It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: One in Billion Chance We AREN’T Living in a Computer Simulation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
ACTIVIST POST

By Melissa Dykes

2 Jun 2016

www.activistpost.com...

Billionaire Tesla head Elon Musk recently told a tech conference in California that the chance is “one in billions” that we are not living in a simulated world.
In other words, it’s almost a certainty that we’re all walking around in something akin to The Matrix — a computer-generated reality run by artificial intelligence — right this minute and the majority of us don’t even realize it.
. . .
The difference is, Musk is a respected billionaire everyone seems fascinated by; or at least they aren’t letting on that they think his suggestion is in any way out of the realm of possible… By contrast, while Dick was also a respected sci-fi writer, when he gave the audience his opinion about The Matrix, they all sort of looked at him like he was nuts.
. . .

Note . . . I've not watched all of the videos.
I've thought about this issue some.
I know that Dr Chuck Missler has mentioned it and seems to believe it in one of his youtubes.
I do have a fairly intense conviction that Almighty God Yehovah prefers that we relate to Him, Life and each other as though what we observe were as "real" as we 'seem' to experience it. I don't think there's anything lastingly good to be gained from trying to get behind the curtain and figure out the programming of the simulation.
I don't even think we COULD succeed at that in the short term.
Though there is that cryptic comment by God when He messed up the one language business at Babel--that if the God-head did NOT do that, there would be nothing eventually hidden from the humans.
Therefore what?
I don't know. I think it's an interesting idea.
I don't know what the implications are that we can put any stock in.
Y'all's thoughts on the issue, possibility and the implications?
Wouldn't time be a variable that would also be easily manipulated in such a 'matrix?'

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Why would Yahweh, the god of a small tribal nation with a fake history, be the Almighty God?

Only because he is a tech giant and billionaire is anyone listening to him.

We will not know for sure until we die.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
precisamundo......Christian prophecy expert here......agreed....I died once at D F W airport....as a ramp agent.....I saw the sim......perfectly peaceful....but I wasn't even hurt or remotely interested about that tug and 6 baggage cars piled up against the pylon.....what I saw was the frozen view of the baggage car inside corner.....after the loud bang.....that view was frozen there for an apparent 3 seconds....very peaceful 3 seconds.....then I was just standing.....not even interested....
....I saw the sim....it was frozen for just a bit

edit on 6-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I dont buy it. Basically, there are things we do not yet understand about the universe. Therefore the easy copout explanation is to say 'computer simulation.' Yeah right. Theyll figure it out one day. Maybe. Just need a better explanation than this easy out that keeps getting thrown around lately.

I guess it also depends on your definition of a computer simulation. Wouldnt 'they' be in the simulation as well? Idk...ive been dead before. Had the OBE NDE and all that jazz. I never saw any sim or anything like that. I saw the world continueing to go on while I was out. So the universe is definitely a real enough place imo.
edit on 6-6-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Hmmmm.

OK. Sounds a bit freaky.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
I dont buy it. Basically, there are things we do not yet understand about the universe. Therefore the easy copout explanation is to say 'computer simulation.' Yeah right. Theyll figure it out one day. Maybe. Just need a better explanation than this easy out that keeps getting thrown around lately.

So you're saying cause there are things we don't understand, you refuse to believe something you don't agree with or don't understand? You do though agree with the beliefs of those who don't understand what they don't believe?

link   
a reply to: LenatasataneL

Maybe not even then.

What if our expectations of god, death and life-after-death play as large a role in what happens to our souls after we die as the Tibetans, ancient Egyptians and others believed?

These cultures believed that death was something you spent a long time prepping for, and that others, left behind you in the land of the living also had duties and responsibilities to perform if a newly dead persons spirit was to rise correctly, beyond the wub.

What if people who believe in nothing, get nothing, while those who believe in reincarnation and karma are immediately weighed and sent back? What if the Christians get their pearly-gates and final judgement, and the Muslims get their garden of earthly delights + 73 virgins?

And what if all of them are horribly wrong, and the illusions of those particular afterlife's are just the bait on a very long line?

If you wait until you are dead before you train your "spirit" to resist easy answers and avoid false promises, it will probably be too late. Than what?

I have no idea what to believe, but I do believe I shall be keeping my heart open and my "eyes" pealed, just in case.

link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I certainly think that whatever our 'reality' is, it is clearly REAL enough to encompass something convincingly like some sort of 'authentic' life and death.

link   

Pretty boring program we're in. I could think of something better. Whoever wrote this one sucks.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Cool can't wait to see when this world comes out from beta version.

I understand the reasons behinds this theory, but many people think that there is computer behind this simulation.

If you understand computers then you know that this simulation is impossible with machine. Maybe it is machine but it is not 0.01% like the most modern computers we know now. It is not working on known principles and sure is not having the same principle hardware.

In today's time we can't even simulate one human brain and supposedly this machine simulates 7 billions and rising and where is the rest of world.

Just because some particles act like they are saving processing and memory is far from a proof that we live in simulated world.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Oh I have no intentions of waiting until I die to prepare for it.

I'm reading scripture from different religions every day and always contemplating the reality of the All.

Just so many what ifs exist how do you know for sure who is right?

But I think along the same lines as you about believing and what not.

I think if you learn the art of Gnosis you evolve spiritually if not you either reincarnate or temporarily go to a place of punishment then reincarnate.

If you discover the True God who is not in any book you have discovered yourself.
edit on 6-6-2016 by LenatasataneL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

K, I'll go first (or not). I've often wondered the same thing. Most of us have I imagine. Not a simulation with a metal data spike in the back of your head but something much craftier.

I have read thousands of NDE accounts. This is where most people tune me out. In NDE as soon as the body shuts down 'pop' out you come and you see things in a "more" vivid way and reality becomes much more intense. You see the reality of where you came from as something like a dream. How many times I have I read an account where after they left they knew they were home and that life after death was the more true reality? Many..

I have also read things like how Nostradamus would achieve his visions. I came to the conclusion that the simulator is the human body. As long as you are receiving input (smell, sight, touch, sound, etc) the simulation can be easily maintained. I also think sleep is a way to keep the sensory input reality alive otherwise we would start to break free. Sleep is the simulation recharge.

Did I just ponder this intellectually? No, I tried something that is very hard. I had no sensory deprivation tank to test my theory so every night before I went to sleep I "dodged" thought and tried to dodge my senses. I know that sounds weird. But for a while there I was having very lucid dreams. Some of them were even coming true.

On a really weird note I stopped doing this because something that was happening more and more frequently in the mornings was I was being told to "wake up". I'll be honest, it wasn't a pleasant voice and I could almost picture the grin when whatever it was did this to me. It was scaring me more than a little even though I wanted to continue to pursue what I was doing. I would go from sound asleep to being as awake as I am now in an instant when the voice told me to wake up.

I have read a few religious texts and these further convince me this is some type of simulation. How to break free though and if we can break free at will (OBE) is there any place to go without still being stuck in some aspect of a simulation. If something can create to us what seems a very elaborate simulation I would imagine they would have fail safe measures in place for those that don't want to go all in on this reality. Maybe even a scary voice.

edit on 6-6-2016 by Apollumi because: Lol, first requires me to be a faster typist

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

I once read a quote . . .

The truly intelligent need never be bored anywhere.

I discovered in my job as a Radioman in a room alone facing 3' thick concrete walls . . . that my mind could be anywhere. I didn't have to be bored even in that situation waiting in mostly silence for radio signals informing that WWIII had started.

At this point, I think that, boredom, like beauty, tends to be in the eyes, and brain of the beholder.

edit on 6/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So we are all running around as characters in gods "world of Warcraft".

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: saadad

I think there's plenty of reason to be skeptical of such a scenario.

I'm doubtful it's the case. Though I think it is conceivable.

The purported mathematical etc stuff that some claim indicates that it's the REAL case . . . wellll, that's quite beyond me.

I haven't even researched the conventional summaries of such theories well at all.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Apollumi

That sounds like a very interesting set of experiences.

Wow.

Glad you are . . . still . . . together and more or less cool about it.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

If there's any truth to the simulation metaphor or theory--then I am convinced that God would name it something quite different than Warcraft.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That's all fascinating but it begs a question: IF this is a highly advanced simulation, completely indistinguishable from reality, what is the chance we put ourselves here on purpose?

Shouldn't we be trying to "win?"

Who plays the latest "Call of Duty" game to quit at some arbitrary point before "winning" or accomplishing some goal or other?

Put another way: imagine a world where the population has been decimated by something awful, and the remaining "people" live their daily lives knowing they caused their own "fall." Now imagine this world is very similar to our own, except 200+ years in the future, and we have depleted most of our natural resources, and driven the remaining animals to (near) extinction. What if it's all bugs, and bug soup and bug gruel and burying corpses while you slowly drop dead?

Now imagine that a technology exists which can simulate a lifetime in some historical period or other. Imagine that the future humans face a choice: die slowly from dwindling resources and a poisonous environment, or log into a game and live an entire lifetime (or more) there, before you die?

Maybe that's why the AI who worked the human farm in the Matrix looked so much like spiders? Maybe the last thing we saw, before logging on to our birth in this simulation was insects, crawling all over our pods?

I'd be very careful what I wished for.

edit on 6-6-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There are billions of stories of seeing behind one of the likely infinite curtains at death or during peak experiences... my own father died for ten minutes before his final death and reported it was like waking up from a dream to a hyper reality. He couldn't emphasize enough how drab this reality seemed in comparison.

My other family members opined that he just freaked from the drugs they gave him in ICU, and I can't say it wasn't just that, though they didn't talk about it with him for most of a night, either.

He mentioned that it is (paraphrased after almost 30 years) "no wonder not many come back here and visit loved ones, as it is like you awake from a dream, and do you want to inform your dream characters that you are okay once awake?"

He also mentioned a totality of awareness, or god, that was the universe and was torus shaped and ever exploding- enfolding, and he had a low opinion of organized religion and really expected nothing but a nice absence of consciousness.

I also know other folks who've experienced something similar under certain chemicals... and they are now utterly certain that this reality can be likened to futuristic virtual reality ride, or xbox 3000.

Having run into dis-incarnate intelligence myself, thinking we stop experiencing at death is no longer my own working model, despite knowing the logic of that materialist view... and wishful thinking is certainly part of the equation, but the experiences exist and some of them defy easy explanation.

And Musk's logic and math (that was posited long before his remark) is good... we could be several layers deep in an ancestor simulation, and thus only artificially aware... which might be why so many psychedelic users freak out at some point in their journey... it can be startling to find you are an NPC in a simulation.

But that likely means the "real" you is out there, existing as it always has in some form, or reconstituted and living in a computer.. .

and even if we do really stop when our nervous system degenerates, then we are still part of the greater whole of reality, and thus our information is somewhere in the universe... and thus very probably retrievable at some point of the tech scale.

One thing I know for sure is that this experience of existing in this universe is much, much weirder than even the most insane would guess.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

That sounds like a very interesting set of experiences.

Wow.

Glad you are . . . still . . . together and more or less cool about it.

Cheers.

I have read a great deal on this. No choice but to be cool about it. You will live an infinite number of lives that will be better or worse than this one. This thought used to depress the crap out of me but it won't matter because each of those lives will be as convincing as the one your are currently living. From the perspective of the spirit this life (particular simulation) is over in the blink of an eye. It's like going on vacation from perfection. As soon as you get out you go "Cool, throw me back in coach!"

I have concluded the above as fact. It's from all the accounts I have read and one experience I have had. The only damn thing I can't figure out is what is the purpose of this "simulation". Is there a purpose even to it? Sometimes I think that if you lived life as all things, a murder, a king, a man, a woman, a planet, an atom, etc in this simulation then you might be able to have an interesting conversation with God and he wouldn't be bored to death. I think, or suspect, that God is making co-creators and the only way that can happen is if you have been all things good and bad, simple and great. You would simply become "I am".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join