It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Possible ? Obama to Hang onto the Presidency

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
a reply to: mazzroth
There is no process whereby President Obama can serve as President (or Vice President for that matter) beyond January 20, 2017.

None. At. All.

0bama could declare a national emergency, suspend the Constitution, disband Congress, assume their authority, and impeach the SCOTUS.

All legal.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce;

Made up be people who did not want Obama to be President in the first place.

No , realized by people all across the country during his administration . Although , some did try to warn us.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I think if that was attempted, the Joint Chiefs of Staff would remove him.

That is part of why there is such a large military presence during the inauguration. To ensure the peaceful transition of power.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I don't think Obama will or can stay in his presidency.

People would say it was a setup to vote and make a huge riot over it,, understandable.

On the flip side, if he did stay in office he/joint chefs would need a new set of rules on how long a president can stay in office?, that would take a very long time, thus better to make someone elce have the position than lots of undecided debating on it.

Just my view.
edit on 10-6-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

No. Not in our country. If anything someonelse would assume it temp.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Given all the talk?????

this is what happens when you filter your news outlets to conservative bloggers.

Obama has not even remotely joked about a hint of breaking the law and claiming some monarchy 3rd term. Only the same folks who have been drudging (pun for some of you) up anti obama crap for 7 1/2 years now. Same with the left and their fear of Bush jr. Obama wants out of the whitehouse more than some of you Trump supporters do. Would anyone like to place a bet? I'll give you any amount of odds in the world.
edit on 10-6-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The winning VP candidate, or Speaker of the House I would think.

Technically, it'd be as if they had been, God forbid, assassinated at the Inaugural.

The out going Pres. is, by the Constitution, done. I'm sure he'd stick around to help, but he would not be President by law.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

i brought this up in a few thread and got negatve feedback. im convinced that he can continue presidency if the is a "Staet of emergency" that cant allow elctions to continue

i see vioelnce alot of violence brewing up and exepct riots and public fighting between each other if either of the other get close to be ing elcted.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

0bama could declare a national emergency, suspend the Constitution, disband Congress, assume their authority, and impeach the SCO

thats interesting

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Where have I heard this before?

George H. W. Bush will declare martial law and put us all into camps.

Bill Clinton will declare martial law and put us all into camps.

George W. Bush will declare martial law and put us all into camps.

Barack Obama will declare martial law and put us all into camps.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

There is no process whereby President Obama can serve as President (or Vice President for that matter) beyond January 20, 2017.

None. At. All.

0bama could declare a national emergency, suspend the Constitution, disband Congress, assume their authority, and impeach the SCOTUS.

All legal.

The only part of the Constitution that can be suspended is Habeas Corpus as per the suspension clause but, requires the President and Congress although the Courts do not even agree on that. The President can not suspend Congress or the the Courts. In theory he can declare martial law if in a national emergency. such as invasion, causes Congress and the courts and civilian authority in general to be unable to operate. So if nobody else is left he can act.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
Given the amount of talk about Obama not handing over the reigns to the presidency and calling Martial Law, could it be possible that the 2 candidates be found guilty of fraud or criminal activities ?. Such as Hillary being Jailed for the Benghazi incident and/or the Emails Scandal and Trump found guilty of some private business dealings and jailed.

If both GOP and Democrat Candidates are in jail could Obama hang on to the Presidency somehow ? what would the process be ?

I am pretty sure that there are rules that bar three full terms for a presidency but not sure there are any rules that prevent one from serving while in jail.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: Snarl

None. At. All.

All legal.

The only part of the Constitution that can be suspended is Habeas Corpus as per the suspension clause but, requires the President and Congress although the Courts do not even agree on that. The President can not suspend Congress or the the Courts. In theory he can declare martial law if in a national emergency. such as invasion, causes Congress and the courts and civilian authority in general to be unable to operate. So if nobody else is left he can act.

You just need to interpret a bit. The scenario I described was testable material in class I took on Constitutional Law. Isn't 0bama's area of expertise Constitutional Law.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I think if that was attempted, the Joint Chiefs of Staff would remove him.

That is part of why there is such a large military presence during the inauguration. To ensure the peaceful transition of power.

He could probably do it next week if he put his mind to it. I seriously doubt he'd wait until the last minute ... and we're well beyond that already.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

And where did you go to School to 'learn' this 'information' about the Constitution? And did you score points for understanding that 'testable material'? I only ask because your understanding is completely wrong; if you were tested on it, and gave the answer you are asserting here, I would suggest that you failed that test miserably.

Unless the school is one of the anarchist-sovereign citizen-libertarian aligned schools with names like 'Liberty' or 'Patriotic' or 'Trump' (or maybe a home schooling course with materials from one of those 'kind' of institutions?) that are indoctrinating vulnerable people with dangerous misinformation you didn't learn this stuff from school.

I am of course, ignoring the possibility that you are lying about your course on Constitutional Law.

There is NO LEGAL way for President Obama to remain President Obama beyond 20 January 2017. None. It simply cannot happen. There is no provision for cancelling elections, emergency or not; the Feds don't run elections anyway, the States do. American elections have never been "cancelled" for any reason - not even during the Civil War. Presidents cannot just 'suspend the Constitution'. It isn't in their power, executive orders cannot override the Constitution, and nobody would carry out orders given.

NOBODY would support an illegal takeover. Not the military. Not the Congress. Not the Supreme Court. Not the people in the street. It simply will not happen. Remember, the Military takes an oath to protect the Constitution, it is not the personal Army of the President to do with as he/she pleases.

In 2020 we'll have this rumor repeated and then again in 2024. Don't fall for such tripe.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

I love it when one of my posts gets under someone's skin ... especially when we aren't even in disagreement.

I honestly can't remember. It was either Central Texas College or the University of Maryland. And, "No." the answer wasn't summarized ... and I left out the requirement of declaring Martial Law (as MrSpad was good enough to point out).

Now ... bugger off.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
If both GOP and Democrat Candidates are in jail could Obama hang on to the Presidency somehow ? what would the process be ?

Nothing in your constitution actually limits the election to candidates from the two parties.
If both were eliminated before the election, that could be the opportunity for a non-party man.
As for a President-elect landing in jail, my guess is that the existing provisions for an impeached President would cover the situation. Vive-President-elect presumably takes his place.
edit on 11-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Nothing in your constitution actually limits the election to candidates from the two parties.

Correct. The Founding Fathers did not anticipate political parties.

If both were eliminated before the election, that could be the opportunity for a non-party man.

The President and Vice-President are actually elected by a body called the "Electoral College". The various States elect delegates to the "Electoral College" - that is what the actual General Election is about; electing the slate of delegates pledged to one candidate or another. Many, not all, states require, by law, that their delegates vote for the Candidate that they pledged for at the time of their election. There is no Constitutional or Federal law restricting their vote in any way. If an elected Electoral College delegate finds himself pledged to a Candidate that is found to be ineligible after the election but before the EC Vote, then who knows what will happen? It would be an unprecedented event. Probably they can vote for whom ever they chose - party candidate or not.

As for a President-elect landing in jail, my guess is that the existing provisions for an impeached President would cover the situation. Vive-President-elect presumably takes his place.

Essentially, you are correct, but there are some time dependent nuances.

When, exactly is the President-Elect actually the President-Elect and when does the jail-able offense take place?

After the Election but before the Electoral College vote? - a jailed P-E would be rendered ineligible and the E-C could refuse to vote for him.

After the E-C vote but before Congress accepts the E-C vote? Congress would object to the Vote Tally and the Vice-President would become President until the President qualified (which would be never due to his felony).

After Congress accepts but before swearing in? Interesting question this one. Possible Constitutional Crisis. I suspect that they would invoke the 25 amendment (incapacity of President to perform his duties - where 'duties' includes taking the oath of office) and the Vice President would be sworn in instead.

After swearing in? Congress would have to impeach him, or the 25th amendment (section 4) could be invoked as well, I suppose.
edit on 11/6/2016 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Uhhhm...
Whos supposed to be Clintons VP.....

Well thats a conspiracy if anything...

They dont really WANT Hillary to be Pres..
They hold on to the emails..
Release them AFTER election..
Hillary gets trial and found guilty.......

WHO then gets the pres....

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
hubpages.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join