It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tide Goes out And The Tide Came In You Can't Explain That: My Very Own Experience.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Spider879

Born and raised in Idalou, Texas

I'd a Lou, but I lost'er.
To a welder name of Foster.

edit on 8-6-2016 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

You should have just yelled "OH SH!T TSUNAMI!!!" and turned and ran as fast as possible.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

LOL

Ya know. It's not the fact that they didn't know the answer to those questions which is the real issue here.

There are a million simple answers to things that most people probably don't know because they just never bothered to think about it or it never came up for some reason.

The real issue is that rather than just not knowing the actual answer, they go ahead and accept, It must be God then.

Because that's not an answer. That's a superstition. That's totally different than just not knowing something. I'm sure there are plenty of simply things I don't know right off hand how it works, but I also don't just assume that it therefore must be Magic!! Because that's just crazy.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Since you were on science and all, you should have asked them,...

What is the closest star to earth.

Hint, NASA even got it wrong lmao.
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Of the three stars in the system, the dimmest - called Proxima Centauri - is actually the nearest star to the Earth.

edit on 9-6-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Since you were on science and all, you should have asked them,...

What is the closest star to earth.

Hint, NASA even got it wrong lmao.
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Of the three stars in the system, the dimmest - called Proxima Centauri - is actually the nearest star to the Earth.

My brain would have exploded if they answered, there is only one sun and it circles the flat earth which was created 6kyrs ago and is the center of all things..

Thanks for the link something I didn't know a star system not a star..

edit on 9-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

If I was thinking instead of getting upset I'd have shown them this.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

That's because you can't see the Sun.It's what you see with.😃

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Just my take, rather than getting mad or upset with their lack of knowledge and ignorance, remind yourself that humanity for many millenia has known very little of the details regarding the mechanics of, well, anything really. Edit: I now see you replied in this thread acknowledging that the situation may have been better handled if you hadn't gotten upset. Kudos!

In this day and age, and I'm guilty of this too at times, we sometimes exhibit intellectual snobbery. I'd say it'll make you happiest in situations lile this to simply recognize their lack of understanding, and help them learn if it seems appropriate.

I do find it a bit odd that some of these younger folks in an industrialized society, where basic knowledge of these processes and their mechanics are fairly well known, seem to have missed the memo.

This thread also makes me think of some civilizations within humanity that are still very tribal such as amazon tribes, Australian aboriginals, areas in Africa, etc. Many of them know only know so much of the more science based discoveries of the last millenium. Doesn't make them bad or stupid though, does it? Nope.

However, many of these tribes and the ancients were well aware of celestial mechanics to a degree and some mathematics. So I guess from that take, it's a little unnerving that some younger persons are unaware of these very old pieces of knowledge, while being keenly aware of social media and the latest Facebook posts. Then again, I think it was only a select few of the ancients that were more aware and knowledgeable. The rest were mostly social creatures I'd imagine, which would make sense as that would explain the constant usage of social media by some.

Oh well, at least you tried to help them understand more. You probably brightened at least one of them and that is special.

edit on 9-6-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

Point taken Onegoal, it's just that they are young with all this info and technology at their finger tips, where as I had to go to the library and checkout heavy encyclopedias.
edit on 9-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The most obvious answer is that it's the new in thing.

To be an idiot, that is, take all the knowledge of the past generation(s) and throw it out. Then approach everything like it's some big mystery or knowledge yet to be gained.

The prevalence of flat earth is a perfect example of this.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
And yet some people have phds have studied science and still know it is god that makes the sky blue, drives the tides, they probably feel sorry for your lack of education.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Well, God invented the moon and gravity, so these millenial blockheads got you there

It's annoying when adults don't have a basic understanding of the world around them.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
SeaWorthy

And yet some people have phds have studied science and still know it is god that makes the sky blue, drives the tides, they probably feel sorry for your lack of education

NarcolepticBuddha

Well, God invented the moon and gravity, so these millenial blockheads got you there It's annoying when adults don't have a basic understanding of the world around them.

Guys that's not the argument they were making, they really had no idea of the effects or gravity , if their point was..well some super intellect set everything in motion including the laws of physics i'd be inclined to let them alone with their beliefs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join