It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Didn't Drop Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I believe that pretty well sums it up. If the part of the GOP base that really doesn't like Trump was going to sit out the election or vote a 3rd party candidate in large numbers, it might have given him something to work with. I don't see that happening. Trump's speech last night seems to indicate that he's going to follow Manafort's advice. I expect to see less off the cuff pandering of the "they're rapists! Remember Kate!" variety and a whole lot more prepared speeches about how the Clintons embody government corruption.

One thing's for sure, it's going to get really ugly between Trump and Clinton.
edit on 2016-6-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

One thing's for sure, it's going to get really ugly between Trump and Clinton.

Yes.

I want to see a real debate - - on issues.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think theantediluvian has pretty much nailed it.

Both on why Sanders is still in it, and in how Hillary should proceed vs. Trump.

So I'm hoping Hillary's supporters ignore that excellent advice, lol....

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If Bernie drops out, trump wins.

If Bernie takes it all the way to the convention, and further to the general election? He has a huge chance of winning. Especially considering that the amount of people backing bernie/trump far outweigh the support for Hillary Clinton.

Remember the general election allows EVERYONE TO VOTE. Which means none of this party affiliation blockades will no longer be effective.

I think if we went back to the old style of voting for primaries you'd see Bernie Sanders burying Hillary Clinton.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If he's smart he'll force clinton to take him as vp. He'll just say, "Either you make me your VP or I'm telling my supports to vote Stien or Anderson"

As VP he'll be very visible and have some power to actually push some of that change he wants to see.

Just a thought. Or, perhaps the FBI will actually indite Hillary and he'll be ready to go! Or he's so sick of Hillary cheating that he just jumps ship to the green party and to heck with the Democrats.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That's a crappy thing to say. Of the major candidates he was the only one who stuck with his principles and I respect that. Sorry you don't appreciate his value as a human being. That's your loss and so many others as well. We needed an honest person to listen to the people and fight for them. He fit that description. Shame on you.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
When I register to vote I select the “no party preference” option. Although for the most part I’m a leftie, there are times I’ve taken the other side. Just depends on the issue. One thing is for sure, Donald Trump will not be getting my vote in Nov. I might be a nut-job, but I’m not totally insane.

And even though I’m mostly liberal, that doesn’t translate into support for Bernie Sanders. Most of the Sanders supporters tend to be either young, impressionable and gullible or they’re old hippies/yippies remembering a time when revolution and change was in the air (1960’s/early 70’s). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking either group. I think the stated goals of the Sanders “movement” are noble and good. I guess I’m a little bit jaded, though, and find much of the platform unrealistic and naive. To implement 1/2 of what Bernie is suggesting would probably require a true revolution with a lot of unrest, open protest and fighting in the streets. Although most Americans love to complain about how miserable they are, I doubt many are prepared for a real revolution.

That reminds me of an old song by the Beatles called, “Revolution”. Here’s a few lines from it:

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know, we'd all love to see the plan.
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know, we're doing what we can.
But when you want money for people with minds that hate,
All I can tell is brother you’ll have to wait

Sorry, I like that song.

It seems to me that the bottom line with Sanders is he is only making a Trump Presidency more likely. At least for the time being I think he should get off his soap box and help the party unite against Trump. Otherwise he’s being delusional and self-serving, and is causing harm to the party he claims to be representing in his campaign. I think Bernie has some good ideas; I just hope he directs them in such a way that it does good. Right now Bernie has the power at his disposal to potentially destroy this nation by ushering Trump into office. I really hope he understands that and does the right thing.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I believe there are many citizens out here who would like to shake Sen. Sanders' hand and tell him thank you for keeping his name, rightfully, on the ballot through the Democrat Convention.

He speaks for many, many Americans on very serious issues about what some of the priorities going forward for this party should be. The bottom line is, he has held her below the pledged delegates threshold she needs to be the party's nominee before the convention. Those are the rules. They both earned seats at the convention where the party's platform is voted upon and delegates will, in person, vote for the nominee.

In this situation, I believe the AP got it wrong. Really wrong, both in timing (there were no elections Monday) and in fact. The presumptive nominee call requires more serious analysis than when the most recent Superdelegate returned APs phone poll about how they are feeling about Sen. Clinton on any particular day. More minds needed to be in that room to make a call like this. Let's face it, there is more than a month before Superdelegates will actually vote. And Lord knows there is still breaking news daily, including on an escelating FBI investigation, while Mr. Trump polishes his prose for battle. There are a lot of unprecedented events occurring, including record negatives in polling numbers, that make calling anything related to this election, a moving target at best.

Sec. Clinton has not reached the magic number of 2,384 votes needed to win. She has 2,197 pledged delegates. Super delegates, regardless of what they are polling at a given time, have until they show up in Philadelphia July 25-28 to vote.

I personally have to say thank you to the Senator for making this election about what really is ailing our people, our communities and our planet. Many American dreams have been crushed by unchecked greed in the few. Thank you for continuing this journey. It matters.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., wrote
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor."

Lead on

There is more to be done.

edit on 8-6-2016 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Bernie is acting like a jerk.

He needs to go home.

I hope he runs 3rd party or tells his voters to boycott hillary.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Just my opinion

But I think Bernie will simply disappear off the stage.

My reasons?

The DNC wants him gone.
The longer he's around, the more it takes away from Hillary. Hillary doesn't want to continue fighting Bernie. She wants to fight Trump.

The media won't cover him anymore. They want a Trump/Hillary fight. Makes for better ratings.

Bernie supporters won't go to Hillary if a prolonged fight. The sooner it's over, the better.

The DNC will pay him off.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, I don't think the DNC is happy about Bernie at all.

He did his thing. Time to go.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I don't care.

He should've run 20 years ago.

Despite looking like hell, Bernie Sanders is still only 6 years older than Hillary Clinton. If he's too old to run, so is she.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaveButts
You got to realize from they day he entered into the race he never thought he was going to win. His goal was to push the DNC as left as he posibly could.

IMO this is the closest to the truth.

Bernie understand that movements are what changes things in America, not individuals. Bernie is a moment, but his ideas are a movement. As is said, the difference between moment and a movement — a movement requires sacrifice. Too many people will vote and sit back, believing that things will change. They will not do the sacrifice for a movement. Voting is only the first step towards change.

Bernie wants a movement, not a moment. He understands that even if he should become POTUS, he can only do so much if people do not do the sacrifice of a movement.

Ronald Reagan started the Reagan Revolution (the effects of which are still being felt today). His supporters voted but then went to their churches for further instruction on what to do next. They listened to their radio and tv personalities tell them the next step to do. They went out and organized in their communities. They became politically active.

This is what Bernie wants his supporters to do. Even if he is not POTUS, he understands that he finally can be the leader of a movement, if people are willing to do more than vote. He understands that people and leaders are ready on the political Left. He understands that remaining in the Senate is equally as important for the movement, perhaps more so, to effect the change his supporters want.

Bernie wants, above all, that this country is taken back from the Reagan Revolution. He will work to make sure no Republican be elected POTUS. He wants his supporters to work to make sure that only a Democrat win the election. That is just the start of a movement.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

I don't care.

He should've run 20 years ago.

Despite looking like hell, Bernie Sanders is still only 6 years older than Hillary Clinton. If he's too old to run, so is she.

Yes, I know - I'm the same age as Hillary.

Has nothing to do with age.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

Love this post desert

Bernard is a different kind of politician - we haven't seen something like this in quite a while

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Where was he (in regards to running for president) when.... the momentum was there to bring his style of government into reality? ...
Then came the Neo-Cons, Tea Party, Trumpsters, etc. The Right became more Right, the Left became more Right. The activism of the 70s/80s faded into history.

We (collectively) weren't ready for a Bernie and his message back then. He was part of that time, yet didn't become politically active until 1980, running for mayor of a small town in a small state.

The time back then was full of movements, outside of government, pushing for changes in govt (war, civil rights, safety/pollution regulations) and culture (women, peace). Wages were good (college, at least in Calif, was free or low cost), people had access to health insurance and services, people were benefiting from the economic system.

But all that scared some people on the right, fearing cultural losses, and far right money began to pour into conservative religious and cause campaigns against these feared losses. They took advantage of the Saudi rise in oil prices, with inflation following, to coalesce citizens around a new movement, religious and conservative in nature. They took advantage of white fear of losing their social dominance over "minorities" and of white jealousy over "minorities" getting help to advance in society.

The far right movement became the Reagan Revolution and the "Culture War" was on, steam rolling over anything left of the Left. It caught on like wildfire and more money was poured into it. This turning to politcal/economic conservative and religious fundamentalism (which was given political power) was not only confined to the United States but was a worldwide phenamenon (think Taliban and Afghanistan as examples).

Even 20 years ago Bernie and his messages could not stand a chance of being heard. There was still a middle class, although which would increasingly go into increasing debt to be able to live the middle class lifestyle. The average person was scheming and dreaming of making big bucks off investments and Wall Street. The "little person", as we were mockingly called by the Haves, did not see that they were buying into the rigged system that Bernie speaks of. A system that would give greater benefits to the 1% and leave crumbs that the average person believed was a meal.

No, the time for Bernie (not necessarily as a POTUS) is now, because the blinders of the average citizen have finally come off. They now know, they finally see, that the system is rigged. The time for a movement is now. But a movement takes more than electing a person to office. We had better let Bernie, along with other Progressive leaders, lead that movement, if we want to take back the country from the Reagan Revolution.

Things have gotten crazily out of control in this country. America has always been a Great Nation. There is nothing to make it "great again". (What? By going backward and undoing the progress we've made? That is what some Americans want.) We just need to change course, a u-turn, if we have any chance to Keep It Great.

It may be that Bernie can get out his message without the encumbrances of the office of President. I believe he knows that. That he can do more good NOT being POTUS but leading a movement. Go Bernie... and Elizabeth Warren... and all the other Progressive leaders out there ready to lead, if people organize and follow and push back with new ideas.

Let the Bernie Revolution begin! Leave the job of governing to Hillary.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sanders has meetings this morning with Obama and Harry Reid.
I wonder if anything will change.
edit on 6/9/16 by BlueAjah because: duplicate word

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert

Let the Bernie Revolution begin! Leave the job of governing to Hillary.

I'll go with that.

I did read his bio and I did live during those times.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You know, when someone does something good, we often have said, "He (now she!) should be President!". More in a rhetorical way, but, really, begging for someone to lead us to carry out those ideas. I really, really feel that, whatever happens politically, Bernie is the person to lead the Bernie Revolution. .....Reagan loaned his name to the Reagan Revolution, so I say Bernie Revolution.

No way is the Bernie Revolution dead. Rather, It is just about to be born.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join