It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ninth Circus rules that concealed carry is not protected by the Constitution.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Appeals court rules no constitutional right to carry concealed guns.

A federal appeals court in San Francisco ruled Thursday that people do not have a Second Amendment right to carry concealed weapons in public, in a sweeping decision likely to be challenged by gun-rights advocates.

An 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued the 7-4 ruling, upholding a state law requiring applicants to show "good cause," such as a fear of personal safety, to carry a concealed firearm.

The judges, further, definitively dismissed the argument that a right to carry a concealed weapon was contained in the Second Amendment.

"We hold that the Second Amendment does not preserve or protect a right of a member of the general public to carry concealed firearms in public," Judge William Fletcher wrote in the majority opinion.

If challenged, it could set up a Supreme Court battle.

Critics have long charged that the 9th Circuit has a history of liberal-leaning decisions. Thursday's ruling overturns a 2014 ruling by a smaller panel, and resulted from a case in which a sheriff in San Diego County required applicants to show supporting documents, such as restraining orders against attackers, in order to get a permit.

Celebrities who fear for their safety and those who routinely carry large amounts of cash were often given permits.

Judge Consuelo M. Callahan, dissenting in Thursday's ruling, said the restrictions were tantamount to an infringement of the Second Amendment rights of Americans.

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?

And what about the part that says "keep and bear"?

It would be laughable if it wasnt so unbelievable.

According to the Ninth Circus, your right to defend yourself stops at your front door.

In the not so distant future, I think that court rulings with regards to interpretation of the Constitution will be completely ignored.

But until that time, everyone needs to do their part.

Liberty minded people need to serve on juries and nullify these laws.

edit on 9-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Since they ignore my US Constitution...I will continue to ignore their un-constitutional laws.

As well as permits since they only use it to put peopleon gun confiscation lists.

Only idiots abide by their system...

Nice find...just heard it on the radio news.
:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Between the police and the gangs, I'd say everyone in California has good cause to fear for their personal safety.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
OK, open carry. That solves the concealed point.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Why does the prog left want to demolish and twist the 1st and 2nd amendments and throw in the BS bathroom and snowflake powder?

Control speech and disarm the people and what do ya got?

Easy pickins.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

O there will still be guns in a leftist paradise pointed at your back as you work in the fields for a bowl of rice a day.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have been to many states here in the U.S. and plan to visit many more.
Kalifornia is not one of them. I'd love to visit the ocean, see the sights, etc, but the asinine laws on guns/self defense make it one place I will never waste my money on. Sanctuary cities for illegals with multiple felonies, but your own citizens just have to take their chances. And, you can bet the same folks who are taking your gun rights are protected by armed security 24/7.
It just YOUR life that's not important.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
An armed society, is a polite society.

The RIGHT to self protection is tantamount to a free people remaining free. This election could NOT be more important for the future of the United States. HRC can't even bring herself to ADMIT there is a Second Amendment.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Suprem courts already ruled on this. And on those grounds can dismiss it with prejudice.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Told my family in CA about this and they are pissed! My dad was just getting all his paperwork organized to apply for his CCW. But since he's not important enough he doesn't have "good cause."

Hopefully this is overturned or even voted on in November elections.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
What's funny is just google the word "bear".. The first meaning it shows is "carry"... But this is in California so not surprising.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Since the Ninth Circus(good one) pertains to my area(ID), wonder if they are going to try to overturn my state's recent ruling on concealed carry. I can see the political circus harping about it. Rather than overturning the state's ban on marijuana, in which medical can help a lot of people.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is good for those of us who want the option to be safe by staying away from gun nuts. This way if I go somewhere and see people carrying I have the option to leave. With concealed carry my right to stay away from crazy people is taken away, and my right to be safe is far more important to me than your "right" to feel tough.

When I was a kid no one ever carried guns anywhere here except to go hunting and we were survived just fine.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
When I was a kid no one ever carried guns anywhere here except to go hunting and we were survived just fine.

How do you know that?

All my friends with conceal carry permits never advertise that they carry. How could you possibly know if you were or are ever around armed individuals concealing their weapons?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

This is good for those of us who want the option to be safe by staying away from gun nuts. This way if I go somewhere and see people carrying I have the option to leave. With concealed carry my right to stay away from crazy people is taken away, and my right to be safe is far more important to me than your "right" to feel tough.

I appreciate your concern. Here in Texas we have several hundred thousand Concealed Carriers and there are daily mass shootings and blood in the streets,,,,,,,,,,, oh wait..

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You have a shockingly atrocious understanding of the issue.

"Feelings" don't play into this.

The right to bear arms is meant to protect any individual person against others and/or the government.

Why do liberals always throw their feelings into it, then double down with stupidity by suggesting their feelings are most important?

The whole point of the constitution is so we don't see snowflakes throwing nonsense like "anyone carrying a gun wants to be tough" into it.
edit on 9-6-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
San Francisco court, and a 7-4 decision. Nothing to see here.

And the courts are going to have to choose between OPEN CARRY or CONCEALED CARRY being legal in public.

Or else it's going to be confined to Private Property use, which was also NOT stated in the Constitution.

So this will be fought back and forth till the cows come home, back and forth for years to come.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
People say it's the liberals who whine, but Jesus f*cking Christ the other side is just as bad.

The constitution gives you a right to keep and bear (meaning "carry") arms, it does not give you a right to concealed carry.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain
San Francisco court, and a 7-4 decision. Nothing to see here.

And the courts are going to have to choose between OPEN CARRY or CONCEALED CARRY being legal in public.

Or else it's going to be confined to Private Property use, which was also NOT stated in the Constitution.

So this will be fought back and forth till the cows come home, back and forth for years to come.

You need rode fine which court as open carry is already illegal. This decision has effectively created a situation where no one can carry outside their home in any fashion.

The real travesty here is that a contstitutional right has been pared down town an individual Sherriff's discretion. Please, name me one other *RIGHT* where this is acceptable?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
People say it's the liberals who whine, but Jesus f*cking Christ the other side is just as bad.

Gee. I thought Christ was celibate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join