It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving houses in childhood increases suicide, death risk

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

How would you describe those negative and positive effects from your experiences and the experiences of your kids?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think you make an excellent point.

However, there's few things quiet as unsettling as having one's HOME uprooted and somewhat flung to the wind whether one wanted it, or not. All the worse for insecure folks awash in RAD and poor parenting.

originally posted by: AccessDenied
a reply to: BO XIAN
I would wager that any major life changing event or upheaval in the life of a child during the adolescent years would cause the same increase. They are at the midway point of change in their lives, and dealing with new hormones and emotions all with still under developed brains. Anything deemed a negative to their way of life could be detrimental.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

What percent would you say such moving had negative impacts on your life and what percent positive?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Certainly the poor impulse control of teens is a huge risk factor.

However, SO ARE those factors which TRIGGER such impulses to begin with.

Certainly broken friendship bonds are a huge issue.

Tribal moving around in earlier eons tended to involve the whole tribe. This study is not talking about that kind of moving.

Thanks for your fine points.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The study is ONE study of ONE sample.

I believe it is replicatable as it was a well done study.

HOWEVER, it is NOT going to fit all individual teens in all situations. Nothing or near nothing in sociology and psychology generalized studies fits all individuals.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

CONGRATS ON YOUR RESILIENCE AND ON YOUR OVERCOMING REGARDLESS. VERY IMPRESSIVE. GOOD ON YA.

You might check out Drs Sibcy and Clinton's ATTACHMENTS: WHY YOU LOVE, FEEL AND ACT THE WAY YOU DO

www.amazon.com...

It CAN help you overcome even more . . . as well as fit more puzzle pieces into place.

If you could and are willing . . . would you be able to make a guesstimate . . . What % of your troubles might you ascribe to the crazy dad and what % to merely the fact of moving so much?

edit on 8/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Hmmm, thinking about it... my troubles were and are probably more due to my crazy father than the constant moving. I felt that the moving was more of an adventure, though I remember hating having to go to new schools and meet new people constantly, I never really formed friendships until I was about 16 years old, and even those friendships were more of an acquaintance thing rather than normal trusting, happy, social life friendships.

Now as a 29 year old, I have a partner and a son, and no real close friends. I don't mind being mostly alone though, I like my little family and don't desire much else, and get plenty of social activity over the internet.

I would say that the constant moving affected my social growth, but everything else I experienced was more a direct result of my schizophrenic father.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Good point on tribes.

I think military kids do have a higher rate of suicide attempts.

I think the family does need to seriously consider how big a deal it is and get the child introduced to other kids as soon as possible with positive activities. For the adults too for that matter. I have one of those houses kids go to so it seems to work out ok for me.

I think parents getting divorces and fighting also increase suicide in children. So if it's a stress reason or financial it is can bring about a paradox.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Sounds logical and reasonable, to me.

I do encourage you to form at least 1-3 Friendships if at all workable--and such trustworthy and compatible souls are around. None of us can afford to have our whole house built on one or two supports--no matter how wonderful they are.

It also puts a LOT of pressure, conscious and/or unconscious--on those one or two supports.

Besides, I assume you are a woman . . . and a rare, high quality hubby can be a great Friend and lover and communicator . . . but he cannot really offer you a quality woman's perspective. And sometimes that can be priceless.

Anyway--congrats on your resilience and on your great family.

Very impressive.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Good point on tribes.

I think military kids do have a higher rate of suicide attempts.

I think the family does need to seriously consider how big a deal it is and get the child introduced to other kids as soon as possible with positive activities. For the adults too for that matter. I have one of those houses kids go to so it seems to work out ok for me.

I think parents getting divorces and fighting also increase suicide in children. So if it's a stress reason or financial it is can bring about a paradox.

I THOROUGHLY AGREE with you!

INDEED.

Parents can go a long way to helping facilitate forming new friendships with fun activities and parties and well selected guest lists. They can help their children describe the sorts of friends they are interested in--WHO ARE ALSO quality, sane and healthy individuals.

Then the parents can support and somewhat engage in with the group--fun things from swimming, sports, camping, etc. activities to food oriented parties with selected movies etc. There's a dozen ways to have fun without engaging in a lot of the pretend fun/destructive stuff that gets labeled fun but has tons of destructive consequences.

Various websites and organizations have such suggestions.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Maybe it is just young people or maybe it is researchers making something out of nothing.

I went to 13 different schools and changed schools 17 times in 12 years. 2 years I went to 3 dif schools each and 1 of those years in 3 diff states. I lived through it and never considered suicide.

Either they are looking for a new symptom to diagnosis people or we have raised a sad group of people.

Guess I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

How old are you?

The stresses on kids in this era are incredibly complex and very intense.

And they do not--typically--have stable healthy homes and parents to give them a shred of resilience and maturity to cope with life, with.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

How old are you?

The stresses on kids in this era are incredibly complex and very intense.

And they do not--typically--have stable healthy homes and parents to give them a shred of resilience and maturity to cope with life, with.

I am 70 and very well aware of what is going on in this day and age.

I also lived with a mom and dad, then two different step dads, grandparents multiple times, an orphanage and one of the step dads brother and wife as well as one of their daughters. I would not call my life stable and healthy. I was also offered for adoption on two occasions. The resilience was my own.

It was a different day and time. You suck it up and keep going. Maybe it was just and internal determination. But I do think the generations of people have gotten weaker. Think of the college students who need 'safe places'.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Gads, you WERE QUITE RESILIENT!!! CONGRATS.

Yeah, the culture, and, imho, parents and children have all been massively degraded.

I'm probably a few months younger than you are.

We both probably have serious RAD. You probably overcame more of yours sooner than I did, in SOME respects.

Sucking it up and making do works in a lot of respects--needful respects--for a time. But there's still a price that the whole person pays to 'make do.'

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Hm. That's weird. I moved twice during that time. I rather enjoyed the process both times. It was fun. And I got to live in a nicer, cooler house each time. Plus, I met really cool people who I am still connected with in each separate place. I like having lived in three different states--I feel like it gives me more experience. I could never think of it as a bad thing.

One thing that may contribute to my optimistic counter-viewpoint to the OP: each time during childhood, I was asked by my parents if I'd like to move. They said that they would go with whatever I said. I was excited to move each time, and excited that my father was being promoted both times. I was glad to leave.

Home isn't a place. It's in your heart and in those who you love.

Perhaps for people who mistakenly believe that home can be found in a physical place on earth, such removals might be traumatic. But that's still based on a misconception. So it's the misconception that harms people, not the moving itself

I think that it is highly probable that I am correct. It seems fairly obvious to me that it is something other than literally moving that is affecting these people--to think that it is just moving would be to overgeneralize the situation. It's going to vary from person to person, but likely it is due to being uprooted after growing up under the false belief that home equates to four walls and a roof. Point being: valuing materialism over what really matters is ultimately damaging. *mic drop*

edit on 9-6-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

You raise an interesting issue.

Hmmmmm . . .

My own thoughts about that are . . .

1. Many people--obviously not all--construe home as a kind of existential roosting place of their being that has a lot of emotional attachments that contribute to their sense of security and safety.

2. That is likely MORE the case for those children who have significant degrees of RAD.

3. This is, to some degree, genetic--particularly in terms of the part temperament plays in such constructions on reality. Some genetic temperaments are more outgoing and some more shy etc.

4. And certainly parental involvement the first 6 years of life, in ways that help the child feel genuinely loved, secure, safe, of worth and value etc. etc. all such will help the child be less affixed emotionally to a place and house and set of objects and routines tied to that place.

5. It is exceedingly common for many people to derive some degree of security, normalcy, safety and even identity from THEIR PLACE whether it is THEIR PLACE at the table, on the work team, in the family--whatever. And when their sense of place is disrupted, a flood of anxiety or worse can afflict them--and maybe take root.

6. It sounds like your sense of PLACE in your family was significant and secure enough that you didn't attach a lot of importance to a location. Your parents were evidently quite connected to you. That's a luxury most kids do NOT have in our era.

7. People are typically not so bold about exploring OUT THERE until their IN HERE is really solidly secure over a significant period of time. And for many, that period of secure and safe time never occurs.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

this is ploy to keep us located and docile. it makes it easier for the masters to keep track of us.

did they also do a study of the prescription drugs have been feed to the people over these amount of years. adults and kids love adventure and seeing new places

your source is propaganda in order to make us weak and fear freedom of movment

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

The study is Danish. Considering Denmark and the U.S. have different youth suicide rates, I wouldn't say the information is particularly weighty when applied to US society.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

as humans we all yearn for knowledge and adventure, no matter what country we are from.

we have been hypnotized by tv, lied to by media, mislead by science, and poisoned by food and drink,

are brains have been toyed with for many years and only now are people starting to become immunized to the multiple

platforms of poison.

its all or nothing now, i have been trying to teach my kids these things, and forgive me if i speak ignorantly of your

personnel situation since we have not conversed in awhile, but i hope you teach your coming offspring the same.

knowledge, sacrifice, and unity and tenacity is are only hope if we are stop the madness.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Chill out dude, download EAGLES song 'Get over it' and enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join