It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be the most intelligent life in the entire universe?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I am here to argue that humans are not the most intelligent life on earth and that every other species is, in fact, more intelligent than humans.

What is my argument? I don't see any other species that sabotages it's own existence and believes it's saving it's species by doing so.

Most species? If they're about to be eaten by a lion or something, that's just what happens. They're not intelligent enough to save themselves but that comes with a silver lining. They're not smart enough to fight nature. And it's actually dumb to fight nature and believe you're going to win.
sometimes you have to cut some fingers to save the arm I guess idk
edit on 7-6-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: ssenerawa

Like it would take soooo long to learn to build the first computer that race would have to not go extinct for probably millions of years

Wow - you like to throw "big numbers" out there. What have you based these assumptions on. Human thinking?

I can equally say something non-sensical like :

"Its taken us 10,000 years to cultivate maize and turn it into a preserved tin of food that I buy at a supermarket"

Whilst we were developing modern canning techniques and preservation, we had already succeeded in working out the steam engine - hows that for non-linear "technological evolution"

en.wikipedia.org...

French Origins[edit] During the first years of the Napoleonic Wars, the French government offered a hefty cash award of 12,000 francs to any inventor who could devise a cheap and effective method of preserving large amounts of food. The larger armies of the period required increased and regular supplies of quality food. Limited food availability was among the factors limiting military campaigns to the summer and autumn months. In 1809,

en.wikipedia.org...

The Spanish inventor Jerónimo de Ayanz y Beaumont obtained the first patent for a steam engine in 1606.[2] I

What?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Our thumbs helped make us a bit resourceful , but sadly our emotional IQ is still at primordial goop level.

There hopefully is something better to keep life going than us. We aren't very stable versions.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel
until we use clean energy and end world poverty then no i doubt it. only a an intelligent race would not have these factors

i think we have potentiall being the high up there. But until goverments stop supressing what we can and cant actually do then we in Limbo.

I agree with this. It's hard to claim we're "intelligent" life when we (as a species) willingly pollute our own waters, air, and soil. And we intentionally suppress food supplies to drive up their demand, regardless of the additional people who'll face food shortages because of this willful manipulation of food supplies. And we intentionally withhold medical services to people who haven't collected enough paper and other forms of "wealth". And with patents and copyrights, we intentionally withhold information & techniques that could change the lives of people around the globe.

And worse of all, we're so stupid that we hate each other over skin pigmentation, accents, body types ,and which piece of land we live on. I mean seriously, how stupid is that? An entire "nation" of people can hate and fight an entire "nation" of other people that they've never even met, just because those people live in a different imaginary boundary. Nationalism is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of; as if people are superior or inferior because they were born on a specific plot of land. That's just stupid.

As for the actual forms of intelligence, who knows. There are plenty of other animals that have incredibly high levels of intelligence, like octopus. Humans are just reaching a point where we're able to recognize different forms of intelligence and self awareness in nature. So there's a good chance that centuries from now, we'll realize that other lifeforms right here are actually smarter than us in many ways.
I agree completely, but the more the earth gets corroded, the more technology drives foward. With technology today earth could be spic and span in no time. electromagnetic energy and solar energy sources already exists as has for a while you can literally pull energy the electromagnetic energy from thin air. It's suppressed I guess for money.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Our thumbs helped make us a bit resourceful , but sadly our emotional IQ is still at primordial goop level.

There hopefully is something better to keep life going than us. We aren't very stable versions.
I mean if a different species learns to use technology the way we can. What do you think they would do? Take a dolphin for ex. Very smart. But they also get high off toxin purposely. and some also commit gang rapes

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I am here to argue that humans are not the most intelligent life on earth and that every other species is, in fact, more intelligent than humans.

Hardly an argument, more of a broad stroke brush...

I don't see any other species that sabotages it's own existence and believes it's saving it's species by doing so.

Didn't look very hard...

ipm.ncsu.edu...

Life History -- The black widow spider overwinters as a young adult in buildings or in sheltered places outdoors. In late spring, after a prolonged courtship, mating occurs. Soon afterward the female kills her mate and begins laying eggs

Most species? If they're about to be eaten by a lion or something, that's just what happens. They're not intelligent enough to save themselves

So you have never seen them in nature shows where they try to outrun the Lion - ok

And it's actually dumb to fight nature

So you sleep outdoors naked...are you a Luddite?.....hahaha
Plea for insects and animals eat their babies and or mates

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Real intelligence would be contemplation of your environment with change and innovation that does not harm the planet, or the rights of any of it's species that live and rely on it as well. I do not see that, do you? So... no.. we are not the most intelligent species in the universe, far from it.
You didn't look hard enough, real innovator nickola tesla he's not in your science books. But hey we all got eddison shoved down our throats. They want the system this way, it's not we're not intelligent, maybe greedy too? People like to look at humanity as a whole, when we all know every single person is fighting their own wars everyday
edit on 8-6-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel
until we use clean energy and end world poverty then no i doubt it. only a an intelligent race would not have these factors

i think we have potentiall being the high up there. But until goverments stop supressing what we can and cant actually do then we in Limbo.

I agree with this. It's hard to claim we're "intelligent" life when we (as a species) willingly pollute our own waters, air, and soil. And we intentionally suppress food supplies to drive up their demand, regardless of the additional people who'll face food shortages because of this willful manipulation of food supplies. And we intentionally withhold medical services to people who haven't collected enough paper and other forms of "wealth". And with patents and copyrights, we intentionally withhold information & techniques that could change the lives of people around the globe.

And worse of all, we're so stupid that we hate each other over skin pigmentation, accents, body types ,and which piece of land we live on. I mean seriously, how stupid is that? An entire "nation" of people can hate and fight an entire "nation" of other people that they've never even met, just because those people live in a different imaginary boundary. Nationalism is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of; as if people are superior or inferior because they were born on a specific plot of land. That's just stupid.

As for the actual forms of intelligence, who knows. There are plenty of other animals that have incredibly high levels of intelligence, like octopus. Humans are just reaching a point where we're able to recognize different forms of intelligence and self awareness in nature. So there's a good chance that centuries from now, we'll realize that other lifeforms right here are actually smarter than us in many ways.
I agree completely, but the more the earth gets corroded, the more technology drives foward. With technology today earth could be spic and span in no time. electromagnetic energy and solar energy sources already exists as has for a while you can literally pull energy the electromagnetic energy from thin air. It's suppressed I guess for money.

I agree. But there is a ray of hope. According to the article I'll link below, there were more renewable energy jobs in the US last year than in the oil and gas sector! I'm not sure how accurate it is. But if it's true, maybe the technology isn't being as suppressed as we're led to believe. In other words, maybe this is a case of them simply not reporting how much the technology is catching on?

Renewable Energy Jobs Surpass Oil and Gas Sector for First Time in U.S.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Here we are 60 years after that video was made, and we can't even reach the stars. Billions and Billions of stars, and we can't even get to the closest one. Man needs to pour all resources into focusing on interstellar travel.

After all the probes and photos..sending humans to Mars will be anti-climatic. We already know what they'll find.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

I'm with you, if we are really alone then what's the point? So much space and nothing else?!? *forehead beads with sweat*

Didn't say alone, just most advanced. Pretty sure the different sequences of Dna life would weight a tons if weighed on a scale.

By that I mean every unique sequence of DNA fibers added and weighed together, which obviously would take a number of strands of DNA sequences my brain can't understand just to equal a measly pound, let alone a ton.
stupid human brain.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Here we are 60 years after that video was made, and we can't even reach the stars. Billions and Billions of stars, and we can't even get to the closest one. Man needs to pour all resources into focusing on interstellar travel.

After all the probes and photos..sending humans to Mars will be anti-climatic. We already know what they'll find.

Humanity is still on that road. It's sad many will be left out all because of money. You guys realize wars are only for profit now. Logically speaking.

1. We fight with fists
2. Then stick and stones
3.then tools, spear, sword, arrows
4.then comes along guns, Then bombs, then lasers
5. guns, lasers, and bombs multiplied by 100.
6. Technology in space, on land, and in sea equipped with previous line 5.
7. And don't forget hundreds of Nukes like the hacker back in call of duty modern warfare 2

That being said we should've been at the point decades ago where no country is at war anymore because it's way too dangerous now and if one country sets a nuke. I'd bet a a dollar to a dime if you're about to die you're gonna take your enemy with you. So every country sets a nuke then poof no earth. But we're still doing stuff like war, like wtf? I do like a good conspiracy

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

Could we be the most intelligent life in the entire universe?

As stupid as humans are? Absolutely not!
What humans?

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

"Could we be the most intelligent life in the entire universe?"

For our next national leader, we'll get to choose between two of the most hated candidates of all time. I really, really, really hope that more intelligent life exists somewhere.
Lol I actually think if no us citizen voted secretly at the last minute somehow, that the president would be chosen and we'd see it's all rigged but that'll never happen

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I sincerely hope we aren't the most intelligent life in any universe. If so, the universe needs to have a think or two about 'putting all your eggs in one basket.' Otherwise I'm picturing a universe with one solitary candle and how easily its bright flame can go out.

I guess we *could* be immersed in an invisible ecosystem of gods and godlets whilst the intelligences of every life that's ever gone before washes around us. We could have 'breakaway civilisations' sharing our public spaces and entirely unnoticed. We could be a bubble of intelligent life in a simulated reality aboard a vessel traversing the silent depths of interstellar space. Who knows?

All we know for sure is, currently, we're the most intelligent life-form in the known universe. Poor universe...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET

Humanity? REALLY? Capitol "N" Capitol "O"

How are we not because of your individual little perspective of good and evil? What if I merged with some nano technology a ibm's most advanced processor brain chip, 1 eye 1080 camera, night vision, X-ray, infrared. Complete with zooming in recording. Snapping pics etc.. and could control electromagnetic fields, including stuff like wifi, Bluetooth. Things like replace deterioating cells with new ones etc it's endless literally. We ran out of science fiction a long time ago do the research

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

This is tough every one of are equations say there should be thousands of species many with billions of years head start. But if so where is everyone?? Even our estimates tell us in our galaxy should be type two and type 3 civilizations and they a should have colonized large portions of the galaxy. You can claim we just can't detect them but sadly they have to play the game by the same rules of physics we do. Light doesn't act differently just because you live somewhere else. So we must be forced to ask where is everyone and why our searches have found nothing.

Well there is a theory to explain this currently I believe it's estimated in our galaxy should be around 100000 intelligent species as a conservative estimate. But something stops them from moving into class two and class 3 civilizations and colonizing the galaxy.

This is what's to refered to as the great filter. Something stops intelligent species from advancing forward maybe it's internal conflict and they kill themselves maybe it's some cataclysm but thus filter manages to stop advancing species. Could we be the first to cross this barrier ? This indeed would make us the most intelligent species in the galaxy. I'd say the most important question becomes what is this filter since just from our perspective it would be good to know since depending on where the Great Filter occurs, we’re left with three possible realities. We’re rare, we’re first, or we’re screwed.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

This is tough every one of are equations say there should be thousands of species many with billions of years head start. But if so where is everyone?? Even our estimates tell us in our galaxy should be type two and type 3 civilizations and they a should have colonized large portions of the galaxy. You can claim we just can't detect them but sadly they have to play the game by the same rules of physics we do. Light doesn't act differently just because you live somewhere else. So we must be forced to ask where is everyone and why our searches have found nothing.

Well there is a theory to explain this currently I believe it's estimated in our galaxy should be around 100000 intelligent species as a conservative estimate. But something stops them from moving into class two and class 3 civilizations and colonizing the galaxy.

This is what's to refered to as the great filter. Something stops intelligent species from advancing forward maybe it's internal conflict and they kill themselves maybe it's some cataclysm but thus filter manages to stop advancing species. Could we be the first to cross this barrier ? This indeed would make us the most intelligent species in the galaxy. I'd say the most important question becomes what is this filter since just from our perspective it would be good to know since depending on where the Great Filter occurs, we’re left with three possible realities. We’re rare, we’re first, or we’re screwed

imho Billions even trillions of years head start is nothing compared to just 300 years of technology.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I'm emitting IR right now. Can't see it. Haven't become invisible, either.

Can;t or won't? If the ELM were a roll of film 2500 miles long what you can see is one inch of that film. Besides the spectrum being open ended so we don't what else is out there, pretty arrogant to state "I can't see it".

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'm emitting IR right now. Can't see it. Haven't become invisible, either.

Can;t or won't? If the ELM were a roll of film 2500 miles long what you can see is one inch of that film. Besides the spectrum being open ended so we don't what else is out there, pretty arrogant to state "I can't see it".

No, no I'm pretty sure I can't see far IR with my eyes.

The trope is that if something is "colored" or "glowing" in some color you can't see, it becomes invisible. Yet, I'm glowing in IR and I am pretty damned sure IR isn't something I can see. That glow has failed to make me invisible. Trope smashed.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

People didn't see at night before electric lights either. Don't close off possibilities. You have a scientific inquiring mind, right?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join