It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help restore my faith in ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: calstorm

This place has a history of becoming berserk right around election time. Given the fact that at least two nations, represented solidly in the membership here, are currently undergoing political upheaval, it's little wonder that things are less than satisfactory at the moment.

Ride the wave,
It's almost broke,
Stay on your board,
And do not choke!

Add to that........summer vacation for the kiddies and you get a swamp of unintelligent and reactionary half-replies based on titles.

Ride the wave? Not this year. Life is too short to wade through the sh*t just to get to the pig. I'll be back in the winter........or not. Depends on how you kids behave.

My condolences for your loss calstorm. I'll say a prayer for ya. Take care.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Like you said...

ATS is a practically Bedlam when it's a US election year. Having the Brexit thing happening as well does not make it any easier.

Even after the POTUS election in November it will still take a while to quieten down. There will be enough sour grapes to make a million gallons of vinegar.

But at least on ATS there are always some "safe haven" forums where political discussions very rarely intrude. I tend to take shelter in them as the "first Tuesday after the first Monday in November" draws nigh...

And for the OP, that's another point: surviving on ATS is something of a skill. You have to learn how much you can take and also know when to bail out and read something else. When politics or some flavor-of-the-month hot topic seems to run more rampant than a herd of demented elephants (apologies to all elephants reading here), I look for a good refuge, like eg JKROG08's brilliant threads. I can spend hours and hours just re-reading his extraordinarily detailed and superbly researched material and only wish he were still among the living and giving us more insights from his brilliant mind.

JKROG08 was the epitome of what ATS is about and a shining example to us all.

edit on 7/6/16 by JustMike because: Link coding fixed

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
I have been a member here for nearly 7 years. Over the last 7 to 8 months I felt I needed to take a break from the site for two main reasons:

1. I was in a deep mental and emotional struggle following the tragic death of my family compounded by a blood-borne infection that resulted in hypercytokinemia.

2. Very few people actually seemed to be reading what myself or many others wrote. People are/were reading titles and responding solely based on the title of the thread or they were skimming over posts missing key details.

ATS is a very important place for me in which I have a sentimental attachment. I am not the same person as I was when I made my way here. Not only has ATS been a been a wealth of knowledge, there as been many wonderful people who have helped challenge my thinking and helped me see many social, religious and political issues in a new light. Please place an x in a word in which it does not belong in your repxly. Without ATS I don't think I would have the belief sets and the personal growth I currently have in my life. I owe that to many amazing members. Of course along with that comes the bad. The trolls, the heated emotionally driven posts that I myself am guilty of, and of course, the people who type before they read or even think. So I am asking all of you to help show me that there are still plenty of amazing members here, even if I disagree with you on issues, to help me overlook the ones that frustrate me like I was able to do at the beginning of my ATS journey.

And how exactly are we supposed to do this for you?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

We are forged in the fire of lifes exxperiences. Yu say you have grown and become more aware during your time here. I second that.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think things go in phases here on ATS. You are absolutely correct in your observation about people reacting and responding to the headline. Sometimes I think it's because the headline matches the readers existing belief. People are very very bad at admitting their existing belief is wrong, which is a shame. We had a phase where the "end of the world" believers were dominating ATS, especially when that comet headed in our direction. We are currently on the receiving end of an awful lot of bigoted threads and responses due in no small part to the problems in Europe and the atypical election candidates in the US. These folks will tire and leave as did the "end of the worlders".

Throughout these threads there are reasonable responses by regulars you may even disagree with but at least they present a reasoned argument. The narrow minded lot usually resort to name calling! Another giveway is the rambling response as if the person is as high as a kite and can't type fast enough or sounds like an eleven year old!

I'm sticking with it for now although the islamaphobia is getting tiresome even for me. Maybe the death of a great American muslim will calm things down.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Taxe a break from this place for a bit. it sounds like you have a lot going on in your head and a clear perspective might be just the thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Maybe its just me, clicking on members threads you linked returns me to the front page. A search of user name doesn't return a member post or thread either…

(?)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The problum with ATS is the MODs, they pamper to the lower echelons in order to get more hits from the ads. This means that people who think and spend time reading the posts are seen as a "no money maker". Its what ATS is, a firm who need to make money and who can blame them.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I look for a good refuge, like eg JKROG08's brilliant threads. I can spend hours and hours just re-reading his extraordinarily detailed and superbly researched material and only wish he were still among the living and giving us more insights from his brilliant mind.

Anyone else get redirected to the front page when clicking on threads in the above link?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I have not much to say.

So I press X

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I look for a good refuge, like eg JKROG08's brilliant threads. I can spend hours and hours just re-reading his extraordinarily detailed and superbly researched material and only wish he were still among the living and giving us more insights from his brilliant mind.

Anyone else get redirected to the front page when clicking on threads in the above link?

Yeah all links seem to redirect to the homepage for me too, not only threads but things like flags, posts, replies, wall and forums on the left too.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
i remember you from your early days.

And i've seen the growth you talk about. I remember one time thinking, "Wow, she's changed her viewpoint" on a topic you were on about 4 years ago.

RE: the other contributions from other members....ignore that. You will never be able to control what other people do. You can only control yourself. So ignore what frustrates you in others, since you are powerless to change it. Its the best I can offer, and it works quite well for me.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I woulxd have to agree with your observations. I enjoy this community very much, and sometimes the inconsiderate nature of the comments can be quite irritating.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It's the twitter generation, and sometimes we all fall prey to it. It seems our attention span gets shorter and shorter, and we skim, more and moxre. I catch myself doing it occasionally, and it annoys me.

My sincere condolences to you. Losing close family is not so much an event, as it is a process that takes time.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Very sorry for your loss.

People only read what either intrigues them, or what already agrees with their own beliefxs.

I have spent literally hours on a thread only to have a couple comments, or have someone respond right away denouncing me as wrong, when there is no way they could have read all the information I put in one place. It is what it is and you can't learn for people. I have been guilty of it too and have decided to take more time before replying (unless I think of a witty one liner) and actually try to view things from a differing perspective.

The person driving down the highway with their bright lights on might be annoying and distracting but, it could be a single parent who was just laid off from their job and spent their last paycheque on rent and food with nothing left over to fix the headlights. There are usually reasons for everything, it's just hard to see.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

. People are/were reading titles and responding solely based on the title of the thread or they were skimming over posts missing key details

I am guilty of that. I will try to do better.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Im afraid that the number here that assasinate good threads is growing,straining at gnats to prove their intellectual superiority,many good posters dont bother creating threads anymore as deny ignorance has degenerated to destroy original thought and the avante guard.I am basically here for news and analysis these days there are still some good posters here but they are thicker skinned than me I dont like being annihalated piecemeal every time I post or held to standards requiring a doctorate on the subject.This is still a more civil site than most but what I said is a hard truth that needed to be said.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

edit on 7-6-2016 by khnum because: double post

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
Im afraid that the number here that assasinate good threads is growing,straining at gnats to prove their intellectual superiority,many good posters dont bother creating threads anymore as deny ignorance has degenerated to destroy original thought and the avante guard.I am basically here for news and analysis these days there are still some good posters here but they are thicker skinned than me I dont like being annihalated piecemeal every time I post or held to standards requiring a doctorate on the subject.This is still a more civil site than most but what I said is a hard truth that needed to be said.

You , me and many others have said the same thing many times, but it falls on blind eyes and deaf ears of the owners and MODs. The lower Echelon is where the click bate and money from ads are so its not going to change.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Some really good members do seem to have departed hexre, but still there is always something to learn.
Interestingly, it's often just a word or sentence seen that takes me off in a completely new direction, or something that is said clicks into place for me about a different subject altogether.

<< 1    3 >>

join