It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try the all new Nonspecific, Now available in sober.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I had to get someone to take my cash and the beers away for now as I will not let this beat me.

Good move!

See, wise even through the pain!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I had to get someone to take my cash and the beers away for now as I will not let this beat me.

Good move!

See, wise even through the pain!

I was actually a bit disappointed I had too in truth.

Not drinking because you have no alcohol is a lot easier than not drinking when you have ice cold beers in the fridge.

Up until something happened I was good but it is sad that you cannot trust yourself not to do something.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Up until something happened I was good but it is sad that you cannot trust yourself not to do something.

Just the fact that you know yourself so well speaks volumes, IMO, about your chances of success.

Like so many have said here though, if you were to fail this attempt, there are many days following that you can try again.

Just thought I'd throw that in there even though it is likely unnecessary as you will succeed.

You will get through this!

Gotta run for a bit!

Will be checkin' in on you.

What is it? 9 o'clock there?

Stay strong brother!
edit on 8-6-2016 by TNMockingbird because: info

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Best of Good Luck to You My Friend! I hope all is well in Your world at present, and in the future!!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You're in my thoughts and prayers, man.

Shoot me a PM if you ever feel the need to rant--I'm very rantable.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

The trust comes with time. The urge, if that's the proper word for it, will always be there...the strength to ignore the urge will come, along with the trust, in time.

Give yourself the time. Don't be angry with yourself. You're healing. It ain't gonna happen over night.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Today was a hell of a lot better than I have felt in a long time either after stopping or before although I did actually do sod all apart from mooch the internet and watch bearing sea gold on series link until about 4 oclock in the afternoon.

It's the first time in I can't remember when I did nothing, no work, no housework, nada. It was an odd experience to do nothing but an enjoyable one.

This evening I had to help a friend move the last of his stuff from his old house into storage and the first time since I stopped I have been with more than one or two people at a time and a fair few of them drinking beers.

I handled it pretty well with everyone commenting on how much better I was looking already(I shaved my big beard and cut off most of my hair) and can see an improvement myself.

It was a bit unsettling but I managed it for a couple of hours before I felt like I needed to get away and get a bit of peace and I did not even think about a beer. I even found a rucksack of mine with a load of beeers in (I had beers everywhere by the end of just in case) and gave them away without hesitation.

It's now 22:22 and I am doing all the housework I did not do today but it's really hot here right now and we have no aircon in the uk on the whole so sleeping is a no-no although mrsnonspecific seems to have managed it.

Two more days and will be a whole week without alcohol or caffine, that may not seem like a lot but after the drinking 10-16 beers a day and maybe 12 coffees a day for many years believe me it is not easy as it sounds!

Onward and upwards ect....

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

A good day.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20832126]nonspecific[/post

Good luck to you nonspecific you sound just like my friend who died last year , He would go days without eating but still manage to drink 9 litres of cider a day .

He had a stroke and never made it out of the hospital , they took away his stomach because the pain killers he was taking with no food burned it away , poor guy it killed me to see him in the hospital like that .

You are only 39 plenty life left in you yet bud , i have ten years on you

ps try some Liddle lemon & ginger tea , i just gave up 30-40 cups of coffee a day for them

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Keep going and doing what you're doing! One step at a time, one day at a time. You can do this!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
-- snip --
As someone who has been there for years I would say be very careful when you start to find the thought of no alcohol in the evening a worry especially if you find yourself justifying it with having a hard day at work.
-- snip --

Wise words, indeed. I've lost so many music buddies to drugs, alcohol or both and none can ever be replaced. Every loss took a piece of me with it.

I've said it too many times to count, but ,if one person in a hundred listens, it bears repeating. "When you find yourself thinking, 'Boy... I sure could use a __Fill_in_the_Blank__ !' is the moment you know deep down the Very Last Thing you really need."

I am in your corner cheering you on!

edit on 6 10 2016 by CornShucker because: formatting

edit on 6 10 2016 by CornShucker because: formatting, again...

edit on 6 10 2016 by CornShucker because: formatting, yet again...

edit on 6 10 2016 by CornShucker because: spelling

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It is the hardest road you will ever travel and I wish you all the strength and success to reach the end of it, sober and whole.

I'm on the other side of the battle and have watched everything being stolen from our family because of alcohol. Including our family, our home and any security we had.

I won't ever go back while ever alcohol is in the picture. Now I am planning my long term future alone with my son permanently, I think I have finally realised I am fighting a losing battle. 3 lives destroyed because of alcohol. This has been going on for years and now I am arriving at the end of MY alcohol road. I don't drink yet it has stolen years of happiness from me and my son.

As desperate as the drinker is to stop drinking and save himself and everything else, so far for me the alcohol has won, it's pull is stronger than that of myself and child.

If it were up to me, alcohol would be illegal. It does more damage to families and society than any other drug. Yet, here we are surrounded by it.

I have little faith in a happy ending for my own family now ( I can't stop it, I'm absolutely powerless) but just wanted to tell you that I have every respect for you and I'm really really routing for you.

Alcohol is a thief and a liar. It tells you it will make you feel better and then robs you of everything precious.

Beat the son of a ....... And reclaim your life.

Positive vibes being sent your way.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
woo

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleHorizon
-- snip --
Alcohol is a thief and a liar. It tells you it will make you feel better and then robs you of everything precious.
-- snip --

Our town has a traditional fall festival that has changed considerably in the last twenty years due to the cost of booking youth oriented amusement rides and the scarcity of volunteers for game booths. As a result, kids get only a few token things to do and the rest of the emphasis is on food booths and the beer garden (with drastically reduced live music). When they moved the fest from the main four blocks of our downtown to the city park (several blocks southwest) that meant that the teen dance (one block north of downtown) is now on the opposite side of town. This has changed the dynamic from a family oriented festival to what are actually two widely separated events.

The reason I mention all this is a conversation I overheard a few years ago among some locals freshly out of high school. They were joking that the banners at the four entrances to town advertising the fest should say along the bottom, "It ain't no fun if you're not 21!"

Each person reacts to and handles alcohol (& any other intoxicant) in their own unique way. For some the "Fun" many have initially is very short-lived and compulsive use becomes a way of self-medicating personal issues they may not yet have even acknowledged they have.

Organizations such as AA have helped many, many people but their approach can unintentionally turn some away. Over simplified slogans like, "If you have been thinking you might have an alcohol problem, you already do" don't sit well with a lot of people who are already dealing with personal conflict, guilt and shame.

I think it would be more useful to phrase it more like this:

If you find yourself no longer enjoying a few drinks socially with friends and family and, rather than feeling like it is a celebration of Life, it feels as if it has become a way of hiding from Life, it may be time to ask for help.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
well 6 days was a little disapointing I will admit.

6 freaking days and I fall, what a sad sad state of affairs that is with all of my high hopes and all.

As I speak we have finally helped my very dear freind with MS move out of his house after his wife left him and made him sell it, right now the house is full of his stuff and he is in my sons room as he has to live here for a while.

Mrsnonspecific has gone as she has found someone esle that she feels makes her happier and I am trying to figure out where I am going to live in the very near future.

# it all, I can always have another go when things are a bit better eh

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Good on ya, it gets easier to stay sober with time. The hardest is the first few day. After a few months you wake up and look at life differently. You regain purpose, find beauty in small things, words an actions from others don't have the same reaction on you.

Have a sponsor if you can from AA; there are other many helpful tools from various organizations and the net. Remember you are not alone and others who have walked the same path are willing to assist!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thank you brother but your a little late to the party, see my aboveish post.

I will have another go in better circumstances.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

I probably do drink every night and the idea of getting home from work and not having a drink makes me anxious.

We are not supposed to judge but may I make the suggestion you seriously think about "giving up" .The anxiety is from the alcohol sedation/withdrawal cycle. Good luck and once you recognize you want to quit is the biggest first step.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I don't know what to say. On the one hand - whatever gets you through. On the other - now is the time to get yourself together and organise a plan of action.

I hope you've got friends who will give you the practical and emotional support you need. Willing as we all are, there's only so much we can do.

But please give us the opportunity to do whatever we can.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join