It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway now allows trans people to decide their own gender

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Norway has become the fourth country in the world to allow trans people to decide their own gender. Politicians voted in favour of the law, which will allow trans people to change their legal gender by filling out a simple form and also opens up the process up to children as young as six.

The final vote today, June 6, saw the law approved by 79 votes to 13. Norway is the fourth country to do this, following Denmark, Malta and Ireland.

Trans people over 16 will be able to change their own legal gender without parental permission, while parents can authorise a legal gender change for their child between the ages of 6 and 15.

Fellow co-chair Brian Sheehan added: “The Norwegian vote sends out a strong message to other European governments. Oppressive preconditions, such as medical interventions, psychiatric diagnosis or sterilisation, need to be consigned to history.

I have followed Frieja and Annee's crusade on ATS, even as a lurker. They have helped me to understand and empathise with the real issues facing transgender children today. I still have a knee-jerk reaction towards young children being taught to question their sexuality as part of the new social justice agenda. That does not mean I am bigoted or transphobic. I just think it is unnecessary overkill. Teaching children about equality and tolerance is commendable. The need for providing supportive structures for children that suffer from gender dysphoria is also compelling. Norway, Denmark, Malta and Ireland are a fine example to the world.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad
That's it baby, I'm moving to Norway!!

Oh wait, trans?
I read that as trance and I was like, I love trance.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

According to the title you'd still be deciding your own gender. Whether you are a trance fan or a trans. Something you're not telling us?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Way to go Norway!
Interesting and thought provoking second line.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

Norway has become the fourth country in the world to allow trans people to decide their own gender. Politicians voted in favour of the law, which will allow trans people to change their legal gender by filling out a simple form and also opens up the process up to children as young as six.

The final vote today, June 6, saw the law approved by 79 votes to 13. Norway is the fourth country to do this, following Denmark, Malta and Ireland.

Trans people over 16 will be able to change their own legal gender without parental permission, while parents can authorise a legal gender change for their child between the ages of 6 and 15.

Fellow co-chair Brian Sheehan added: “The Norwegian vote sends out a strong message to other European governments. Oppressive preconditions, such as medical interventions, psychiatric diagnosis or sterilisation, need to be consigned to history.

I have followed Frieja and Annee's crusade on ATS, even as a lurker. They have helped me to understand and empathise with the real issues facing transgender children today. I still have a knee-jerk reaction towards young children being taught to question their sexuality as part of the new social justice agenda. That does not mean I am bigoted or transphobic. I just think it is unnecessary overkill. Teaching children about equality and tolerance is commendable. The need for providing supportive structures for children that suffer from gender dysphoria is also compelling. Norway, Denmark, Malta and Ireland are a fine example to the world.

It's a mental disorder. We don't need to accept them, we need to help them. If you are confused about the gender you see in the mirror.........you need help.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

What a waste of time and money. Too bad it has already been decided for them naturally.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Pretty soon people will be prosecuting nature for the very real bigotry of having approximately half of us be born with XX chromosomes while the other half are born with XY. I mean, clearly, those genetics are superfluous and just unnecessary discrimination by nature.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why even have the gender on identification cards or birth certificates if any mental individual can claim to be something they are not?

Also, I thought there was a difference between sex and gender. I thought gender was a mental thing, and sex was a physical thing. So why does one's self-proclaimed gender allow them to change their sex on their IDs?
edit on 6-6-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Politicians voted in favour of the law, which will allow trans people to change their legal gender by filling out a simple form and also opens up the process up to children as young as six.

That is going to end well. Lets let children as young as six who cannot even pen down their signature use and sign a legal form in which they can declare that they decided that they are transgender and let them change their sex.

But at the same time lets all agree that they are not old and able enough to consent to it.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 06 Jun 2016 18:14:20 -05001620166America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You know what. By now that wouldn't even surprise me anymore. Which is very sad and twisted if you think about it for a minute.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

If you're confused about the asshole you see in the mirror, you need help.
Also, you need to keep up with the flow of information and reading comprehension. The DSM 5 removed gender dysphoria from it's mental disorders. It is now accepted as a healthy fact. Need I remind you that women having a sex drive used to be considered a mental disorder is the manuals for mental health professionals?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Pretty soon people will be prosecuting nature for the very real bigotry of having approximately half of us be born with XX chromosomes while the other half are born with XY. I mean, clearly, those genetics are superfluous and just unnecessary discrimination by nature.

Actually that is incorrect. Your assessment of half suggests that a clean split (50/50) of humanity is either male or female. I am afraid that science is not on your side and that your belief throws intersex people who have XXY, XXXY, XX/XY, and other variations under the bus.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX

It's a mental disorder. We don't need to accept them, we need to help them. If you are confused about the gender you see in the mirror.........you need help.

If anything it should be supported and helped. But what we are seeing here exploding out of nowhere is not acceptance of these differences and defects but Celebration of it. Even to the point of marketing to children as young as that.

Next up people will be over the moon if their child is born with Down-Syndrome.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So does this mean if a 12 year old boy wants to get in to the girls locker room all he has to do is fill out a form saying he identifies as a girl and get his parent to sign it?

I can think of some 12 year old boys who wanted to get in there pretty badly, but I don't know if they would go that far.

Maybe society should be more accepting of gay boys who like girly things, then maybe they wouldn't feel like they need to change their gender. Or vice-versa for girls who like boy things, but in modern culture it's much more acceptable for women to wear men's clothes than the converse.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

But what we are seeing here exploding out of nowhere is not acceptance of these differences and defects but Celebration of it.

Please do not mistake the genuine plight of these kids as part of the celebration agenda which is manufactured by the vindictive, bullying, sociopathic third wave feminists. They use transgender folk, along with other minority groups, as mere puppets to be used to forward their own selfish agenda. They are primarily responsible for the current mindset of body-policing and transantagonism.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: B14ckC47

DMS 5 didn't remove anything. They just renamed it to "gender dysphoria" because transgender community complained about it until it was changed.

It still exists in the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" because it is still a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: B14ckC47

He said "approximately", which should have protected him from trigger happy people such as your self.

Mind you, a "large majority" of transgender people don't have these extra chromosomes.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
At first I thought "Pretty interesting"

Then I read

parents can authorise a legal gender change for their child between the ages of 6 and 15.

RIP Denmark.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

But what we are seeing here exploding out of nowhere is not acceptance of these differences and defects but Celebration of it.

Please do not mistake the genuine plight of these kids as part of the celebration agenda which is manufactured by the vindictive, bullying, sociopathic third wave feminists. They use transgender folk, along with other minority groups, as mere puppets to be used to forward their own selfish agenda. They are primarily responsible for the current mindset of body-policing and transantagonism.

If transgenderism so so rare and such a minority then why do we need a form that is so accessible to children of 6 and upwards to handle their issues ? We dont. They can be dealt with on a case to case base which is a lot healthier then just saying to the world "Here is a form and any time of the week you feel you need to change your sex in your passport feel free to do so".

And do children at the age of six really worry about what their passport says? Is it so mind destroying for them that we need a form that allows them to do this even though statistically almost no children are truly transgender or even allowed to change their actual sex organs (and sure as hell should not be allowed to).

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 06 Jun 2016 18:37:21 -05001620166America/Chicago by everyone because: typo

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You raise some valid concerns. Its is getting late here in the UK. If these have not been answered when I log in tomorrow I will attempt to answer them. I will search for any problems with this being implemented in Denmark, Malta and Ireland. I am curious about this myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join