It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School calls police to stop 7-year-old kid from sharing Bible verses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Garbage like this is why I'm concerned about putting my son back in the public school system (he's been homeschooled for the last four years due to his ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome...but we didn't have the diagnoses back then to understand how to work with him and school).

And I'm not religious in any sense of the word (even though some claim that atheism is a religion), but I think that tactics like these, where law enforcement gets involved, are absolutely overblown and out of control on the school's behalf. What happened to communicating with parents through teachers and school administrators? What happened to the ability for schools to handle their own discipline when rules were broken?

Where did this "need" to involve LAW enforcement arise when it is simply POLICY that is being ignored (assuming that a policy even existed concerning this in the district). This is just utter nonsense, and to put a 7-year-old through that it absolutely unwarranted.

I'd be raising holy hell (pun intended) if this were my child.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Consider the source of this story and ask if it is the whole story or if what is being told is the truth.

I have my doubts.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

What were the parents thinking putting such messages in the lunchbox? Surely they knew it would cause an incident.

I'm not sure it matters but it does seem that this school does not understand what "separation of church and state" means.

Can we ban all fiction from schools as well? I don't want kids reading verses from Dr Seuss books in the classroom. It might hurt someone's fee-fees

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

well it did say this in the article

has gained attention from his friends at school with the encouraging notes containing Bible verses that his mother packed alongside his lunch. His friends requested for their own Bible verses so the boy's mother made more copies for him to give out at school.

So his mother like any good parent attempted to instill a positive attitude in her child with notes and Bible verses. Would they be screaming as loudly if the child had a Dawkins quote in the lunchbox?. I can't respond about the child mothers motivation - who knows?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
Mountain out of a molehill. The school only needed to ask the mother not to send them in the lunch. I'm all for freedom of religion, but keep it to yourself.

It's possible they did and the parents did not comply.

This sounds like there is a "More to the Story".

edit on 9-6-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

any business of the school's what she puts in his lunch for him

I agree; however years ago the teachers as "educators & enforcers of the propaganda of the State" took it upon themselves through "duty of care" that children wouldn't go hungry - so what started out as looking in a lunch box to make sure there
was food to begin with, turned into an inspection of perhaps for nutritional value. This Rockeffeler model of "schooling" produces compliant robots for the factories. Teachers aren't allowed to think for themselves - they worry over lawsuits or career derailment.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Great, more fodder for the Christian Industrial Martyr Complex.

Even if this is true they technically did nothing wrong.

I agree and I even said in my OP that I often spar with Christians. I take it that you think its a good idea to bring the police in if a child has bible verses in the lunch box other wise how do you project this into a Christian Industrial Martyr Complex (whatever that means)?

edit on 9-6-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: s

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

“However, when one little girl said ‘teacher — this is the most beautiful story I’ve ever seen,’ ‘separation of church and state’ was the response, and the notes were banned from lunchtime distribution,” the Liberty Counsel said. “C was told that the school gate was the only location at which he could give the Bible verses to his friends, and only after the bell rang.”

The group said Ms. Zavala and her son complied with the order and started handing out the verses after school at the gate in late April. The activity became increasingly popular, with at least 15 students showing up every day. On May 9, Principal Melanie Pagliaro reportedly approached C’s father, Jaime Zavala, and demanded he and the boy move completely off school property and onto the public sidewalk. The family immediately complied, the Liberty Counsel said.

Later that day, a Los Angeles Deputy Sheriff reportedly arrived at the Zavalas’ home to tell the boy to stop sharing the notes, because “someone might be offended,” the Liberty Counsel said. It was then that the family decided to seek legal help.

www.washingtontimes.com...

It wasn't just bible verses, it grew into being verses plus biblical stories being passed around.
and, it ended with mom, and dad being on the scene also... a family outreach of sorts it sounds like.

it seems that the school helped intensify this by telling the kid he'd have to wait till after school to pass out the verses/stories. but it also seems to me that the parents might have been using their kid, possibly to create a conflict with the school so that all the little christians could tell how persecuted they are.
so, little persecuted christians, would you tolerate the school your kids are going to allowing kids to pass out information about birth control? how about wiccan candle magic spells? or Islamic scriptures?

and, I would like to know what stories were being shared since some of the stories in the bible just aren't appropriate material for little 7 year olds!
edit on 9-6-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Every idea (poetic or philosophical or doctrinal or etc) by anyone to some degree or another, is religious.

This is the subtle context that everyone seems to be missing. Its Orwellian thought control. Tomorrow it will be a teacher castigating a lunchbox carrying "spooky action at a distance" as opposed to "super string theory" or "controlled explosion caused the demise of the Twin Towers". Censorship and main stream thinking -

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

So true - what few realize is that the Fasces stands above the US Speaker of the House (House of Reps)
Hmm a republic with allusions of democracy, I think not

en.wikipedia.org...

Fasces (/ˈfæsiːz/, (Italian: Fasci, Latin pronunciation: [ˈfa.skeːs], a plurale tantum, from the Latin word fascis, meaning "bundle")[1] is a bound bundle of wooden rods, sometimes including an axe with its blade emerging. The fasces had its origin in the Etruscan civilization, and was passed on to ancient Rome, where it symbolized a magistrate's power and jurisdiction. The image has survived in the modern world as a representation of magisterial or collective power. The fasces frequently occurs as a charge in heraldry, it is present on an older design of the Mercury dime and behind the podium in the United States House of Representatives

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

are so bias and resentful that you are essentially promoting the prohibition of the Free Exercise of Religion, therefore promoting a tyrannical view that is Unconstitutional.

There in lies the danger that none have grasped.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Thank you for bringing this up and revealing to me just how unjust the belief systems of ATS

You're welcome - like I said I do polemic with CHristians on this site - however I will point out wrongs by the State in attacking through coercion the mode of education - using teachers who have been brainwashed or don't even understand the concept of free thinking. I fear for my childrens children and the world they will inherent.

What they rail against in foreign theocratic states is staring them in the face in their own backyards

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

My parents had nothing to do with it.

Thats great and like I said nothing wrong with sharing uplifting bible verses - the only thing that raised a flag for me was the Mother sent more when the other kids wanted some. Being the US and the recent debates it should have sent alarm bells to the mother; either its genuine or someone wanted a reaction, or proselytizing - I cannot answer as to motivations.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Only because he isn't preaching the trendy doctrine of this system. Poor kid. Good for him for standing out and being different. Most people would try and have you believe that your independent and open minded for conforming to secular beliefs. I find that to be the opposite. I grew up believing in a god and was always ridiculed for having a sense of spirituality. It seemed the more lemming, cattle way of believing was the contrary to mine. I think people are becoming more narrow minded as they progress.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

and it's not as if the bible is filled with new ideas that need to be shared far and wide.

So schools these days share new ideas? Could have fooled me. All I see is happy robot camps - no dissent or discourse allowed.

I see little of the old ideas of "taking responsibility". I see many new ideas like everyone's special, everyone gets to pass,
there are no wrong or right answers, there are no ethics or morals discussed. I see plenty of sex, I see plenty of "what do your parents know?". Fed a constant diet of TV where the most they aspire to is being the next "gangsta" or "pole dancer" sadly only ending up in minimum wage jobs.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

True!

Not many realize its Separation OF Church and State, not Protection FROM Church by the State.

Parents should be able to put whatever note to their kids as they please. Its no ones business.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Parents should be able to put whatever note to their kids as they please. Its no ones business.

It's sharing those notes that's the violation.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
At that age kids (boys) also become interested in boobies.

Like others say school has no business what a parent puts in their kids lunch box

I wonder if a dad decides to put some not X-rated pics from babes in bikini's in a lunch box. Which will win Bible-verses vs Babe-pics?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Scumbag school officials,nuff said.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KaibaTheJedi

This is plain stupid and reminds me of 1984

you get it

This is why we need Trump, so that these "political correctness" snowflakes will be done away with

You dont get it. Trump is another of the ruling corporate fascists. They decide at the Bilderberg meetings who gets in. If once in power he goes against the grain his fate will be like JFKs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join