It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking / Quit Smoking . . . Do picture warnings on cigarettes increase quit attempts?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
FULL TITLE:

Smoking / Quit Smoking Public Health Lung Cancer Do picture warnings on cigarettes increase quit attempts?

Original study published in the JAMA Internal Medicine [Journal of the American Medical Assoc]

Written by Marie Ellis
Published: Monday 6 June 2016

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

In 2012, the tobacco industry spent $9.17 billion on advertising for cigarettes - the equivalent of more than $1 million every hour. Meanwhile, more than 16 million living Americans have a disease caused by smoking, and worldwide, tobacco use causes almost 6 million deaths per year. In the wake of such astonishing statistics, a new study examines whether picture warnings on cigarette packs are more effective than text-only warnings in encouraging smokers to quit.
. . .
The World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control is an international treaty that recommends pictorial warnings on cigarette packs.
. . .

Results showed that the smokers who received pictorial warnings were more likely to try quitting during the trial, compared with those who received text-only warnings.
In detail, 40 percent of smokers who received pictures made a quit attempt, compared with 34 percent in the text-only group. Additionally, 5.7 percent of smokers in the picture group had quit smoking for at least a week by the end of the trial, compared with 3.8 percent of smokers in the text group.
. . .

"How graphic warnings on cigarette packets influence smokers' brains"

. . .
Furthermore, when the subjects viewed the GWLs, they demonstrated activity in certain areas of the amygdala and the medial prefrontal cortex of the brain.
Co-lead study author Adam Green, PhD, of the Department of Psychology at Georgetown, explains that the amygdala responds to stimuli that are emotionally powerful, especially fear and disgust, which are emotions that often influence decision-making.
. . . .

= = =
I've long thought that ciggy packs should have color pics of smoke filled and cancerous lung tissue.
I wasn't aware this movement was afoot.
I suppose the addicted smokers will have a list of reasons why such would be a terrible thing to do.
I don't typically like the government to limit personal choice.
However, surgeries etc. from smoking cost all of us.
What do most ATSers think about the above?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN
Would you also advocate putting pictures of diseased hearts and clogged arteries on foods with high fat and sugar content? How about pix of diseased livers on every alcohol container?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

That would be acceptable, to me.

Though such foods do have SOME redeeming value. LOL.

Ciggy butts mostly help the oligarchy in their destructive schemes and money grubbing.

Imagine a new product approached the FDA for clearance:

1. It is addictive.

2. It will cause horrible frequencies of a deadly cancer and millions of horrible deaths where the dying will feel like they are breathing through a hair for many hideously awful months.

3. It will also cause health problems for the family members and others nearby.

4. It will be offensive and disgusting to a major portion of the population.

5. It will be a source of conflict in millions of marriages.

6. It will put children at risk for health problems.

7. It will cost a lot of money--particularly for poor people addicted in their youth--who can ill afford the addiction and put food on the table.

8. It will enrich lying ruthless tobacco companies by huge amounts, even after repeated government crack downs.

= = =

Do you suppose such a new product would be approved?

Why/why not?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Canada did this YEARS ago.
The resulting new industry in cigarette pack covers was AWESOME!

Some of the cigarette pack's pictures were gruesome and became collectors items.

Native cigarette sales went thru the roof. All in all no one really cared but everyone collected the pretty pack covers. My favorite were the wildlife ones.
Good Times!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Hello Bo, ive wanted to comment on many of your threads but either was otherwise engaged or diddnt feel qualified to speak to the content. This however I know well enough.

First off the previous poster was correct this in no way will deminish smokers desire to smoke and will probably have the reverse affect on young smokers. We all know teens, including most of us when we were, believe they are invincible and will just be drawn to the graphic images.

Lastly as a now-former smoker the only thing that will convince you to stop is the realization of said mortality, though in many cases not even that will be enough. Personally I quit bc I couldn't breathe right while attempting to do practically anything.

Your threads are always informative and I salute you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: coven83

THANKS BIG for your kind words and information.

I think you are largely correct.

Nevertheless, if even 1% of those who see such pics are influenced in a positive way--I think it would be worth it.

Certainly the invincible feeling of youth is a huge factor.

I know a Christian brother who was on oxygen from breathing problems related to smoking . . . who's dad was dying of emphysema from smoking . . . and this Bobby SMOKED WITH OXYGEN--catching his beard on fire TWICE!

And, he's still smoking. Sigh.

I know addiction stuff is very hard to break. Very hard.

CONGRATS ON YOUR STOPPING. I hope you've stopped long enough to feel the rebound of your lungs.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Here is a pic of a cigarette pack here in the Philippines. I think it is kind of funny actually that they made this picture.

To answer the question, no, I don't think these pictures are effective as a deterrent.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It's more than just an addiction.
Being a smoker let me tell you I enjoy it. A lot.
I don't drink, or have any other vices other than ATS. Other people go out, or purchase all sorts of luxury things. I hate shopping and live a very simple life.

Of course it isn't healthy, but neither is breathing the air here due to fine particulate matter in my area. Most food has been GMO'd or has so many unnecessary additives, the drinking water has pharmaceutical residue from drugs I wouldn't take if you put a gun to my head.

Each person has to decide for themselves when enough is enough an it's time to quit.
It can't be regulated, legislated or economically coerced.

Currently Cigarettes are taxed MORE than alcohol. Second only to Gasoline. I'm tired of being picked on when that tax money is used for everything under the sun. Cigarette tax money funds all kinds of programs for States that couldn't otherwise afford, or fund. Very good programs BTW.

Additionally my IQ doesn't drop 40 points after lighting up like some social drinkers I know after a couple of drinks.
As medical marijuana is being legalized, ahem, in many cases it will be smoked.
Vaping is currently undergoing new FDA regulations most of which will be onerous, some parts of the law are downright ridiculous.

It's always easy to vilify a sub-set of people when THEIR vice isn't yours. Low hanging fruit an all that.
Currently smoking is NOT illegal.

Until it is it's up to the Smoking Community to decide for themselves. I don't tell Non-Smokers how to live their lives and would appreciate the same courtesy in return.

I'm sure my last post was much more entertaining.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The same points can made about alcohol. So you want pix of diseased livers on each container of alcohol sold in the US? After all, most producers are international corporate entities that are making billions of dollars off the poor as well as the rich, not to mention the millions made by government in the form of taxes.
How far are you willing to go to regulate my behavior so it doesn't violate your sense of rightness?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

All the packs here already have gruesome photos on them. That was started many years ago.
When I was a smoker, I didn't feel any impact. I knew the risks. I just was not real happy with my life and thinking dying earlier sounded fine with me, as long as I can find some pleasure it that shorter life.

I think there is sometimes a slightly suicidal subconscious element to it already. It made me laugh to hear people trying to scare me by telling me I'll die. Living a long life with the daily crap I detested was nothing I aspired to.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
They could have diseased lungs pictured on the pack and id still smoke they could ban it altogether and id plant it and grow it and still smoke.

aside from being my body its also a part of my sacrament to feed hungry ghosts no different than incense burned inside temples the body being a temple that houses this energy it becomes a very important funerary rite in my practice of easing the sufferings of other beings out of compassion and empathy.

Such as those that have passed on with no awakening far to attached to material things and the form they protect as if it is permanent... so my smoke basically ends up feeding and consoling those dead from such things as banning smoking in a vie of such control over others as their bellies are distended and mouths no larger than a needle it satiates their appetite and hunger to ease burdens and move on.

Of course such esoterics and phenominology are not likely to respect such things... but to each their own. Oh wait in such systems it isnt to each their own its conform into one homogenized undifferentied mass of being that points and condemns all things in all it so called benevolence doesnt like or agree with.

The leading cause of death is being alive in the first place.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

There is not a single disease on this planet that are restricted to smokers only. People who have never smoked still get lung cancer, emphysema and COPD. Never smokers still die of heart disease.

Correlation is NOT causation. There is not one bit of hard physical evidence that proves that smoking CAUSES any disease!

As for grusome pictures on cigarette packs - why are you even bringing up the topic? grusome pics have been the norm for decades!

No one advertised marijuana but the number of users surely grew during the last 60 years of prohibition. And it is straight plain packaging with no company logo's

Indian cigarettes come in a plastic bag - and the number of people that buy them is growing year by year.

Why doesn't public health and the nico nazi's just butt out of everyone's personal business?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
FULL TITLE:

Smoking / Quit Smoking Public Health Lung Cancer Do picture warnings on cigarettes increase quit attempts?

Original study published in the JAMA Internal Medicine [Journal of the American Medical Assoc]

Written by Marie Ellis
Published: Monday 6 June 2016

In 2012, the tobacco industry spent $9.17 billion on advertising for cigarettes - the equivalent of more than $1 million every hour. Meanwhile, more than 16 million living Americans have a disease caused by smoking, and worldwide, tobacco use causes almost 6 million deaths per year. In the wake of such astonishing statistics, a new study examines whether picture warnings on cigarette packs are more effective than text-only warnings in encouraging smokers to quit.
. . .
The World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control is an international treaty that recommends pictorial warnings on cigarette packs.
. . .

Results showed that the smokers who received pictorial warnings were more likely to try quitting during the trial, compared with those who received text-only warnings.
In detail, 40 percent of smokers who received pictures made a quit attempt, compared with 34 percent in the text-only group. Additionally, 5.7 percent of smokers in the picture group had quit smoking for at least a week by the end of the trial, compared with 3.8 percent of smokers in the text group.
. . .

"How graphic warnings on cigarette packets influence smokers' brains"

. . .
Furthermore, when the subjects viewed the GWLs, they demonstrated activity in certain areas of the amygdala and the medial prefrontal cortex of the brain.
Co-lead study author Adam Green, PhD, of the Department of Psychology at Georgetown, explains that the amygdala responds to stimuli that are emotionally powerful, especially fear and disgust, which are emotions that often influence decision-making.
. . . .

= = =
I've long thought that ciggy packs should have color pics of smoke filled and cancerous lung tissue.
I wasn't aware this movement was afoot.
I suppose the addicted smokers will have a list of reasons why such would be a terrible thing to do.
I don't typically like the government to limit personal choice.
However, surgeries etc. from smoking cost all of us.
What do most ATSers think about the above?

I live in Canada. We have awful graphic pictures that cover 75% of the package. They did nothing to deter me from smoking and nothing to help me quit. I've been trying to cut down for about a month now. I quit for a whole month until I started hanging out with my friends that smoke again.

I've found I just ignore the images the same way i ignore ads. My eyes just kind of gloss over them. To be fair I'm fairly well aware of the dangers to my body and don't really need to see them to know what I'm doing to myself.

The one thing I wish we actually had on packs here was the nicotine content. I find that to be far more useful than the health warnings. As far as I know though, that was the part of the government's concession to tobacco companies in exchange for the picture warnings they didn't have to put the nicotine content on the packs. (I have no idea if this is true, that's just what I was told.) I do know American smokes have it and ours don't.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

cigarette taxes

warning labels

warning pictures

public service announcements

When will governments understand that none of this really makes much of a difference in someone's ability to quit smoking--stopping for a week, or just increasing unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking, does nothing for someone's health. What it does do, though, is lower the belief in the individual that they are capable of quitting, because they have tried a failed, generally on numerous occasions.

Here's a thought--if the government wants to get people to quit smoking (which I don't think that they do, since they make a ton off of the taxes), then they could just outlaw nicotine.

All of these warning and taxes and pictures are just thinly veiled attempts by the government to make it look like they care while they rake in the tax money on an addictive product.

I smoked for 13 years before I quit cold-turkey. What made me quit? Logic--I was tired of paying to harm myself while I was doing everything else right to get myself into good shape. That, and I have asthma, so logic applied there, too. But in those 13 years of smoking, I knew the effects of smoking, I saw all of the pictures--hell, my mom is an RN, so I got the lectures. But none of it mattered until I was ready to quit for personal reasons.

I haven't touched a cigarette in over 8 years since, and it's not because of the government's warning labels or pictures, it's because I was just at a point in my life where I was tired of paying to harm myself.

Until the individual reaches that point in their life where they truly want to quit, no amount of government interference is going to do jack.

edit on 8-6-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Thanks for your excellent points.

Certainly we are a critter with seemingly infinite capacities to self-destruct--particularly from addictions.

And smoking is reportedly harder to quit than heroin.

Thanks to all who bothered to register their perspectives hereon.

I thought there might be a greater balance between those who have quit or advocate quitting and those who fiercely insist on their 'rights' to self-destruct.

I've always been struck by the similarity between the subtle finger movements in the way many hold and move their cigarettes and those who are frequent with the middle finger. Not sure what that correlation is about. Maybe there's an inherent 'up-yours' element to smoking? Some of the posts on this thread could be a sign of that.

There's probably an inherent rebel streak in all humans.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? KJV

However, the harvest of perverse rebellion is always unhealthy.

I'm not talking about rebelling against tyranny and other evil !!!CONTROL!!! junk.

imho, a lot of smoking starts in early teens in millions of lives.

And every one of those teens have had a significant degree of RAD--Attachment Disorder.

Which speaks of inadequate love, healthy affection, bonding--particularly with a healthy loving etc. but firm Dad. In 69 years, I've never known a single case otherwise.

And, as I've persistently said for decades--the time to solve teen problems is the first 6 years of life.

Otherwise, one is playing catch-up.

And it is absolutely true: Discipline [particularly harsh discipline] without sufficient RELATIONSHIP almost always results in REBELLION.

It is still sad, to me, to read so many self-justifying rants for doing something that is basically self-destructive. At a minimum, it is money that could be better spent on healthier, more constructive targets.

And, It is extremely paradoxical, hypocritical to read of the fierce rants against "anyone telling ME what to do with MY money & body." . . . as they comply RELIGIOUSLY & wholesale with the !!!CONTROL!!! manipulations of the tobacco companies and the oligarchy interested in furthering such addictions.

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

cigarette taxes

warning labels

warning pictures

When will governments understand that none of this really makes much of a difference in someone's ability to quit smoking--stopping for a week, or just increasing unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking, does nothing for someone's health. What it does do, though, is lower the belief in the individual that they are capable of quitting, because they have tried a failed, generally on numerous occasions.

Here's a thought--if the government wants to get people to quit smoking (which I don't think that they do, since they make a ton off of the taxes), then they could just outlaw nicotine.

All of these warning and taxes and pictures are just thinly veiled attempts by the government to make it look like they care while they rake in the tax money on an addictive product.

I smoked for 13 years before I quit cold-turkey. What made me quit? Logic--I was tired of paying to harm myself while I was doing everything else right to get myself into good shape. That, and I have asthma, so logic applied there, too. But in those 13 years of smoking, I knew the effects of smoking, I saw all of the pictures--hell, my mom is an RN, so I got the lectures. But none of it mattered until I was ready to quit for personal reasons.

I haven't touched a cigarette in over 8 years since, and it's not because of the government's warning labels or pictures, it's because I was just at a point in my life where I was tired of paying to harm myself.

Until the individual reaches that point in their life where they truly want to quit, no amount of government interference is going to do jack.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I actually think that such strategies may be completely counter-productive.

Each time someone smokes another cig, the behavior is further cemented in their neurology. Now, if we introduce something impactful to this habit inducing equation, it can cause even stronger pathways to be formed. No longer is it just a repetitive behavior, but an impactful picture that directs even more energy into the creation and maintenance of those pathways.

It doesn't have to be much as its something that will be repeated consistently multiple times a day, but the more thought and focus that is brought alongside the habit can serve to only further embed said habit.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

There's some examples of your assertion in the literature in terms of habits generally, IIRC.

However, how would you account for the findings of the RESEARCH reported in the OP?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
Thanks for your excellent points.

Certainly we are a critter with seemingly infinite capacities to self-destruct--particularly from addictions.

And smoking is reportedly harder to quit than heroin.

Thanks to all who bothered to register their perspectives hereon.

I thought there might be a greater balance between those who have quit or advocate quitting and those who fiercely insist on their 'rights' to self-destruct.

I've always been struck by the similarity between the subtle finger movements in the way many hold and move their cigarettes and those who are frequent with the middle finger. Not sure what that correlation is about. Maybe there's an inherent 'up-yours' element to smoking? Some of the posts on this thread could be a sign of that.

There's probably an inherent rebel streak in all humans.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? KJV

However, the harvest of perverse rebellion is always unhealthy.

I'm not talking about rebelling against tyranny and other evil !!!CONTROL!!! junk.

imho, a lot of smoking starts in early teens in millions of lives.

And every one of those teens have had a significant degree of RAD--Attachment Disorder.

Which speaks of inadequate love, healthy affection, bonding--particularly with a healthy loving etc. but firm Dad. In 69 years, I've never known a single case otherwise.

And, as I've persistently said for decades--the time to solve teen problems is the first 6 years of life.

Otherwise, one is playing catch-up.

And it is absolutely true: Discipline [particularly harsh discipline] without sufficient RELATIONSHIP almost always results in REBELLION.

It is still sad, to me, to read so many self-justifying rants for doing something that is basically self-destructive. At a minimum, it is money that could be better spent on healthier, more constructive targets.

And, It is extremely paradoxical, hypocritical to read of the fierce rants against "anyone telling ME what to do with MY money & body." . . . as they comply RELIGIOUSLY & wholesale with the !!!CONTROL!!! manipulations of the tobacco companies and the oligarchy interested in furthering such addictions.

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

cigarette taxes

warning labels

warning pictures

I think you may be soap-boxing a bit here....LOL!
Bringing any religion into this is unnecessary. Not to mention not every smoker is christian, I certainly am not.
I'm offended you did.

People decide to smoke for many different reasons and NOT all in the teenage years. I didn't start till I was 25, married and successfully living independently.

It wasn't because I was peer-pressured, it wasn't because I was neglected as a child, it wasn't because I was uneducated. It certainly wasn't because of the Marlboro man and big tobacco's marketing!

They taste good and I like them, the KISS principle is applicable here.

Sweden had massive success with a vaccine that was an antismoking deferent and years ago it went to human trials. I showed it to my Internist. Surprisingly nothing has been heard since and guaranteed the FDA won't approve it.
There may be a day when I voluntarily wish to quit,
however should that day come I am not willing to be forced into needless discomfort when it absolutely ISN'T necessary.

Regardless everyone quits when they die, so don't give up hope,
ROFL!!!

edit on 8-6-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The overall creation of neurological structures is interesting, and universally applicable beyond this subject.

But, in the specific arena of smoking, I think we have some other factors in play that affect results. One being that many smokers tend to want to quit, or at least cut down. In this, individuals will tend to look for reasons to do so. Basically, I would ascribe the small discrepancy between groups on the novelty of a new reason, or excuse, to make a quit attempt. Even from the group with text only warnings, over a third made efforts to quit.

I'd suspect that in a market that has been saturated with images of this type for years, the difference between groups would be negligible at best.

In this respect, the pictorial warnings may well be marginally effective in the short term (as shown), in a market where they do not currently exist. However, as a long term solution, it may not only be subject to the issues with constant exposure (desensitization), but could even cause a slight increase in failed cessation attempts (for the reasons detailed in my previous post).

Personally, I'm a big advocate of vaping for these purposes. Though, with the air quality in large population centers, all of this may be a moot point to begin with.

I suppose its also noteworthy that rebellion against authority is common when that authority constantly breaches the trust implicit in the position. Off topic as an overall subject, but I do believe it plays a part in these things.
edit on 8-6-2016 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gator2001
Here is a pic of a cigarette pack here in the Philippines. I think it is kind of funny actually that they made this picture.

To answer the question, no, I don't think these pictures are effective as a deterrent.

LOLOLOL

Talk about below the belt!

I wonder how true that is.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join