabateans used an indirect, “aniconic” style to indirectly represent their divinities: carved blocks, stelae and niches. Sometimes there will be “an empty niche, just a carving in the wall, which the empty space itself can be representative or they would’ve had portable images”, Tuttle said.

Gives a new perspective on the old architectural "styles".

join