It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinach Helps Protect Eyes from Macular Degeneration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
GreenMedinfo
Research Empowered

Posted on:
Tuesday, May 17th 2016 at 6:45 pm

Written By: Case Adams, Naturopath
Required notice:
"© [17 May 2016] GreenMedInfo LLC. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of GreenMedInfo LLC. Want to learn more from GreenMedInfo? Sign up for the newsletter here www.greenmedinfo.com..."

Article link:
www.greenmedinfo.com...
Page 2:
www.greenmedinfo.com...

Most of us will have macular degeneration as we age. But we can slow this process and even prevent it with certain dietary strategies. Learn how spinach and other foods and supplements can prevent the leading cause of blindness. [bold in original]
The macula in the center of the retina of our eyes can easily become damaged when it is unprotected. The macula can be damaged by looking into the sun or with prolonged bright light exposure. But the risk of this type of damage - or age-related macular degeneration - is decreased when the macula is protected by its own macular pigment.
. . .
The researchers found that the eyesight of the subjects was improved – measured as visual acuity. They also found their macular pigment densities were significantly increased. These improvements were seen at both one month and two months after the spinach regimen began. They confirmed the relationship between the lutein by seeing increased blood levels of lutein among the subjects.
. . .

I know one Ophthalmologist told me that lutein supplements had been shown to not be that effective toward preventing Macular Degeneration.
These studies appear to refute that conclusively.
My Dad had it, so it is a concern of mine. He was virtually blind by his death at 92.
My step-dad's Father's eyes were still great at age 80. His Doc said it was because he ALWAYS wore a hat in the sun.
The information on page 2 about the mixed supplements sounds important.
I'm not crystal clear about how important meso-zeaxanthin is compared to the others. However, they evidently tend to occur in plants together--at least in some plants, as I understand it. Maybe some experts hereon can clarify that for us.
I think this is an excellent article that is well worth reading at their site for anyone who's past 45 or cares about anyone past 45.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

It also helps to fight against night blindness and Vitamin A deficiency. Sadly, I know this first hand. All deep green leafy veggies do.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Soooooo, have you been able to tell the difference in the help it has given you? . . . i.e. is it subjectively and/or objectively noticeable? Has your Doc verified the benefit?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
According to years of research in the lab with AMD patients :

The AREDS (Vitamins C, E, A, zinc and copper) formula did not prevent AMD and was not effective in people with early AMD. But for those with intermediate AMD, it slowed the progression by 25% and slowed the vision loss by 19%. This is a high dose vitamin, so you should only take it if your doctor recommends it. You should also inform all your doctors of every supplement or herbal remedy you use.

So, I doubt spinach prevents macular degeneration, but may slow its progression.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Thanks for your informative contribution.

Perhaps it's a battle of the studies?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Yes, indeedy.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Would you be willing to elaborate on the difference such made in your vision and daily life, please?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Spinach contains many nutrients shown in studies to be effective in reducing 'wet' macular degeneration where capillaries have ruptured and are 'bleeding' but 'dry' macular degeneration has not shown such a simple solution.

Most treatments for wet macular degeneration work by suppressing a protein called vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). This protein promotes capillary growth within the macula but the new vessels are weak and can rupture easily.

It has been recommended in several studies that the following daily doses of these nutrients can slow macular degeneration: zinc 80 mg, copper 2 mg, vitamin E 400 IU, vitamin C 500 mg, lutein 10 mg and zeaxanthin 2 mg.

Spinach and most dark green leaf foods, like Silverbeet, Kale and Watercress are good natural sources of these and other nutrients (healthier and cheaper than supplements). A handful of nuts a week and oily fish (a source of Omega 3) will also help slow down damage.

Additionally, having high blood sugars for extended periods is known to cause capillaries to rupture, so if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, keep your sugars under control. Choosing low glycemic index foods (those that release their energy slowly) in preference of sugar laden foods is important in the fight against macular degeneration.

Also, it has now been recognized that genetic factors strongly affect the likelihood of developing macular degeneration. Unfortunately it appears that blindness due to macular degeneration seems to run in all the males my family so I am acutely aware that I must take positive action to save my sight.

There is a simple test that you can use to indicate if you 'may' have macular degeneration. It is called an Amsler grid which can show irregularities in vision. I could paste one in to this post but if you google it, there are many examples online.

If you do have issues, then there is all sorts of help to prevent blindness. You must, however, seek medical advice if there are symptoms. There are treatments that are effective and it'd be a shame to miss your input on ATS!

edit on 9/6/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
THANKS TONS FOR YOUR VITAL INFORMATION.

Will try and find a grid. My last VA eye exam a few months ago was fine on such scores.

THANKS BIG.

originally posted by: chr0naut

Spinach contains many nutrients shown in studies to be effective in reducing 'wet' macular degeneration where capillaries have ruptured and are 'bleeding' but 'dry' macular degeneration has not shown such a simple solution.

Most treatments for wet macular degeneration work by suppressing a protein called vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). This protein promotes capillary growth within the macula but the new vessels are weak and can rupture easily.

It has been recommended in several studies that the following daily doses of these nutrients can slow macular degeneration: zinc 80 mg, copper 2 mg, vitamin E 400 IU, vitamin C 500 mg, lutein 10 mg and zeaxanthin 2 mg.

Spinach and most dark green leaf foods, like Silverbeet, Kale and Watercress are good natural sources of these and other nutrients (healthier and cheaper than supplements). A handful of nuts a week and oily fish (a source of Omega 3) will also help slow down damage.

Additionally, having high blood sugars for extended periods is known to cause capillaries to rupture, so if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, keep your sugars under control. Choosing low glycemic index foods (those that release their energy slowly) in preference of sugar laden foods is important in the fight against macular degeneration.

Also, it has now been recognized that genetic factors strongly affect the likelihood of developing macular degeneration. Unfortunately it appears that blindness due to macular degeneration seems to run in all the males my family so I am acutely aware that I must take positive action to save my sight.

There is a simple test that you can use to indicate if you 'may' have macular degeneration. It is called an Amsler grid which can show irregularities in vision. I could paste one in to this post but if you google it, there are many examples online.

If you do have issues, then there is all sorts of help to prevent blindness. You must, however, seek medical advice if there are symptoms. There are treatments that are effective and it'd be a shame to miss your input on ATS!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I did.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Dry Vitamin A helps with vision as well. DRY form absorbs differently and gets to where it needs to.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Cook the spinach well so the negative effects fall apart in it.

The carotines aren't effected too badly if you use sone of the liquid from the spinach.

You have to consider all the properties of foods and consider these were short term tests, over a long term consumption of spinach can cause problems with the thyroid and kidney and gall stones unless cooked well. They used frozen spinach for their tests in the link, which means they cooked it and frozen spinach is blanched pretty well too. If you have plenty of the enzyme present in the body that breaks down oxylates, you can eat it without too much risk of kidney oxylate stones. Only about a third of people have high amounts. Everything I said also applies to Kale.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i agreeeeeeeeeeee

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Spinach contains antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin in plentiful which protect the eye from cataracts and age related macular degeneration (ARMD). Also its contain vitamin a which is very help to maintain healthy eyes.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I know one Ophthalmologist told me that lutein supplements had been shown to not be that effective toward preventing Macular Degeneration.

A lot of the studies they carry out on supplements use synthetic compounds which are not the same as natural compounds, marigold has lutein in and has been found to be successful for macular degeneration for some people but the quickest way of repairing this disease is Hydrogen peroxide 5 drops of 35% in 8 ounces of pure water 3 x a day A friend of mine reversed his macular degeneration in 3-4 weeks, also another way of repairing it is Natural Vitamin E and Iodine

here is a study on marigold petals and lutein
www.omicsonline.org... 54.pdf

and there is also a good amount of 4 of the vitamin Es in marigold petals

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

For the pressure range (20-40 MPa) and temperature range (30-70 °C), 30 MPa/70 °C gave the highest yield of oleoresin (58.9 g kg(-1) ). The dominant fatty acids of marigold flower oleoresin were linoleic acid (>26.41%), palmitic acid (>24.22%) and oleinic acid (>20.12%). Significant effects of the extraction pressure and temperature on the antioxidant activity were observed (P < 0.05). Lutein esters, α-tocopherol, β-tocopherol, γ-tocopherol and δ-tocopherol were the dominant antioxidant compounds in the extracts.

Nature works in unison it rarely works as a single extract.

new topics

top topics

join