It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US unemployed have quit looking for jobs at a 'frightening' level: Survey

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

it doesn't help when the cheaper the housing is, the more drafts you can find in the winter time, which leads to insane electric bills. if you live where the jobs are at, like in the larger cities, you end up with insane rent, if you opt to live in the smaller less populated areas, there's less jobs and you end up burning up the money commuting to work anyways.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

i dont care what they say I'm in the industry i know what it looks like.

we do work in new jersey and pennsylvania, we are literally the only people in our area that can refinish hardwood floors to the degree that we do, were known as the best in town and we still dont stay busy.

we have working relationships with almost every shop within an hours range and im trying to get into a different trade with more demand

i moved to california and got sick of working for 14 an hour because they dont have to pay white people to work when they can pay a mexican half the wage

same thing in florida

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It's absolute BS. The US Department of Labor and Statistics says 2.45 million jobs were created in 2015, and 45% of them were either part time only or low end service sector / food service. But it is a favorite talking point of many to quote jobs from one little area, and claim that the picture is rosy. It is not. In fact, by all reasonable metrics, we are actually in the second month of a brand new recession. The news won't report on it because it is political football season and because the Obama administration changed the rules (again), just like the Sith lord who preceded him.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Have you ever thought of applying for places like Magpul? What about the oil industry? Aviation industry requires machinists and fabricators.

Same with the green energy sector. How about robotics? Machinists make a lot of money in the robotics industry.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

im starting a machinist job monday

im doing a week trial with the company, they really need people but i told them whats going on so we agreed to do a week to see if i like the work and want to make the change

im also signed up for engineering classes for engineering and manufacturing and if i work for them they will work with my schedule
edit on 6/9/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what's the starting wage?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

13.50, which is a big pay cut for me but im looking at long term not short term potential

i measure everything in business by its potential not its short term gain

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

well, my husband worked in shops in texas, new york, indiana, and virginia...
he started out as an apprentice working for what was sealright in the day, now it has some japanese name. his highest salary was from jobs he had in texas during it's oil boom that fizzled in the reagan years. and he never did make that high of a wage since then. he never made the $24 you are saying exists. not even as a tool and die maker.
I'm not saying that the trade isn't worth going into, at least it will provide you close to a living wage, you might be able to support a family on it....barely. but I'm sorry, I don't believe your $24/hr bit. maybe in some shipyard someplace or something as equally physically demanding.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

where im at they make 20 an hour and the programmers make nearly 30 and thats what ill be doing after school

but i plan on buying my own equipment and getting into high medical on a 5 axes machine
edit on 6/9/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The average wage is 22 an hour.

That is the average.

I don't care if you don't believe me. That's the market research already done by other more qualified than I.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

big corps, or little businesses? my husband usually worked in small non-unionized shops. and, yes, he could program also, he also got stuck quite a bit looking at the blueprints and figuring out just what the customer wanted when he noticed that what they said they wanted just wouldn't work! so you could add altering the design because of the errors in the blueprints.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

almost every business i checked into pays their programmer either close to or more than 30 an hour

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

This right there is fantastically infuriating. His problem is that he's a lazy bum and doesn't want to put in the effort to make his situation better, but it's not his fault? Are you serious?

I think you miss read my post.

I am a veteran, but I am not looking for work. I have tried full retirement on three different occasions, but as a Forensic's Nurse, retirement is not that easy to do, when the need for my services are so great. Crime may not pay, but it costs, it is never ending, and is a good barometer for just how well or poorly our society faring.

I can see were it may look like I was making excuses for my friend's son. However, I am not. The fact that she was feed up with him to the point that she had to take off three days to help him find a job, clearly speaks to the fact that she didn't believe he was trying very hard to find work.

To be fair I don't think he is lazy. I just think that he, like too many young people today, he has no concept of what it takes to make it in this world. He thinks that all he has to do is say he wants something, and the world is supposed to hand it to him. He understand the words work, job, employment, paycheck, and bills, he just don't understand how that plays out in the world he lives in his mind.

Also to be fair, it is not his fault. Everything he is, he was made that way. My friend always wanted her son to have everything she didn't have. She didn't want him to want for anything, so she and her husband worked their entire lives around his happiness, his wants, and his needs. Now that he is grown and out of college, they thought he was just magically going to pick up the gauntlet and run with it. It didn't happen.

Again to be fair, everyone can't stand out, and even if you did stand out, if by the luck of the draw, there where 10 people that already stood out before they got to your application, well, I guess it is just better luck next time.

That is one of the reasons that some businesses are putting such a strong emphasis on apprenticeship and preceptorship. They are hedging their bets. Get cheap labor until you get them skilled or weed them out.

edit on 9-6-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: word edit

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Honestly the real reason why there's so many people out of a job is that expectations are ridiculous, and a life lived working 6 to 7 days a week, or for next to nothing is simply not worth living to most people. Even serfs weren't expected to work that much, and we consider the rulers of such times to be tyrants.

People aren't working because they eventually get frustrated living to work rather than working to live. Honestly if I didn't have family I'd off myself today just to escape this world and it's ridiculous expectations.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
OMG.

There are TONS of jobs out there.

If you have the ability to quit looking for a job then you have the ability to go to a community college and learn a trade skill. Often these classes are very affordable, and the pay is a livable wage.

But trades are loser jobs according to the media.

Tons of jobs requiring certifications. If only companies can survive the working and learning condition. There wouldn't be so much issue unlike the past. What they do now is tell you to go get college or Uni education which is downright impossible if your poor. It cost too much and very time consuming. Some of the stuff you learn in College or Uni is not exactly necessary for some of the jobs you are going to do. Which is another waste of time and money. Education is not free, this is how society starts falling apart. Reason why some EU countries restarted free Education all over again.
edit on 9-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove
I hear you PuppyLove. I was young once too. I fell victim to the consumerism trap of of society, and worked for years to pay for crap that I couldn't remember buying, paying to store stuff I wasn't using and didn't need, or was long ago buried in a land field somewhere.

Down sizing was much easier than I thought it would be. Realizing that there was a huge divide between what I needed versus what I wanted. Giving up the dust and space collectors, and the just plain stuff, has brought contentment into my life and saved me a whole lot of money. Now my life is more about enjoying the simple life, and working for those that need me, instead of for stuff for the land field.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I just want to make an observation. I've been out of work for eleven months now as my position was eliminated after 25+ plus years. I was in an IT position in an insurance company. I got a year severance and not currently receiving unenployment benefits. I've applied to @80 positions which have resulted in only a few interviews. I'm not demanding a huge salary. The thing I noticed is that there is an age bias out there. I'm 56 which I believe works against me. I was never a high level executive because I never played political games or kissed ass. I've also registered with multiple recruiters to no avail. Also, what do people do for money when they quit looking for work and their unemployment runs out?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

You know all those billions of dollars flowing to cartels every year

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not what I would exactly classify as a useless degree but the way that the sector has been performing lately welding may be end up paying much better.

Software engineering won't be that highly paid in the future. If you can get a job right now it's fantastic (that's a big if, there are a lot of jobs, but there's also a lot of picky employers and/or incompetent applicant) but salaries are disproportionate with the rest of the world and a correction is incoming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join