It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $15 Dollar Wage vs The Skilled Labor Market

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JBDTheBeast

I have a better idea. Reduce the corporate tax and income tax to 0%.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Aazadan

nothing is wrong with trying to improve the system.

sticking a band aid on it that actually hurts other people? what exactly does "improve" mean?

If we are trying to improve our economic system by just jacking up minimum wage, we are going to fail. And make things worse in the process. minimum wage should be adjusted to match inflation. maybe every 5 years, or whatever. But you don't just arbitrarily double it because it becomes fashionable.

No, we solve minimum wage etc forever.

Each worker gets paid 1/2 their value to the company.

Ends it all in one move.

It should be criminal to pay less than that, while you get paid for not actually producing crap but stealing production thus value from your workers.

Let me guess. Your going to use the government to enforce this?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You will find that prices of everything will go up triple if you raise the MW to $15 a hour.
everything is always based on supply and demand. if the amount of money out there goes up the amount of the demand for product will go up. this will lead to a smaller supply of products and higher cost.

Companies will raise prices to both cover the higher wage and to cover the fact that many more will have more spending money.

government will also raise taxes because the higher wage earners can afford to pay the money making $15 HOUR.

This will really hurt the retired, disabled and those that can only work part time for health reasons.

in the long run we will not gain a cent by raising the minimum wage.

I was a union worker and also worked in other trades as non union the non union jobs paid less then half the pay of the union jobs but at the end of the year i did not really make any more after taxes working union.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Everything is not always based on supply and demand. There are plenty of other factors. Supply and demand is a broad generalization. The inner workings are much more complicated.

The price manipulation of products is an issue as well. We could certainly bring more business in to the country by alleviating corporate taxes at the same time as raising labour. If companies decide to turn that to profit or raises well we have a moral dilema. I have to believe there are still moral CEO's even in the big corperations. This would definitely help small business owners deal with the labour cost increase.

What about offsetting labour cost increase with corresponding business tax relief?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

The value of labor is a balance between the cost of living in a market, and the availability of the labor resources needed. If you are looking to put a call center in, you will pay less in labor costs doing it in Podunk, Arkansas than in NYC. The main reason being the cost of living.

I know a dude who lives here that owns 2 buildings in NYC. They both have a business on bottom and apartment on top. The rent he collects from those properties allows him to live like a king here. I think he's brilliant.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah I took my union trained carpentry from the NE and I moved to Austin in the late 90's. I went down to do some renovations in Hyde park and they needed people with carpentry skills. Apparently during the boom they just did not have nearly enough skilled labour. So when it came time to do traditional 100 year old home renovations the illegals had no idea how to mill or assemble the trim or repair pieces of the finish work. To be honest the framing on new houses was also terrible.

When I got to Texas I saw the worst work and craftsman ship I have ever seene in my life. There isn't even a licence to be a contractor. Basically the illegals were just used to put together all the plug and play parts from home depot. They couldn't even do that right. Not because they are incapable just because they were never taught.

Consequently I saw houses built over the 15 years I lived there rot away in all the usual spots about 5 times as fast. No understanding of flashing, or proper carpentry techniques to avoid moisture issues. People leaving vapor barriers in insulation causing black mold behind the walls of these new homes. Codes slowly were inacted to check all the common problems buy I have seen a kid you not co tractors move the steel for concrete driveways to the next house and pour the driveway without any steel to save time and money I guess.

Anyhow you also get what you pay for.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join