It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KING: Brock Turner, Cory Batey show how race affects sentencing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

Corey Batey!!!

When Cory Batey was a 19-year-old standout football player at Vanderbilt, he raped an unconscious woman. The ample evidence, including security cameras showing the unconscious woman being carried into a dorm room and cellphone photos and videos of the sexual assault, was clear — Cory Batey sexually assaulted the woman. In April, a jury found Batey guilty of three felony counts including aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.

He was immediately remanded into custody and must serve a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 to 25 years in prison.

Contrast with...

Brock Turner!!!

That's what makes the case of Brock Turner, a 19-year-old standout swimmer at Stanford who raped an unconscious woman, all the more infuriating. As was the case with Batey, ample evidence existed that Turner was guilty. Eyewitnesses actually caught him in the act as he sexually assaulted an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. A jury agreed and Turner was found guilty of multiple felony rape charges. Turner, though, was given a six-month jail sentence and told he could be released on good behavior in as little as three months. He won't even go to an actual prison, but will remain in the local jail during that time.

Let's deal with the facts and not the opinionated op ed.

I couldn't find another source that compared the two cases except this NYDL article.

Can anyone say "white privilege"?

Or is something else going on here before someone accuses me of race baiting???

For the record, I think both of them should have got harsher sentences including castration.

Rape = lose ya balls, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I'm assuming you already have but, if you really really want to get angry, read his father's letter. I was so furious by the time I finished reading it...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It does seem like one person is getting the shaft. I guess the only reason for a harsher sentence would be a prior criminal record. Also it might depend on the judge as they all seem to sentence differently.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

www.nydailynews.com...

Or this guy that didn't even do anything and had his life ruined.
I think it is more about money and being able to get good legal representation than race tho.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I only have a very limited knowledge of these two cases, but it seems the difference in sentencing mostly has to do with the way the different states define rape laws.

Batey had his trial in Tennessee and appears that they have harsher interpretations of what constitutes rape.
www.newschannel5.com...

Turner was in California which has laws written in a manner that he wasn't charged with rape, but sexual assault.
nymag.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
www.nydailynews.com...

Corey Batey!!!

When Cory Batey was a 19-year-old standout football player at Vanderbilt, he raped an unconscious woman. The ample evidence, including security cameras showing the unconscious woman being carried into a dorm room and cellphone photos and videos of the sexual assault, was clear — Cory Batey sexually assaulted the woman. In April, a jury found Batey guilty of three felony counts including aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.

He was immediately remanded into custody and must serve a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 to 25 years in prison.

Contrast with...

Brock Turner!!!

That's what makes the case of Brock Turner, a 19-year-old standout swimmer at Stanford who raped an unconscious woman, all the more infuriating. As was the case with Batey, ample evidence existed that Turner was guilty. Eyewitnesses actually caught him in the act as he sexually assaulted an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. A jury agreed and Turner was found guilty of multiple felony rape charges. Turner, though, was given a six-month jail sentence and told he could be released on good behavior in as little as three months. He won't even go to an actual prison, but will remain in the local jail during that time.

Let's deal with the facts and not the opinionated op ed.

I couldn't find another source that compared the two cases except this NYDL article.

Can anyone say "white privilege"?

Or is something else going on here before someone accuses me of race baiting???

For the record, I think both of them should have got harsher sentences including castration.

Rape = lose ya balls, in my opinion.

I'm not sure if white privledge is the best discription...

The real reason imho, is most of these old judges are white. So they have children who closely resemble young White offenders.

When they see people like Brock, they think..

"But for a couple bad decisions, that could be my kid.."

So they go easy on them..

With young black kids there is not the same psycological/subconscious comparison..

The only really, truly racial aspect might come from the whole

"It's worse if you sleep with or are raped by a black guy than if it were a white guy."

Like the girl is ruined afterward.....

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
so if race makes a difference in legal matters. Wouldn't that mean that a white person wouldn't get a fair hearing under a Hispanic judge?

Yet somehow, saying the whites don't give blacks a fair chance in a legal system, is somehow not only racist, but that comment shows that you are not a racist.

Trump says has the same theory, he's hateful and racist.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
so if race makes a difference in legal matters. Wouldn't that mean that a white person wouldn't get a fair hearing under a Hispanic judge?

Yet somehow, saying the whites don't give blacks a fair chance in a legal system, is somehow not only racist, but that comment shows that you are not a racist.

Trump says has the same theory, he's hateful and racist.

That's the point is it should not make a difference... Judges should be giving out consistent rulings.

I will bet money that no black rapist in the history of America has gotten 6 months in county jail... Never ever...

I'll also bet no judge has ever publicly sympathized with a black rapist or murder as with this or the Dillion roof case.

By your logic no republican can judge a democrat, no conservative a liberal, no athiest a religious person, no black a white, exc.. Which is insane and would destroy the system..

top topics

join