It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cagliostro's Catalogue of Post-Apoc Life Hacks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I wear my knife on my right, and draw with my right too, but that is because an underhand grip allows for certain methods of moving the blade, and certain applications of force when employing the blade, which are harder to accomplish with the traditional, overhand grip.

I think if we were to build a kit carry system package for tools like axes, machetes, billhooks, and the like, with the post apocalypse in mind, EVERYTHING would have to be fast draw capable. To that end, when I build a carry system for my billhook, it will probably be made of the same stuff, but feature some sort of catch or quick release system. I will probably back strap that though, to make room for something else at my left hip, perhaps a hatchet as you say. I think I have one somewhere actually... Hmmm.

Something tells me I had better get hold of some more rubber! The sheath I showed you was made of an off cut piece of rubber from one of our suppliers, which had been used for some other project by a colleague of mine. They supply materials to shoe menders, so I am pretty certain that it was some kind of boot rubber anyway. While I have easy access to it, I might order some more at some stage soon, and get working on a method for carrying some other items around with me, in the event of things getting crazy.

Now that I consider it, I am going to have an awful lot of fun when I do my next little project! Harness and sheath for my billhook sounds like a winner...

Going to have to be an odd shape though!
edit on 8-7-2016 by TrueBrit because: Added image

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

A back scabbard seems right for a billhook, or in my case, a machete. I like to sharpen the off-edge of the machette about four inches back, in case I have to chop into something that might nick the blade.

I made a machete a few years ago with a 10" Sea Grape handle. It is almost perfect for slashing bush (extra leverage) or, say, zombies lurching slowly. Haven't chopped any zombies, but that's not to say I wouldn't if they lurched into my yard.

Fifteen years ago, I ordered and received several rolls of elkhide. Two years ago, I ordered and receive a few rolls of buckskin. I also like having around several lengths of rawhide, as it is perfect for binding, as it shrinks if whetted and then dried.

Also got a few rolls of Dacron 50, for bowstrings. You can always make bows and arrows out of several things, but bowstrings....... well. That requires a certain flex and tension.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I think it's important, while supply lines exist for materials, to get what you can in, so that one can maintain and create without necessarily being beholden to post apocalyptic scavenging necessity. Reclaimed and recycled materials are badass of course, and I love making use of otherwise useless stuff as much as the next tinkerer. But while we have the gear on tap, might as well make best use of it.

Using techniques which require minimal tooling and no powered equipment is good practice for if things get hairy, and when you can get good results by so doing, it pays to get used to the idea, the amount of time things take, the amount of effort required.

Right now I am getting ready for work, but I am also trying to think about the best way to build something for an irregularly shaped blade like the one on my billhook. The real kicker is the axe like blade on the spine. Because it protrudes from the spine by a good bit, and because there is a reverse swept blade on the other side, I think the actual container it will be carried in will have to be a little different than you would make for a regular machete. I have a little something in mind, but I need to get materials.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Buy a bottle of glacial acetic acid, it is 90+ per cent acetic acid. Dilute to 6% for strong pickling vinegar or for spraying weeds. Spraying weeds with this on a warmish day dehydrates them. 1L becomes 15L for pickling or dilute it to 3% for other culinary uses, so it becomes 30L. Useful for washing and as a mild antiseptic on surfaces and vegetables.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This guy has everything from rope made of tree bark to ...you name it... Another home made bow and arrow video but he has many things that might be of interest.
youtu.be...

the old fashion way of making fire
youtu.be...

edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join