It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Party’s Jill Stein Tells Californians, ‘Please Vote For Bernie’ If Able

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Here is something that you just don't see very often, a candidate of one party, in this case the Green Party telling their supporters to vote for another parties candidate, Sen Sanders who is a Democrat. While it is not an earth shaking event, it does make one stop and think.

Myself I would love to see a Sanders & Stein ticket, but for now we will watch the Dems through their July convention.

There is talk from Sen Sanders Supporter of Exodus 7/29 2016, this to be the Sanders supporters exit from the Democratic party (change their voter registration) if Sanders is not chosen in the Democrats primary.

The Green Party’s likely presidential nominee, Jill Stein, penned an open letter to Californians on Friday calling for “All hands on deck!” In an unprecedented call to action that, if acted upon, could significantly cost the Green Party votes in November, Jill Stein told all Californians who are currently registered to vote as “No Party Preference” or “Democrat” to cast their vote for Bernie Sanders in the June 7 primary.

“California voters have a chance to put us on the road to revolutionary change in the June 7 primary,” Stein wrote. “At this historic moment, as voters reject the Clinton and Trump campaigns with record high levels of dislike and mistrust, I ask not just for your vote for me, but also for your vote for Bernie. These votes are powerfully synergistic as we build an historic grassroots movement and a political vehicle to carry it forward.”

“If you are registered as a Democrat or as ‘No Party Preference’,” Stein wrote, “please vote for Bernie in the Democratic primary.”

Stein says that it’s Senator Sanders, not Hillary Clinton, who shows any significant chance of beating Trump. Stein wrote that Hillary’s establishment insiders will tell Californians to vote against what they fear instead of what they actually believe in. She says that voting out of fear has so far delivered everything that left-leaning voters are afraid of.

“All the reasons we were told to vote for the lesser evil – because you didn’t want massive Wall Street bailouts, the offshoring of our jobs, the meltdown of the climate, the attack on immigrants and our civil liberties, the expanding prison state, endless war – that’s exactly what we’ve gotten because we allowed ourselves to be silenced.”

Stein also offered a future solution to the powerful control gained to the establishment through the use of vote splitting fears, which have historically strong armed Americans into voting for a candidate in a major party.

“In fact, the problem of vote splitting could be solved with the stroke of a pen with Ranked Choice Voting, which is used in cities around the nation. California and other state legislatures could pass it right now and avoid any ‘spoiling’ of the presidential election. But the machine Democrats have refused to consider such bills because they rely on fear to coerce your vote. That in itself tells you they’re not on your side, and do not deserve your vote.”

source

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Not a bad effort by Stein.

But IF Hillary gets the nomination, what will Jill recommend then?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If the Bern really means what he says. after Hillary gets the nomination, he would tell his supporters to vote for Stein. Since publicly, they are the most alike. I am guessing he will pour the Kool Aide for Clinton, like it was his job.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I thought Stein was rather clever in this, she sides with Sanders and his supporters while getting her name in the press also, a win win situation.

Still hope Sanders runs Green if not nominated by the dems, Dr Steins statement adds to the possibilities!

edit on 6-6-2016 by AlaskanDad because: typo clean up

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Just wondering.

Do the Greens rig their own presidential nominee selection process like the DNC did with "superdelegates"?

Why can't Bernie have 500 superdelegates like Hillary.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I never heard of Jill Stein, but when I took the 'I side with" quiz, she came up as my 1st choice.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Stein is just as bad or worse than Bernie in my opinion. As a relatively well off small business owner neither of them are going to be representing my best interests come November.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Good point.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I imagine she will continue trying to convince Sanders to run on the ticket with her as VP.

If he declines, I imagine she will run for president again herself on the Green ticket.

This cycle though, who knows? It's anyone's guess.

top topics

join